Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #41

Congrats!

Congratulations! Don't pay any attention to those negatively commenting on the year or motor. if it does what you need and you're happy with it, then you'll enjoy the trip that much more. Those are good solid trucks, you should have many more miles with it. Just keep scheduled service up to date, etc!

A lot of the diesel horrors are blown out of proportion just like a lot of the "gas motor can't tow that very good" issues are blown way out of proportion. In this case you didn't Need a diesel and I commend you on not getting one to just fit the click.. Seems you made a great decision on a very nice truck.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Congratulations! Don't pay any attention to those negatively commenting on the year or motor. if it does what you need and you're happy with it, then you'll enjoy the trip that much more. Those are good solid trucks, you should have many more miles with it. Just keep scheduled service up to date, etc!

A lot of the diesel horrors are blown out of proportion just like a lot of the "gas motor can't tow that very good" issues are blown way out of proportion. In this case you didn't Need a diesel and I commend you on not getting one to just fit the click.. Seems you made a great decision on a very nice truck.
Thanks for the positive reply! Yes I am enjoying the truck and looking forward to hooking up going where ever when ever. It was a well taken care of truck and glad I was the first one to go and check it out. It was posted only the day before, it was in Statesville,NC and I rode in the pouring rain because I had a feeling it was a good truck at a good price and would be jumped on which it was while I was there. I see you're in Greensboro. I have relatives there, two brothers born in Winston Salem and me in High Point so howdy neighbors! As for the negative comments they're just humor to me one ear and out the other. Thanks and enjoy your travels.

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #43

Everybody is different, I’m sure it’s a great truck to you but I wouldn’t even look at a truck that old. But that’s why different trucks and campers are sold. Enjoy the truck
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj469 View Post
I would only tow what the truck maker rates it for. The last time I looked diesel's where rated to tow more then gasoline.
Newer diesel trucks are rated to tow more than gassers but on some of the older trucks like the OP was posting about gassers have more payload and towing capacity than diesels.
Cardinalowner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 02:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
Thanks for the positive reply! Yes I am enjoying the truck and looking forward to hooking up going where ever when ever. It was a well taken care of truck and glad I was the first one to go and check it out. It was posted only the day before, it was in Statesville,NC and I rode in the pouring rain because I had a feeling it was a good truck at a good price and would be jumped on which it was while I was there. I see you're in Greensboro. I have relatives there, two brothers born in Winston Salem and me in High Point so howdy neighbors! As for the negative comments they're just humor to me one ear and out the other. Thanks and enjoy your travels.
Check your PM'S neighbor!
Old 05-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #46

I would consider a gasser for a 5er under 10,000 staying in the east. Knowing the difference I'd still not buy one to tow with though. On my 3rd diesel ~ 1st 2 over 150,000 miles. Current 2016 has 85,000 miles. Only one problem where one was down for 2 days under warranty. I'd not pull outside my driveway with a 15 year old truck. Just my opinion but much of that has times our and in need of replacement. I'm confident with a diesel to 150K and a gasser to 95K miles. Besides, I don't do truck payments. Diesels hold their value!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Sorry for the less than neutral comments to the OP.

I have an 05 Dodge with almost 200k on it... I don’t have an old truck cause I like old stuff...I have an old truck because to replace new is 55k+. I don’t have a $700 truck payment because I cannot afford it. I still have 3 kids at home and I am 55.

Good luck to you and your new TV. I hope it gives you many miles trouble free.
I hear you. I'm luckily retired at 62, TT is paid for, my fiver is paid for and I'm debt free.

Retirement life........
Old 05-26-2019, 04:34 PM   #48

I just gotta say that I'm kinda shocked at the somewhat negative vibe surrounding this thread. The guy didn't want a diesel, didn't want a large truck payment and seems to have calculated what he needed to tow his choice of RV.
Seems He is happy with that choice. 130K on a mid 80's vehicle is awe inspiring..But a 2004 Truck engine, and one kinda known for durability is a different animal. We had several domestic work trucks ford and chevy that had 100K more than what the OP has and they were still going strong. Regular service intervals and fix what wears out and you have many more miles of cheerful towing!
Old 05-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #49

Quote:
I just gotta say that I'm kinda shocked at the somewhat negative vibe surrounding this thread. The guy didn't want a diesel, didn't want a large truck payment and seems to have calculated what he needed to tow his choice of RV.
Seems He is happy with that choice. 130K on a mid 80's vehicle is awe inspiring..But a 2004 Truck engine, and one kinda known for durability is a different animal. We had several domestic work trucks ford and chevy that had 100K more than what the OP has and they were still going strong. Regular service intervals and fix what wears out and you have many more miles of cheerful towing!
Hey the diesel lovers are die hard when it comes to their trucks. Your correct about the one I bought, built for towing and will up to 10,000 lbs. If something happens down the road as it always will I won't be paying $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ like the guy's with diesels. Thanks for the kind reply and......

