Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #41

What a Timely thread - I just bought a Dodge 3/4 ton with the Cummins 6.7 diesel for all of the reasons stated here. I had been towing with a 06 5.7 Dodge and like ohers have said, it would pull the trailer but I felt like it really was doing more that it should be. Heres a pic of the new one:

Love the sounds too
https://youtu.be/NdbNW9GTVxY
TheCooperchinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #42

Nice. Congrats.

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #43

Yep...congrats! Love the diesel sound. It's nice to hear the same story's as I have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:02 AM   #44
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCooperchinos View Post
What a Timely thread - I just bought a Dodge 3/4 ton with the Cummins 6.7 diesel for all of the reasons stated here. I had been towing with a 06 5.7 Dodge and like ohers have said, it would pull the trailer but I felt like it really was doing more that it should be. Heres a pic of the new one:

Love the sounds too
Nice Ram Truck. I really like what Ram has done since the split from Dodge.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:35 AM   #45

Hey!!!! We got the same truck!!!! I just bought a 2500 JUST like that!

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCooperchinos View Post

Love the sounds too
2020 Indian Roadmaster
Toothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:41 AM   #46

Mele yours is 5 years newer! =) Like I said I wanted one for years but couldn't really afford it till now. Just looking forward to a safer, more comfortable tow. I'll post a full review as we have one more trip this winter at Pokagon State Park in Indiana Im sure I wont be disappointed.
TheCooperchinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:34 AM   #47

Mine may be newer but yours looks like it just came of the showroom floor! And I bet you have to deal with DEF!
Is it a 4x4?

If you don't mind me asking how many miles are on it and what'd you pay for it?

Mel
2020 Indian Roadmaster
Old 10-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #48
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by mele View Post
And I bet you have to deal with DEF!

Mel
Mel, what is the issue with DEF? Few bucks every once in a while. EGR is the thing no one wants to deal with...look at VW.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #49

I meant you "didn't" have to deal with DEF! I was just trying to be nice.

DEF is not that big a deal right now with my new 2015. I topped the DEF tank off at 458 miles and and now have over 2700 on it and have used less than a 1/4 tank of DEF. I figure you can get about 10,000 miles on a tank at that rate. When I first got the truck I was worried I'd have to fill the DEF tank up every other tank of diesel...

I just think it's unnecessary and a waste of money. Just MHO.

Mel

PS... Oh boy do I know about EGR!!! I driver OTR and we have 2014 International Prostar+ that seem to stay in the shop!!!

The CEO has finally seen the light and we are going back to Macks with DEF...
2020 Indian Roadmaster
Old 10-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
I don't think that a 3/4 ton stops trailer sway because any trailer regardless of size can have issues depending on a number of factors, I think that a heavier truck "handles" the trailer better and can counter the effects of trailer sway more effectively than a 1/2 ton.
Many people have 1500 series rig they are happy to drive coast to coast. I did it for 5 years without incident too. It was not until our 1800 mile trip this year that I took a serious look at upgrading.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
the 2500 also has integrated sway control that either activated by the Trailer Plug being in place or the Tow/ haul mode being on.. its one or the other...

Plus a heaver truck handles sway better because the weight makes it harder for the tail to wag the dog.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #51

I switched from a 1500 to 2500HD two years ago. No buyer remorse whatsoever. I went from a pickup to a truck. Now I feel like I am in control of the load I'm pulling all the time. It has made travelling a pleasure and in my mind that's what I bought my TT for, to travel and enjoy. Hard to do that if you don't feel comfortable towing.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #52

Yes you did, congrates
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #53

Quick update....After 5 months and 7K miles of daily driving and almost 800 towing miles I have come to the conclusion I should have purchased this truck years ago. There have been some draw backs over the 1/2 ton I will be honest. Some seem logical but I feel I should point them out in fairness. First off...The Ride of the 3/4 is a bit more harsh than the Ram 1/2 it replaced. Both old and new had rear coil springs but as you would imagine the HD truck is less forgiving running empty. This was expected obviously but I do miss the ride of the lighter truck. Second thing is the height. Its a monster. I actually keep a step stool in the bed to get in easily. You can step up on the wheel and get in but forget climbing in the tailgate. Running boards were a must. The Third thing is the sheer size of the truck. ITs hard to park, Maneuver in tight spaces and will prevent me from door dings as I park in the back 40 at most parking lot situations.

