Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
So seven inches from the center of the ball to the center of the triangle plate. Dang, that's short.
Do you feel that you have over 1000 lbs. force on the chains?
I don't know about a 1000 lbs., but the chains are tight for sure. I cannot impart much movement on the chain with my hand or foot.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #42

I have found one more issue. The manual that is online (and was sent to me by an Andersen rep) is not the 2014 version that came with my hitch in the box. There are a few differences. The 2013 version seems to be a draft as among other things it does not include the torque specification for the frame brackets that I can find.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #43
Incheon, S. Korea

I would love to take one of those urethane bushings and put it under 500 lbs. of load to see how much it deforms. Urethane can be stiff, so it may be creating that much force. What is the distance from the hitch ball to your front wheels? I want to run some numbers now that I have weights to work with.
Thanks for posting all this stuff!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #44

I don't have a way to measure the actual force on it. You can see it turns a little barrel shaped at 1/4" of compression. Post # 12 photo

Front wheels of the truck or the trailer?

I will get back out there this week and do some more work and get some more numbers.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #45

The answers came from Andersen.

They are going to update the online manual.

Chain length differences are expected by them. Mine are right at 1/4" different in total length including the threaded rod. As I suspected, the compensation I did for chain length disparity is "OK", but not the preferred method. I will likely move the brackets to make daily use easier. I will do the weld method in the end, anyway.

1/4" compression on the bushing is "close to maxed out". They recommended adding an additional washer to keep the washer from cutting into the red spring. I will do that just to be on the safe side. A couple of bucks at Home Depot will save me the concern.

They are sending me a new triangle bracket (because of the jagged edge) under warranty. Again, their customer service is some of the best I have experienced.