Old 06-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Auto leveling suspension does NOT do the same thing as a WDH. The WDH transfers weight to the TV front wheels and the trailer axle. All the auto leveling suspension does is level the TV it does not transfer any weight to the TV front axle.
Can't use a WDH with this TV.

john777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #62

Best of luck John...lots of folks tow with the weight police nipping at their heels

Just be aware and be as safe as you can be and we hope you make it to Goshen!!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #63

I'm not going anywhere PAPPCAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Pretty sure the OP will go ahead and tow his TT without the WDH. He came here looking for affirmation and now that he didn't get it he's basically disregarding everything said here. I've seen it so many times when someone comes here looking for a thumbs up on something and they actually get a thumbs down from the vast majority here. They usually disappear from here quite quickly.
If I use the Cayenne I will not be using a WDH. Your post is inaccuarte and extremely unhelpful. I'm not looking for a thumbs up from anyone. I'm looking for accurate infromation which will help me make an informed decision. I do not plan on disappearing as I plan on buying this trailer, wether I'm pulling it with the Cayenne or another vehicle. However, I do want to know what this car can do (which I only paid $29,000 for last year with a full warranty) (a result of researching and utilizing forums)

On the contrary, I woke up this morning with my family in Florida and I am now in SF CA. To be honest i spent way too much time on this, this week and it detracted me from my family vacation. However, I'm not going to put my family in jeopardy, or anyone else on the road for that matter so I'm spending the necessary time and trying not to act like a know it all or a jerk.

You see I'm very familiar with limits. I live my life obeying limits and protecting my passengers when it comes to limits. When I fly my 747-400 from SFO to Sydney, that plane is at 875,000 lbs. You know what happens if the plane is at 875,200 lbs? We sit at the hold short and goose the throttles up to burn that extra 200#'s before taking the runway. The reason is, I'm responsible for 400 passengers lives and when the airplane holds 300,000 lbs of fuel, things can get real ugly, real quick, if something goes wrong at that weight. Let me help you with the math. The jet is approx 1/3 fuel. The fuel on that airplane weights more than the 757-200 fully loaded that I rode on today from RSW-ATL.

If you ever want to sit around and have a scotch and a stogie, i could tell you all about how to load an F/A-18 to the gills with A/A A/G and a full load of 20mm cannon ammo and take off hit a target and make it home safely with 7 other F/A-18's doing the same thing.

I could do the same thing if you ever wanted to talk F-16's too.

And if you ever wanted to know which of the two i thought was better than the other, I could have a long conversation about 1 circle, 2 circle, angle of attack, dive angles, weaponry, counter measures, one engine vs two engines. Which one was a pig fully loaded, which one turned better.

And if that wasn;t enough.

We could sit around I could tell you stories about how to simulate a MIG-21 while flying an F-5, which was pretty damn fun.

But I could not sit around and tell you about all the TT towing i have done with my Cayenne, because i haven;t done it. Thats why I'm here now looking for help and comments. You are not sitting in my room and you do not know what I'm going to do. So stop spouting off nonsense.

I can tell you this. I'm not leaving this forum. And I have not made a decision on what to tow that trailer I'm going to buy, with, either.

You see I've gotten a ton of good info over many years from different forums on many different things, watches, cars, camping, RVing. But I don;t think I've seen a post as unhelpful as yours. I'm sure you can do better on something, maybe not this topic.

I will most likely go back and delete this post so my wife can log on and find out about cool camping sites and what to do with our one year old while towing and good things like that, so do me a favor and don't respond to me via quote on this one. Got it PAPPCAM?

Semper Fidelis...
Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #64

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Best of luck John...lots of folks tow with the weight police nipping at their heels

Just be aware and be as safe as you can be and we hope you make it to Goshen!!
Thank you sir...
Old 06-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #65
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

FWIW: I don't want you to leave this forum so it is good that you are staying. You came here looking for advice and that's what you are getting. I'm sorry that one or two sentences of my entire conversation in this thread are considered by you to be unhelpful. That wasn't my intent, otherwise I would have initially read this thread and left without replying a word.

