Old 05-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Moving hitch from old truck to newer truck

We purchased a Surveyor Sp-193 and brought it home with my 2001 Dodge Dakota. After going camping with it our first time we decided we need a larger truck. So we purchased a 2004 F250.
I am wanting move the hitch to the new truck. I was thinking I could measure the ball height when it is in the Dakota and then transfer it to the F250 and adjust the ball height to the same height.

Will this work?

Also where does everyone get the maps in their signatures?

Haligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
I would have to recommend to get the hitch set up instructions and start over. The spring weight between the trucks may require a ball height adjustment. You may also need to adjust which link in the chain for the spring bars, and the ball angle. In order to get the best towing experience, you need the hitch set up properly to the tow vehicle and the LOADED camper. Start over, may take longer, but you'll be glad you did.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Grape Escape
Welcome to the forum.
here's link to map
2008 Cardinal 30RKLE 5th wheel sold
2006 Rockwood 2607, 2001 Traillite
55 nights 2009, 53 for 2010
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Thanks for both replies. I have contact the dealer were we purchased the TT and they said they would redo it for the new truck for free. Just need to bring it up.
Haligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"
Good that the dealer will do it for free. I got pretty lucky with my "move-up". I got my old TT with a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Like you, I realized I needed somthing bigger in a hurry. I also went to a F-250. Mine just happened to be a perfect transfer over. I didn't have to adjust a thing, except move up one link on the torsion bars of the weight distribution. I was pretty amazed.
Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2011 Ford F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Cunning Linguist
I just went through the smaller -> bigger tow vehicle drill two weeks ago.

You can do DIY, but unless you've got some relevant experience, I'd suggest getting someone to do it professionally. Most RV places will have you in/out in an hour and some of the automotive shops here in FL are starting to get into it (Autozone and Pep Boys).

I found some wierd stuff when I did mine...... most notably, hitch installed upside down from the original installation at the dealership. I'm guessing it was to allow for the lower height of the 2006 Xtera we were towing with before we upgraded to a V8 Titan.

The other issue is the tools ..... there are recommended torque specs associated with some of those fasteners & it would probably be a good idea to reset/confirm them while your changing over the hitch. Unless you have all the needed items, you may come out cheaper paying a professional who already has the right tools vs buying the stuff to do it correctly yourself.
Acara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
I went fromf-150 Screw to 08 f250 cc lariat 6.4 aobut three hours of fine tuning and all was well.

2013 Ford F-350, FX4 ,Long Bed, 6.7 Diesel, 11500# GVW package, camper package, plow package, Electronic locking 3.73 rear end.

Husky 16K slider hitch.

New Trailer 2013 Wildcat 344QB Touring Edition with angled master bed.
Greenshield is offline   Reply With Quote