Old 06-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #21

I talked to a couple who were pulling an Eddie Baur Edition Airstream with a cayenne porche. They did have a top of the line WDH. He said it towed nice. This was in the finger lakes area of NY.

Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #22

I bet those people were from Ontario and CAN-AM set them up. CAN-AM will setup very large trailers with small TV's. The problem the OP will have with the Porsche is the tongue weight. I believe that the max for the TV is in the mid 600 lbs. The thing with European cars is there campers have a much lower tongue weight, as low as 5%. So they have high trailer weights but low max tongue weights. In Europe they tend to use the 80% rule, if the trailer is under 80% of the TV's weight than your OK. 4000 lb TV can tow a 3200 lb trailer.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #23

Doesn't matter how much power the vehicle has. Its short size will make handling and stopping dangerous

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #24

Not to sure, but do not recall that they had candian plates and I thought they were from the US. I had to talk to them as I was surprised with the TV. It was a nice airstream, got a tour of it.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #25
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by john777 View Post
Great input here. This is not your average SUV. This is a 5800 lb, extremely powerful vehicle 450HP, 460 TQ. I'm going to jump over to a Cayenne forum and do more research on this too. All of your input is extremely helpful.

Got it. I paid a 1000$ deposit, so I will bring the cashiers check for the rest. I have this feeling the next thing is going to be : "you need to finalize the purchase before the PDI"....
I'm sure the horsepower or torque ratings weren't of primary concern. Yes it can handle the weight of the trailer, no problem. So can something with about half your HP and torque (not recommended but still....) The problem would be more so on the handling in extreme cornering, windy, and emergency situations. More wheelbase is more stability. General rule is 20 feet of trailer for 110" of wheelbase. Add a foot longer on the trailer for every 4" additional of wheelbase. You can go over this some if you have a quality 4 point WDH. Even a little more if you have a premium like Hensley Arrow. That is what it would take for me to take that setup. I'd be going Hensley, period. And even then I'd have reservations. And that's if the vehicle can even handle the hitch weight.

Figure this out before you purchase. You can always stall for a little more time, but once you hand that check over its too late.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #26

some input from the cayenne forum

Keep the info coming, it is much appreciated. Most of the trailer below are in the mid 25' range, not 30'.

"I towed 5,100 lbs up moderate mountains with my S and it almost like it was not there. The trans never made it to 8th gear, mostly 5 and 6th gear at 65 MPH. Mileage was about 12. Not bad. I am surprised Porsche does not market a Cayenne better for its excellent towing capabilities. That said, I would not tow without the air suspension, and electric brakes."

"I tow a 24 ft enclosed trailer with an '08 Cayenne S with minimal problems. I'm hauling about 6,500 lbs. (3.3k for trailer and 3.2k for GT3).
Up hlils, the Tiptronic will atuomatically shift as low as 3rd gear to maintain speed (55-65 mph). And the gas mileage which is marginal to begin with dips to 10-11 mpg.
But I like driving the Cayenne much more than a pick-me-up-truck, even here in rural Virginia."

"I've pulled a 20 ft enclosed trailer (about 8k lbs loaded) for 2 years with my V8 Touareg...probably towed over 5k miles....both short trips and long trips (OH to AK). I seem to get closer to 8-9 mpg. Although the wheelbase is short, it works fine. With no wind, it's comfortable at 75 mph. Add heavy crosswinds and you need to pay a bit more attention"

"I've towed close to the 7716lb limit a few times. I've got a 18' dovetail car hauler (21' total) that I haul my track car and other projects with.
Not my trailer in the picture, but I hauled my Eurovan (about 5200lbs) from NJ to Colorado.
Tows just fine. Add a nice brake controller and it tows better than my 3/4 ton dodge with the same load! Had to tow the van to DMV to get inspected so hooked the trailer up to my Dodge so I could put the CTT back in the garage. The CTT, goes, stops, and turns MUCH better with the trailer than the Dodge (same brake controller fwiw)"

"IIRC, it is stated to NOT use a load distributing hitch with a Cayenne.
I don't remember if that was specific to PASM equipped vehicles or not.
The 'rule of thumb' is somewhat irrelevant; the governing specification/document is the manufacturer published/supplied capacities (at least from a legal perspective)."