I don't have lots of real-world experience yet in the TT world. So you don't need to believe I'm right, but read up and let me know what you find. If I'm wrong, I'm all ears. There are members here that have much more experience than I do. A few have said that they think this is basically too much TT for your vehicle. And a few have basically said to be a rebel and go for it.

As an ATP you stated that you are very familiar with limits. That's a good thing. I have an aviation background also. So consider that hitch weight and then go from there. And if you have to sell one of your 5 private planes sitting in a hangar somewhere to upgrade your TV, then do it. (KIDDING - but I know how pilots are --- you can never own just one!)

And another thing. I can relate to you. About a month or so ago I was in the same boat. I was considering larger TT vs the one I ended up buying. It is a very stressful process. And it was all new to me. Wife and kids wanted the larger one...but I didn't want to upgrade my TV because I just bought it. They wanted the model with a full bunkhouse extra closed-door room in the rear and outdoor kitchen but the weight was too heavy. So instead I went with more room in the dual opposing slides. Makes it seem extra spacious. Still have the same capacity on the bunks. Couldn't be happier. Because I know I am within my limits. There are lots of makes and models out there. If eventually you don't feel this one fits you and your TV, wait till you find the one.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #66

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
FWIW: I don't want you to leave this forum so it is good that you are staying. You came here looking for advice and that's what you are getting. I'm sorry that one or two sentences of my entire conversation in this thread are considered by you to be unhelpful. That wasn't my intent, otherwise I would have initially read this thread and left without replying a word.

I don't have lots of real-world experience yet in the TT world. So you don't need to believe I'm right, but read up and let me know what you find. If I'm wrong, I'm all ears. There are members here that have much more experience than I do. A few have said that they think this is basically too much TT for your vehicle. And a few have basically said to be a rebel and go for it.

As an ATP you stated that you are very familiar with limits. That's a good thing. I have an aviation background also. So consider that hitch weight and then go from there. And if you have to sell one of your 5 private planes sitting in a hangar somewhere to upgrade your TV, then do it. (KIDDING - but I know how pilots are --- you can never own just one!)

And another thing. I can relate to you. About a month or so ago I was in the same boat. I was considering larger TT vs the one I ended up buying. It is a very stressful process. And it was all new to me. Wife and kids wanted the larger one...but I didn't want to upgrade my TV because I just bought it. They wanted the model with a full bunkhouse extra closed-door room in the rear and outdoor kitchen but the weight was too heavy. So instead I went with more room in the dual opposing slides. Makes it seem extra spacious. Still have the same capacity on the bunks. Couldn't be happier. Because I know I am within my limits. There are lots of makes and models out there. If eventually you don't feel this one fits you and your TV, wait till you find the one.
Can-am in canada is looking into this for me and will call me back. I might give Porsche North America a call this am too.

This was another intersting thread I came across, giving an advantage (of sorts) to having the hitch so close to the read axle (good for my TV)

Wheel base-to-length-ratio

No planes for me. I have a 72 Ranchero and a 69 Torino vert. Don't need to sell them but do not need 6 or 7 vehicles to deal with! The damn Holiday Rambler Imperial I had was way too easy, and it was a 37 footer...

PS where is the spell checker on this system?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #67

Wow...this thread got crazy! CLT tow's a 757 w/a Cessna...bwahahahahaha!
Kids: 3yo DD (Riley), another DD cookin (Kennedy)
Security: 5yo Boxer (Sasha), 14yo yorkie (Porter)...he was married in
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by john777 View Post
If I use the Cayenne I will not be using a WDH. Your post is inaccuarte and extremely unhelpful. I'm not looking for a thumbs up from anyone. I'm looking for accurate infromation which will help me make an informed decision. I do not plan on disappearing as I plan on buying this trailer, wether I'm pulling it with the Cayenne or another vehicle. However, I do want to know what this car can do (which I only paid $29,000 for last year with a full warranty) (a result of researching and utilizing forums)

On the contrary, I woke up this morning with my family in Florida and I am now in SF CA. To be honest i spent way too much time on this, this week and it detracted me from my family vacation. However, I'm not going to put my family in jeopardy, or anyone else on the road for that matter so I'm spending the necessary time and trying not to act like a know it all or a jerk.

