Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

My Firestone experience

I just pulled off a set of Bridgestone Revos due to tread cracking in all 4 tires;
norfl1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #2

Tires were just over 2 years old and had less than 40,000, with 6/32 tread remaining; needless to say, I was more than a little upset. This is the second set of B/F I've replaced this year with tread or sidewall cracking issues. They only went off road once, in some deep sugar sand, and about 10,000 were towing miles, the rest were commuting. Considering that I would get screwed by Firestone, and most likely get stuck with another B/F product, I went back to the OEM BFG RT, and am very happy.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #3

I had Firestones on my Class C Motor home/ 4 years old 42,000 Miles 2 trips to Alaska and there are still in great shape, over 1/2 tread left, would use anything else. Just sold it for a new class C which has Micheline,s, We shall see how they do, Heading back to Alaska next year.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Commercial Member

If what you have in the pictures is the worst case I think you have over-reacted to normal age stress cracking at tread elements.
If you take similar close inspection of other brands I am sure you will see similar in numerous tires.
What inflation are you running?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #5

I didn't get pics of all tread, but all 4 had at least 4 had cracks over an inch and deep enough into the carcass to insert the end of a ballpoint pen in up to the plastic so, no, it's not an overreaction. I had a set of Goodyears with similar cracks that blew out on me towing my StarCraft.

Tire pressures were 60 front, 50 rear (which is higher than Dodge states you can run them unloaded).
Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #6

I know oppinions are like ***holes but I have run Revos on my trucks and my sons truck for maybe 15 years,both trucks are TV's and plow trucks.I admit they have had the tread block cracks like you show,but it has never meant nuttin'.Never had any side wall or case issues. We change them out every 4 years,not because they are worn out,in fact they are useually about 50%,but just because of the service we subject them to. I put a set of our truck take offs on my 14000 gross dump box trailer and they have been there over 4 years w/o any issues.Just an endorsement from my experience.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #7

I've run a lot of different brands over the years (Michelins, Coopers, Goodyear, Firestone, BFG, Fisk, General, Toyo and some cheap local brands) and the only tires I've ever had do that were the B/F and Goodyears. The Michs had over 120,000 before they were legally worn without any sidewall or tread cracking (OEM LTX on 04 Ram 2500). After several blowouts pulling different rv's over the years, and the nearly $4000 resulting damage (including TV when the Goodyears blew) I don't trust tires with any sort of deformity or damage; that may be normal for some brands, but I still don't trust them not to suddenly fail. For my piece of mind, and families safety, the cost of new tires is worth it.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfl1971 View Post
I've run a lot of different brands over the years (Michelins, Coopers, Goodyear, Firestone, BFG, Fisk, General, Toyo and some cheap local brands) and the only tires I've ever had do that were the B/F and Goodyears. The Michs had over 120,000 before they were legally worn without any sidewall or tread cracking (OEM LTX on 04 Ram 2500). After several blowouts pulling different rv's over the years, and the nearly $4000 resulting damage (including TV when the Goodyears blew) I don't trust tires with any sort of deformity or damage; that may be normal for some brands, but I still don't trust them not to suddenly fail. For my piece of mind, and families safety, the cost of new tires is worth it.
I did not mean to imply that I believe in compromiseing on tires. If you knew me you would find that quite the oppisite is true.I went so far as to have the dealer on our 315 change out the tires to 16" marathon "E" from the whatever 15" "D" that came with it,along with the appropriate steel wheels and screw in stems for the "D" tires.Ive been driveing since 1959 and regularly towing (something) since the late 60's. I have never had a blow out on anything because I am anal about tires. Ive had 2 or 3 flats,and those tires were never run after being repaired,they were always replaced. My point is,that there is a time and place to become concerned about tread block cracks and minor road hazard stuff,and a time to be aware of it and be able to asess the possibility of failure.If a person does not feel comfortable doing this,then just get new tires and move on!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
I did not mean to imply that I believe in compromiseing on tires. If you knew me you would find that quite the oppisite is true.I went so far as to have the dealer on our 315 change out the tires to 16" marathon "E" from the whatever 15" "D" that came with it,along with the appropriate steel wheels and screw in stems for the "D" tires.Ive been driveing since 1959 and regularly towing (something) since the late 60's. I have never had a blow out on anything because I am anal about tires. Ive had 2 or 3 flats,and those tires were never run after being repaired,they were always replaced. My point is,that there is a time and place to become concerned about tread block cracks and minor road hazard stuff,and a time to be aware of it and be able to asess the possibility of failure.If a person does not feel comfortable doing this,then just get new tires and move on!
Why did you put ST tires on when you could've put LT tires on? ST's no matter what brand are inferior to LT's.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Why did you put ST tires on when you could've put LT tires on? ST's no matter what brand are inferior to LT's.
Would you mind explaining your opinion?
Old 01-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #11

