Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #51
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
So what does your hitch say? What is the max tongue weight? Because if Porsche says don't exceed that then I'm sure you won't dare. From what I've read online it is around 600# on the tow package.

From what I see you have 650# on the TT hitch weight unloaded. That is a factory number (known to be a little off) and is also without the weight of added hitch, separate sway (if not part of hitch system), battery, and LP. Also add in any weight forward of the TT axle not balanced by the same weight balanced to the rear of the TT axle for all of your gear. Something tells me that the numbers are going to be way high. But I'm sure you'll find a way to justify that. That's what happens when you purchase first and research second. Not being rude, just stating what I'm seeing here.
I agree with clt

TURBS


"Sabre owners united"
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #52
Site Team
 
asquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I agree with clt

TURBS


"Sabre owners united"
X3 with Clt and turbs
__________________

__________________
<a href=http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg target=_blank>http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg</a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,101
Auto leveling suspension does NOT do the same thing as a WDH. The WDH transfers weight to the TV front wheels and the trailer axle. All the auto leveling suspension does is level the TV it does not transfer any weight to the TV front axle.
__________________
Ontario

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 292
Pretty sure the OP will go ahead and tow his TT without the WDH. He came here looking for affirmation and now that he didn't get it he's basically disregarding everything said here. I've seen it so many times when someone comes here looking for a thumbs up on something and they actually get a thumbs down from the vast majority here. They usually disappear from here quite quickly.
__________________

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #55
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Pretty sure the OP will go ahead and tow his TT without the WDH. He came here looking for affirmation and now that he didn't get it he's basically disregarding everything said here. I've seen it so many times when someone comes here looking for a thumbs up on something and they actually get a thumbs down from the vast majority here. They usually disappear from here quite quickly.
We can provide feedback & opinions but at end of the day this is only a forum for discussion. I see he is checking on options which haven't most of us done the same at some point in life? I rather keep on sharing our knowledge & experience with the hope it does help the OP or someone else.

PS
This thread was spilt from another topic after feedback came in regarding his possible set up.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #56
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
So what does your hitch say? What is the max tongue weight? Because if Porsche says don't exceed that then I'm sure you won't dare. From what I've read online it is around 600# on the tow package.

From what I see you have 650# on the TT hitch weight unloaded. That is a factory number (known to be a little off) and is also without the weight of added hitch, separate sway (if not part of hitch system), battery, and LP. Also add in any weight forward of the TT axle not balanced by the same weight balanced to the rear of the TT axle for all of your gear. Something tells me that the numbers are going to be way high. But I'm sure you'll find a way to justify that. That's what happens when you purchase first and research second. Not being rude, just stating what I'm seeing here.
Porsche says in the manual that the tongue weight is maxed at 600 or 650 depends on what manual you have, now they do not recommend using a WDH at all and that is why I had my hitch altered so that I could use the WDH because sitting 650+ on that bolted on hitch just does not appeal to me, Eurpeans do not use a WDH as the designs are quite different, you can lift the coupling by hand on most trailers there, there just different and the vehicle was designed to suit that. They can and will do a good job but some alteration is required, mine has a tube extending from the original hitch forward to the centre of the rear axle where it is then welded, this now allows the WDH to transfer the tongue weight to both the front wheels and to the trailer wheels, I'm not sure this could be done with air suspension but if it can I'm sure it has been done already.
I spent forty years as a mechanic and worked on all different stuff and while I like the touareg it has the worst manual I have ever seen, it seems to be written by lawyers for lawyers because for every thing you look up there is three pages of safety warnings.
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #57
Site Team
 
asquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Auto leveling suspension does NOT do the same thing as a WDH. The WDH transfers weight to the TV front wheels and the trailer axle. All the auto leveling suspension does is level the TV it does not transfer any weight to the TV front axle.
This is correct. My old armada had air leveling suspension. It would level my armada but as verified by cat scale weights it did not adjust the weight forward. In fact it made it harder to properly adjust the wdh. We quickly discovered you had to adjust the wdh by scaled weights rather than measuring wheel wells.
__________________
<a href=http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg target=_blank>http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg</a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 571
I think he heard enough opinions. Whatever he does from now....its his own business.

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Tapatalk
__________________
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #59
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Glen Ellen CA
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
Most of the comparisons above are to a half-ton pickup. All with wheelbases significantly greater than yours. Not just an inch or two, but in feet.
Yes, you are correct and rather than try and make my case, I'm letting all know what I have found.
__________________
John Anne and Les
2014 Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL
2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
john777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #60
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Glen Ellen CA
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
So what does your hitch say? What is the max tongue weight? Because if Porsche says don't exceed that then I'm sure you won't dare. From what I've read online it is around 600# on the tow package.

From what I see you have 650# on the TT hitch weight unloaded. That is a factory number (known to be a little off) and is also without the weight of added hitch, separate sway (if not part of hitch system), battery, and LP. Also add in any weight forward of the TT axle not balanced by the same weight balanced to the rear of the TT axle for all of your gear. Something tells me that the numbers are going to be way high. But I'm sure you'll find a way to justify that. That's what happens when you purchase first and research second. Not being rude, just stating what I'm seeing here.
Much of your comments are noted, your last comment is extremely unhelpful.
__________________

__________________
John Anne and Les
2014 Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL
2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
john777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dealer, newbie

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.