Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #61

I like Silverado but I would most definitely look at a Ram if it didn’t use def
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #62
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I like Silverado but I would most definitely look at a Ram if it didn’t use def
My new Ram 2500 does not use DEF Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #63

the wife and I are considering trading in our class c for a travel trailer/5th wheel. The RAM trucks are on the list but the thing I hate most about the class c is the transmission. I saw in this thread that everyone likes the Aisin, can you hold gears on it and shift it when you want to? I think an option I must have would be a manual transmission and the RAM is the only one still offering that option.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
the wife and I are considering trading in our class c for a travel trailer/5th wheel. The RAM trucks are on the list but the thing I hate most about the class c is the transmission. I saw in this thread that everyone likes the Aisin, can you hold gears on it and shift it when you want to? I think an option I must have would be a manual transmission and the RAM is the only one still offering that option.
With the manual transmission you give up 200 pounds of engine torque. We have an Aisin on the dually and the standard 68RFE automatic on the 2500 diesel. The Aisin gives you an additional 130 pounds torque over the normal 800. Both models have the +/- buttons on the gear select lever and you can control the upshift point. Ie, if you lock it in fourth gear then when starting out it will shift normally up to that gear but no further. If you want to have more control just select first gear and then hit the plus button when you want the upshift to happen. You can downshift the same way.

But, it’s a rarely used feature.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:26 AM   #65
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
But, it’s a rarely used feature.
Yup, what he said. Just when I’m coming down a mountain. Anything over a 6% grade requires manual intervention.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:28 AM   #66
Always Learning

So here’s where I’m at:
Ram 3500
- Laramie
- Crew cab
- 8’ bed
- 4x4
- Cummins Diesel
- AISIN transmission
- Dual rear wheels/14k GVWR package
- 4.10 axle ratio
- Auto level rear air suspension
- Dual alternators @ 440amps
- 5th wheel/gooseneck towing prep
- Protection group
- Convenience group
- Gray + silver exterior
- Center high mount stop lamp w/ cargo view camera
- LED bed lighting
- Chrome tubular side steps
- Spray in bed liner
- UConnect 4C Nav w/ 8.4” display
- Single-disc CD player
- Instrument panel mounted auxiliary switches
- Remote-start
- Keyless Enter-n-go

Questions:
- What is the expected payload?
- What is the benefit of the Max Tow Package as I do not want the fifth wheel hitch ($1,300)?
- Without the Max Tow Package, will the truck have a brake controller? I assume so, but it’s listed specifically as an option for the Max Tow Package. Or is it somehow a “better” brake controller?
Old 06-03-2018, 06:13 AM   #67

Sounds great, thinking that going to be a nice truck. Care to share what will be out the door cost
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:35 AM   #68

Good choice of options as those are the ones I choose for my 2500. I did get the Big Horn 4x2 tho instead of Laramie 4x2.

I also selected the luxury group and the Sport appearance group which included the Instrument panel mounted auxiliary switches. I did not order there extra cost tubular side steps as a friend of mine found ones cheaper on Amazon. About half the price. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 06-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #69

I have been shopping and pricing almost the same vehicle you are planning on ordering for about the last 6 months. As far as payload you can expect around 5400# with that spec.

I would expect a selling price 63-64k before any rebates/incentives....but that would be an off the lot truck, not sure how much wiggle room they have ordering. My brother is going through this exact process right now. I think the dealer he is working with might not be the best choice though. They told him ordering he could not get the rebates which to me did not sound right. Instead they located the truck he wants elsewhere and gave him the option to have it shipped to their dealership....that is where he is stuck now. Decision time.

I think you could add rear window defrost and not go wrong.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #70

Our Big Horn duality has a remaining payload of 5,600 per Cat Scale. That’s with full fuel, driver and one pax.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #71
Failure is my business

Like the rest, I'd expect that to have a payload between 5400-5500#. Not sure what Max tow package is. That's what I call mine with the Aisin and 4.10 gears. 30,250# towing capacity.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #72
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
I have been shopping and pricing almost the same vehicle you are planning on ordering for about the last 6 months. As far as payload you can expect around 5400# with that spec.

