Old 10-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
Moving to 2500.....My Experience

I wanted to post something that highlights my experience moving to a heavier truck to tow our 7K Travel trailer and attempt to keep brand preference and fuel type as a secondary topic… here we go.

After many, many months of research and investigation I finally stepped up to the ton truck and boy I am glad I did. Here are my experiences moving from the light duty 1500 to the 2500HD.

For 5 years my previous 1500 Ram was tasked with dragging our heavy Travel trailer around the Midwest and some longer trips as well. Although we never did have an issue or breakdown there was always something a little unsettling about pulling this load with the kids in the back along with all the stuff that is brought along on a trip. Early on I struggled with the WD Hitch set up, ultimately choosing an entirely new hitch that better matched my towing combo. Still, it was not as settled as I would have liked it to have been. The reason why can be found in the scale numbers coupled with a little math. These results indicated what the ultimate reason for my concern with the combo was. The particular truck I had was a 2011 with a 10.5K towing capacity and a 1,400lb payload. After spending 5 years towing with this truck, I have found that these numbers are very deceiving. No Doubt that the truck would handle 10K as the power was never the problem. The issue lies within the numbers. If you are pulling 10K on a properly loaded travel trailer, the payload capacity of 1400# is gone the minute you hook up. This was my problem. Our trailer tongue weighs between 900-950 LBs. I weigh 230#, combined kids weigh 100#, 32 gallon fuel tank, firewood, bikes and obviously you see where this is going. We were overloaded EVERY. SINGLE. TRIP. Keep in mind my trailer was 3,000lbs from my trucks towing capacity.

I know that there are others on this forum that do the same and are confident with the setup, for whatever reason my truck didn’t like being pushed to the limit. On paper, my Trailer is well within the specs, but the real-world told a different story as indicated on the above paragraph. Without the WD bars hooked up the receiver was literally in the dirt. Not a comfortable feeling knowing my truck without the WD could not have towed my trailer any distance. I think that most of the tons out there are similar; most are within a few hundred lbs Of payload and towing numbers so my situation likely has been experienced by others as well. All in all I loved the truck and it never failed us but for me personally, I asked too much of it. Traded it off with 133K and of those miles, 12-15K were towing miles.

That was the Old….this is the NEW!

15K towing cap, 3K payload are the specs on the ton. That’s roughly 25% more towing weight and nearly 56% increased payload capacity compared to the 1500. Wow! As stated before, the numbers on paper and specs don’t really tell the whole story, the real world does. Using the phrase night and day does not seem even appropriate as it’s a shockingly different experience. Right away upon hooking up the trailer you will notice a difference. The heavier truck gave up only about 1.5” of ride height with the full load of the trailer on ball. The initial towing experience felt much more stable. There was zero Side to side motion, little bounce and unlike my previous rig, it felt as if the truck was in command. Due to the higher ride height of the ton, the equalizer hitch was putting very little pressure back on the truck. As a result the hitch was offering much less sway control and you wouldn’t know it. Loading up with all our gear, firewood, coolers and what not are a non-issue now. I don’t need to think “Can I bring it?” I put roughly 200 miles while towing last weekend and I must say I like this combo much better. The only thing I don’t like about the new truck is that my pocket book will likely become a little lighter due to the fact that our RV options open up dramatically for the next trailer!

If you are debating on moving up a class on your towing rig, without a doubt the or 1 ton truck makes all the difference in the world. At the cost of todays ton optioned out rigs, the pricing on a mid-optioned ton truck might just be within your grasp. You won’t regret it.

2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
End The Suspense

Ok I'll be the first one to ask.....What 3/4 Ton truck did you go with ? I'm guessing it's a gasser considering the payload...Did you keep it in the family and get another Dodge ?

Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Ok I'll be the first one to ask.....What 3/4 Ton truck did you go with ? I'm guessing it's a gasser considering the payload...Did you keep it in the family and get another Dodge ?
You are correct for both your assumptions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	90419  
2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
I went from 1500 pulling a 7500 lbs TT to 2500 pulling a 10,000 5er to 350 pulling 11,380 5er. Not much difference between the 2500 and 350 but like you a huge difference between the 1500 and 2500.
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
Sold - 2014 Cougar SGS
Sold - 2013 Jay Flight TT
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
I have a 1500 (work driver) and a 2500.
As you stated, the bumper is on the ground when the 1500 is hooked to my TT.
I have only moved the trailer on site this way, as there is no way I would tow it any distance.
The 2500 is an absolute delight to tow with.

Nice truck you got there.
2015 nights camped (54)
Gleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
I don't understand... I thought a Toyota Tundra could tow the space shuttle?!?!?

Nice upgrade!
Brian - Stacy - Liam Camp Dogs: Pepper & Bentley
Nights Camped: 2015 - 34 2016 - 7

"I need a time out, send me to the mountains and don't let me out until my attitude changes!"
BKBuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
Nice. And you said the magic phrase: real world is different from paper specs. It's not whether you can tow's whether you can stop it.

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #8
All reasons why I went from F150 to 2500. Damn ecoboost had more than enough grunt, the minimal engine braking and lack of sufficient payload led me to the next step up.
drittal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #9
That's the biggest issue here.
People do not understand, there is a difference between say 15k worth of bricks on a flat deck trailer, and a 15k fifth wheel rv.

They are not the same 15k.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
I went from the Ecoboost to the 250 as well. It is a totally different truck. The Ecoboost was a huge improvement over the old Triton engine, but it's still a 150. Our XLR is a TTTH with a max weight of 12,900. Without a toy or water it averages about 9800 to 10500 on most trips. I couldn't imagine pulling it with a 150. It makes me a little nervous sometimes with the 250. You know it's back there for sure.

I still can't figure out the whole daily driver comments for a reason to not look at a 3/4. I park in a deck in Atlanta everyday after a 50 mile commute. After the past few years in a 250, I'd never go back.

2015 XLR Nitro 30FQSL
2015 F250 King Ranch
oldgold is offline   Reply With Quote