You see I'm very familiar with limits. I live my life obeying limits and protecting my passengers when it comes to limits. When I fly my 747-400 from SFO to Sydney, that plane is at 875,000 lbs. You know what happens if the plane is at 875,200 lbs? We sit at the hold short and goose the throttles up to burn that extra 200#'s before taking the runway. The reason is, I'm responsible for 400 passengers lives and when the airplane holds 300,000 lbs of fuel, things can get real ugly, real quick, if something goes wrong at that weight. Let me help you with the math. The jet is approx 1/3 fuel. The fuel on that airplane weights more than the 757-200 fully loaded that I rode on today from RSW-ATL.

If you ever want to sit around and have a scotch and a stogie, i could tell you all about how to load an F/A-18 to the gills with A/A A/G and a full load of 20mm cannon ammo and take off hit a target and make it home safely with 7 other F/A-18's doing the same thing.

I could do the same thing if you ever wanted to talk F-16's too.

And if you ever wanted to know which of the two i thought was better than the other, I could have a long conversation about 1 circle, 2 circle, angle of attack, dive angles, weaponry, counter measures, one engine vs two engines. Which one was a pig fully loaded, which one turned better.

And if that wasn;t enough.

We could sit around I could tell you stories about how to simulate a MIG-21 while flying an F-5, which was pretty damn fun.

But I could not sit around and tell you about all the TT towing i have done with my Cayenne, because i haven;t done it. Thats why I'm here now looking for help and comments. You are not sitting in my room and you do not know what I'm going to do. So stop spouting off nonsense.

I can tell you this. I'm not leaving this forum. And I have not made a decision on what to tow that trailer I'm going to buy, with, either.

You see I've gotten a ton of good info over many years from different forums on many different things, watches, cars, camping, RVing. But I don;t think I've seen a post as unhelpful as yours. I'm sure you can do better on something, maybe not this topic.

I will most likely go back and delete this post so my wife can log on and find out about cool camping sites and what to do with our one year old while towing and good things like that, so do me a favor and don't respond to me via quote on this one. Got it PAPPCAM?

Semper Fidelis...
John...

There really are some great people and great advice/idea's on this forum. I think people really are just trying to give you some great advice, not beat you up over your choice of a tow vehicle/TT. I genuinely think people DO care about your well being on the road and loaded up.

There are a lot of factors that go into the tow capacities of vehicles, and a lot of people will come on here not exactly knowing them. Some don't realize they could be far exceeding their limits after factoring in all of their gear, them, their kids, their food, etc... This is why everyone is putting in their .02. Notice most people that commented actually did look up your Porsche specs before commenting?

I'm not the weight police but it just sounds crazy having a Porsche tow and TT without a WDH as most fullsize trucks could not even do it. But if it's in the Porsche's capacity, by all means do it! That is great.

From my few years on this forum I can pretty much assure you if you were stuck on the side of the road with an issue, post it here and one of these great people ARE going to help you find a way out of whatever issue is going on.

I also want to personally thank you for your service to our great country. (I know you weren't responsible for this president )
Kids: 3yo DD (Riley), another DD cookin (Kennedy)
Security: 5yo Boxer (Sasha), 14yo yorkie (Porter)...he was married in
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #69
DDC

Glad to hear you got in contact with CA-AM John I know they do these types of set-ups for people all over North America, I was lucky enough to have them as my dealer and only fifteen minutes from home.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #70
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
Wow...this thread got crazy! CLT tow's a 757 w/a Cessna...bwahahahahaha!
Is that a cow or a horse? Looks more like a cow to me. Mmmmm, steaks tenderized.

Tags
dealer, newbie