Quote:
I guess you like LT'S, I do not think they are better except for the speed rating. I don't drive over 65 anyway except to pass another vehicle or truck. Also Black Tires in NC would not install anything but ST'S and made that quite clear to me when I got rid of the Trail Express. It is just there policy I guess. The great tire debates go's on.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Would you mind explaining your opinion?
If you read on other RV forums you'll find that ST tires are prone to blowouts. Doesn't mean they all do but the chances are considerably higher. The majority of 5er owners that do a good amount of traveling switch to LT tires. Most run Michelin Ribs, Bridgestone Duravis R250 or GY G14's. They last for way more miles and vary rarely give anyone trouble.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
If you are not a member already I suggest you go to RV.Net and join. Many many members there and lots of info. at ST failures. Going to LT tires do not guarantte their will be no failures bit I rest more comfortably with them.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #14

Quote:
If you read on other RV forums you'll find that ST tires are prone to blowouts. Doesn't mean they all do but the chances are considerably higher. The majority of 5er owners that do a good amount of traveling switch to LT tires. Most run Michelin Ribs, Bridgestone Duravis R250 or GY G14's. They last for way more miles and vary rarely give anyone trouble.
I have.
The number of reported ST failures when compared to the total number of member with like units is very small, If the ST tires were as bad as suggested the failure rate should be much higher but the numbers do not support this.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfl1971 View Post
I didn't get pics of all tread, but all 4 had at least 4 had cracks over an inch and deep enough into the carcass to insert the end of a ballpoint pen in up to the plastic so, no, it's not an overreaction. I had a set of Goodyears with similar cracks that blew out on me towing my StarCraft.

Tire pressures were 60 front, 50 rear (which is higher than Dodge states you can run them unloaded).
OK I could only go on the evidence (pictures) you presented.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 01-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I have.
The number of reported ST failures when compared to the total number of member with like units is very small, If the ST tires were as bad as suggested the failure rate should be much higher but the numbers do not support this.

Geese Idaho. Why do you want to go and introduce facts and logic into the discussion on tires for?
Next thing you will be suggesting is that because the majority of RVs have one or more tires in overload when they are actually measured, that the overload has something to do with tires failing.

You need to just stop bring up facts. We need more unsupported opinions on this and other RV forums.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #17

My money is now being spent on Michelin family of tires; the RT came stock with the truck, and was very happy with those until replacement at 60,000. Sidewalls cracked and split, but tread was still sound, which is what I would expect to find on older tires. I actually spent less, and am happier with my tire choice.

As for the ST/LT trailer tire debate; I lost a whole bunch of money when 2 of the OEM ST's blew out and tore the side and wheel well apart on my rig in less than a year after purchase. Tires were pretty old by this point (5 years) but showed no visible signs of damage or age. I put on a set of LT due to cost; no issues so far, but I also don't carry near max capacity in my rig. Had I to do it over again, I would go with a G rated tire and do an 8 lug conversion to my axles. Next rig will have 17.5's before pulling full time.