I would expect a selling price 63-64k before any rebates/incentives....but that would be an off the lot truck, not sure how much wiggle room they have ordering. My brother is going through this exact process right now. I think the dealer he is working with might not be the best choice though. They told him ordering he could not get the rebates which to me did not sound right. Instead they located the truck he wants elsewhere and gave him the option to have it shipped to their dealership....that is where he is stuck now. Decision time.

I think you could add rear window defrost and not go wrong.
I ordered my truck 6 years ago. I got the rebates on it. They basically told me that, at a minimum, I would get the rebates that applied when I ordered the truck. I wouldn’t pay more than what they quoted. But if the new rebates were better, I’d get those.

I paid what they quoted.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:19 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I ordered my truck 6 years ago. I got the rebates on it. They basically told me that, at a minimum, I would get the rebates that applied when I ordered the truck. I wouldn’t pay more than what they quoted. But if the new rebates were better, I’d get those.

I paid what they quoted.
That’s the way it works. When we ordered our dully we were guaranteed the rebates in place at the time of ordering. When the truck arrived about 6-7 weeks later we got an additional $2,000 which had started about a week prior to delivery.

Epeny, you might want to reconsider the nav system you mentioned. The 8.4 system comes standard with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The maps on those systems are far superior to the $800 nav available from the factory. 8.4 already has the micky mouse nav system built in but not activated. If you decide later that you want it the dealer just loads the activation code into your truck (after you pay for it, probably a little less than the price quoted when ordering).
Old 06-04-2018, 06:16 AM   #74

Same here rebates locked in but if more available then I got them wfhen I finally got my truck. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 06-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #75
Always Learning

Quote:
Epeny, you might want to reconsider the nav system you mentioned. The 8.4 system comes standard with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The maps on those systems are far superior to the $800 nav available from the factory. 8.4 already has the micky mouse nav system built in but not activated. If you decide later that you want it the dealer just loads the activation code into your truck (after you pay for it, probably a little less than the price quoted when ordering).
Wife and I both have Apple iPhones. She does all of the navigating but I like to see the map on the screen- she's say, "you're turning on X St." and I'll look to see how many streets it is or whatnot.

With this CarPlay, with it show the phone map (from Google Maps) onto the console? Or do I have to see the phone itself?
Old 06-04-2018, 11:17 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wife and I both have Apple iPhones. She does all of the navigating but I like to see the map on the screen- she's say, "you're turning on X St." and I'll look to see how many streets it is or whatnot.

With this CarPlay, with it show the phone map (from Google Maps) onto the console? Or do I have to see the phone itself?
Apple and CarPlay will show you Apple Maps on the console, pretty nicely done, but it's not configurable for a different map app. While you're shopping maybe try one out during a test drive and see what it's like.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #77

LED headlights. But I'm not seeing it on the option list. I don't ever want to drive a vehicle with halogen headlights again.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #78

Quote:

The map shows on the truck’s 8.4 screen. Using an iPhone you’ll see Apple Maps. Using a droid shows only Google maps. The displays for both is the road view and satellite view not available.

Both systems require a free app download on the phone. The iPhone connects automatically as soon as you plug it into the USB port in the center console. Since I have Wi-Fi in the truck (separate, not the high dollar Uconnect system) I leave an old iPhone 6 in the console to display maps. I’ve never been able to connect the droid and the dealer couldn’t do it. That’s ok with me because I prefer the Apple Maps.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #79

Quote:
The map shows on the truck’s 8.4 screen. Using an iPhone you’ll see Apple Maps. Using a droid shows only Google maps. The displays for both is the road view and satellite view not available.

Both systems require a free app download on the phone. The iPhone connects automatically as soon as you plug it into the USB port in the center console. Since I have Wi-Fi in the truck (separate, not the high dollar Uconnect system) I leave an old iPhone 6 in the console to display maps. I’ve never been able to connect the droid and the dealer couldn’t do it. That’s ok with me because I prefer the Apple Maps.

Maps comes standard on iPhones. There was no app to download before I could use Apple CarPlay for navigation. All you need is a cable to plug into your USB port. It's recommended that you use an Apple cable, as some aftermarket cables only provide charging support and can't do data transfers.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #80
Always Learning

Good info. Since I don't really use it for directions, just giving me a glimpse of the map- I'll be fine with Apple Maps.

Thanks everyone!

Tags
3500, 500