"I contacted 3 dealer service departments regarding the WD hitch and they all said that a WD hitch is fine, but it is NOT to be used with the PASM due to the suspension auto-leveling characteristics."

"Are you using one of these to measure tongue weight?
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales
http://www.sherline.com/lmbook1.pdf

Have you read this?
Trailer Loading and Towing Guide

Here is a quick worksheet:
Worksheet for Trailer Load and Balance"

"Wheelbase matters (and the Cayenne/Touareg is sort of short) as does staying well below max ratings, as does what type of trailer you are towing. This will become apparent, right before you, your Cayenne/Touareg and trailer flip over when things go horribly wrong (crosswinds, tailwagging, emergency braking/lane change, etc)"

Towing a smaller airstream
john777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #27

Anaro said:

"I don't know the payload but that is going to be your weakest link. I'm willing to bet you will be way over on payload and over on your adjusted towing capacity (TV gcwr - tv actual Wright with passengers etc...)

"I know that's not what you are asking but honestly, you need to hear it. ... "

Your correct, the OP did not ask that. Do you guys just circle the boards waiting to jump on someone that tows near their max rating? This isn't even the towing forum. I am glad the OP has been gracious about this. I would hate to see anther person scared off by the weight police.

OP, I too can understand why the dealer has that stipulation. I would just have it checked out after the fact but be aware that this is more like buying a house than car. It most likely won't be "white glove" perfect but minor issues are a part of the charm in my (warped) opinion,
Old 06-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
Anaro said:

"I don't know the payload but that is going to be your weakest link. I'm willing to bet you will be way over on payload and over on your adjusted towing capacity (TV gcwr - tv actual Wright with passengers etc...)

Your correct, the OP did not ask that. Do you guys just circle the boards waiting to jump on someone that tows near their max rating? This isn't even the towing forum. I am glad the OP has been gracious about this. I would hate to see anther person scared off by the weight police.

OP, I too can understand why the dealer has that stipulation. I would just have it checked out after the fact but be aware that this is more like buying a house than car. It most likely won't be "white glove" perfect but minor issues are a part of the charm in my (warped) opinion,

I did mean to post this on the towing forum. If an administrator can move it, that would be great.
john777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #29
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
Anaro said:

(Bold added by me..of course.) Towing near max rating is one thing. Towing over the max ratings is another. I don't see any harm done by suggesting someone stay within what their vehicle/components were designed for. Like I said, now is the time to right-size before the purchase, not after.

I don't think anyone here is saying he CAN'T buy this and tow it. But can he do so responsibly? There are some who like to follow the rules in life and some who choose to live outside the boundries. Just because someone is trying to err on the side of caution vs bigger is better does not mean they are the "weight police." It simply means that they are trying to keep someone from making what could possibly be an expensive mistake. It isn't just like you can pull some Lego blocks out of a TT and shrink it down a few feet after the purchase.

As usual, many other considerations can go into this equation. Past experience towing a TT, are you going to be able to use a WDH with the Porsche factory suspension electronic controls, what terrain do you plan on visiting, etc. But I would certainly say that this setup would be outside the realm of comfortable for me.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #30

I have bought two new campers and yes something has always gone wrong and I've had to bring it back numerous times. Now I understand Camping Worlds policy but I don't see anything wrong with having your mechanic looking it over. Camping world does not have to know who this person is if he is doing this for you. From experience it's better to have another set of eyes looking at potential problems and correcting them right away then having to find these issues while you and your family is out camping. Talk about a trip buzz kill! It's happened to me.

Tags
dealer, newbie