Old 09-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Engineer of Crazy Train

Moving from a Reese DC to Equal-I-zer 4 pt.

Has anyone gone from towing with a Reese DC to an Equal-I-zer 4 point hitch? Did you regret the decision? Anything you miss about the Reese? Anything you don't like about the Equal-I-zer? Just trying to make a decision if my hitch will go when I attempt to sell my HTT after our last trip of the season.

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #2

The only WDH I have ever owned/used is my current Equal-i-zer 600/6000. I love it. The only drawbacks are the groaning of the bars at low speeds, and the weight of the hitch head. Since my TV is a minivan, I don't like to leave the hitch on the vehicle when not towing. Neither of the drawbacks is significant to me.

Very easy on and off. The bars snap in/out of the hitch head with very modest effort (pull the latch or snap in). Elevate the tongue and rotate the bars into place on the L brackets. Put the rentention pins in, and I'm good to go.

Tows great and controls sway. The minivan rides like it's not towing, which it definitely did not do without the Equal-I-zer. I will never tow with a relatively soft suspension without a good WDH again.

Fred W

Old 09-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
Aggie Family

Recently changed WD hitches

I recently changed from the Reese "Straight Line" with DC sway control to the 4-pt Equalizer, but I also changed my travel trailer (new trailer is slightly shorter and slightly lighter) so it's a little hard to make exact comparisons. Having said that, I did like the Reese set-up. Liked that I could fine tune by simply going up or down one chain link. While towing - never had a problem with the Reese. One issue that I had is that I was never comfortable just leaving the dual cams installed when my trailer was in off-site storage stall. I was always afraid someone could easily remove them and they are not cheap to replace. So when I put the trailer in storage, I removed the dual cams and took them home and reattached when I was getting ready to go on the next trip. When I recently changed trailers, I thought that I would try the Equalizer due to near universal likes. I have only towed with it a couple of times, but one of the trips was 300 miles so got a pretty good feel for it. It is noisy at low speeds and turning. I am also feeling a bit more "push" from large trucks when they come from behind me in the left lane while I am going a bit slower in the right lane. My hitch set-up may just need a bit of fine tuning. My overall feeling is that I am pleased with the Equalizer and I believe that it is slightly easier and quicker to hook-up.
Equalizer 4-pt WDH
2ags81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

Thank you 2ags81 for your input. I do like my DC. Just was looking to see if changing would be better. I am looking at a slightly bigger trailer, pushing my limits until I can get my truck.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equal-i-zer