Positives far outweigh the negatives so far. Have not had any issues other than a current nail in one of the tires. Plenty of power towing and empty. We are heading to the smoky mountains this summer, should be a fair towing test. MPG seems to be improving slightly. I stopped tracking it by hand as the first few months the DIC was within .7MPG of the hand calculated numbers. HWY empty is 16-17 city is 12-13. Im happy with those numbers and are within 1mpg of the 1/2 ton. Its a win win. If you are in the market for a new TV and you are not looking at today's crop of 3/4 ton trucks, you are in my opinion doing yourself a dis-service. I dont care what smoke and mirrors MFG's are using to tell you their 1/2 ton truck will tow this and that.....its a night and day difference in terms of stability and all around experience towing a moderate load. Pricing is not that different either if you go with gas
Old 02-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Quick update....After 5 months and 7K miles of daily driving and almost 800 towing miles I have come to the conclusion I should have purchased this truck years ago. There have been some draw backs over the 1/2 ton I will be honest. Some seem logical but I feel I should point them out in fairness. First off...The Ride of the 3/4 is a bit more harsh than the Ram 1/2 it replaced. Both old and new had rear coil springs but as you would imagine the HD truck is less forgiving running empty. This was expected obviously but I do miss the ride of the lighter truck. Second thing is the height. Its a monster. I actually keep a step stool in the bed to get in easily. You can step up on the wheel and get in but forget climbing in the tailgate. Running boards were a must. The Third thing is the sheer size of the truck. ITs hard to park, Maneuver in tight spaces and will prevent me from door dings as I park in the back 40 at most parking lot situations.

If you are in the market for a new TV and you are not looking at today's crop of 3/4 ton trucks, you are in my opinion doing yourself a dis-service. I dont care what smoke and mirrors MFG's are using to tell you their 1/2 ton truck will tow this and that.....its a night and day difference in terms of stability and all around experience towing a moderate load. Pricing is not that different either if you go with gas
We have 11k miles on ours, with 4500 miles towed. We couldn't agree more with the statements above. We did take the truck to RMNP last summer and it wasn't phased by them.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #55

Quote:

Positives far outweigh the negatives so far. Have not had any issues other than a current nail in one of the tires. Plenty of power towing and empty. We are heading to the smoky mountains this summer, should be a fair towing test. MPG seems to be improving slightly. I stopped tracking it by hand as the first few months the DIC was within .7MPG of the hand calculated numbers. HWY empty is 16-17 city is 12-13. Im happy with those numbers and are within 1mpg of the 1/2 ton. Its a win win. If you are in the market for a new TV and you are not looking at today's crop of 3/4 ton trucks, you are in my opinion doing yourself a dis-service. I dont care what smoke and mirrors MFG's are using to tell you their 1/2 ton truck will tow this and that.....its a night and day difference in terms of stability and all around experience towing a moderate load. Pricing is not that different either if you go with gas
That sums up my feelings also. I will say the F150 max tow rides better than my F350 but my neighbors HD PAYLOAD/HD Tow we both think rides worse them my F350.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #56

Quote:

Buy some amp steps. I have amp power steps and amp bed steps on my 2500. No gas truck will ever compare to a 2500 or 3500 diesel when towing. This things are made to pull. Hands down.
duramaxlbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxlbz View Post
Buy some amp steps. I have amp power steps and amp bed steps on my 2500. No gas truck will ever compare to a 2500 or 3500 diesel when towing. This things are made to pull. Hands down.

I have seen the power steps, but I could not justify the cost. Same reason I didn't go with the diesel.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #58

It's just money can't take it with us. Try ebay for The amp steps if you are interested.
duramaxlbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxlbz View Post
It's just money can't take it with us. Try ebay for The amp steps if you are interested.
I went with the ICI Steps. Not my Truck.....Stock Photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rts82dg-left2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	98757  

Tags