Retirement life........
Old 05-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #50

Quote:
I sold my Cadillac CTS Coupe to get a truck so yes it's a keeper going full time RVing.
We traded a Corvette for a truck so we could RV!
UGACamper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGACamper View Post
We traded a Corvette for a truck so we could RV!
Hey gotta do what ya gotta do right? I only had the Cadillac for 1 1/2 yrs and loved it! I sure couldn't pull my fiver with it though. Enjoy your journey's and..............

Retirement life........
Old 05-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #52

Quote:
X2 on the truck snobs......
Cardinalowner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #53
boatman

You need to put that camper on a Cat scale I have the same camper only 2004 model, mine weights just over 12000 lbs.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 09:02 PM   #54

My towing truck

My son has a 2500 gas Silverado that he brought new a couple of years ago. I would look a a gas truck but it would be a new truck. I don’t have to buy anything used ever again. Everyone has a opinion and I personally wouldn’t touch a truck that old with a 44 and a half foot pole. Buy what you like and can afford. Nothing wrong with buying a old truck. I brought my truck new and made payments until I paid the truck off. It seems like I have no more money than before I paid the truck off. I pass trucks pulling campers all the time and I never look at how old they are or how old the camper is. I really don’t care how old someone’s truck is.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 09:55 PM   #55

Nothing wrong with an older 2500, they run great! So what if something does happen, parts are readily available and can be repaired very quickly, unlike some of the newer fuel systems of today. Anyone that's had a newer diesel CP4 fuel pump implode knows what I'm talking about. Shoot, I'd drive ours anywhere towing our fifth wheel right now, no hesitation, currently have 213k on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	205577  
Old 05-27-2019, 12:34 AM   #56

Quote:
I posted a little while back about the best trucks to pull my fiver. I received many replies and thank you all for your input and advise. I just now purchased a truck a few weeks ago and decided against a diesel because of the cost of upkeep, repairs etc. I bought a 2004 Silverado 2500HD 6.0, 4:10 gears with 134,000 miles. The guy I bought it from ONLY sold it to pay off some land he had purchased. He was sort of mad when I was there to check it out and finally bought it. He had it for 5 years and truly loved it but as he said, I can get another truck but not the land. It's an extended cab, 3/4 ton and in really great shape. He had a rebuilt trans installed at a Chevy dealership (I have the paper work) only 20k miles ago I guess because one of the other 2 owners didn't keep the transmission serviced, one pulling a huge boat to the ocean and back. I just had a large universal trans cooler installed, much larger than stock to keep the trans cooler. Someone had also had headers installed for whatever reason. I'm really enjoying driving it and know that my gas millage will be around 8-10 pulling my fiver but saving on the costly maintenance and repairs of a diesel. I'll post a pic soon and again thanks all for the info on my previous thread.
Congratulations on your truck. A gasoline engine is more than capable to tow your trailer. I have a 11 f250 6.2L gas and tow my 13,000 lbs cedar creek all over the western u.s.
I have 150,000 miles on it.
My Dad was a otr truck driver in the 40s and 50s. His International was a gasser.
Jack
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2019, 04:44 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I guess I’m the odd man out here but there is no way I could buy a 2004 2500 gasser with 134,000 miles to pull a camper with. The land must have been cheap
Quote:
..., I wouldn’t buy a truck that old but I don’t have too. I wouldn’t advise anyone to buy a truck that old pulling a heavy camper but it’s his time and money. ….
Quote:
... but I wouldn’t even look at a truck that old. ….
Quote:
... I personally wouldn’t touch a truck that old with a 44 and a half foot pole. ....
Thanks for sharing with the group...nothing like rubbing your opinion in..

Quote:
It is shocking and a violation of the rules...even more puzzling is why it is allowed to continue. Community rules, 6th down: "Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go."

Disagreements, opinions and even warm discussions are great, I'm all for it, but the OP asked for neither on this thread and was posting to celebrate his truck.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:47 AM   #58

That truck is awesome! Anytime you get a new truck it’s awesome and I’m mean new to you.

I had a wonderful 2500 Suburban with that motor. The 6.0 L iron block is one of the most reliable motors GM ever made. It will suck the gas but so does everything else.

I’m still not sure I made the right decision buying a diesel and my brother bought the same truck w the 6.4 Hemi.

If it was mine I’d have ever belt. And every hose changed. I’d look long and hard at the suspension and brakes and see if the shocks, brake etc need replaced and maybe upgraded.

Spend your money on safety and reliability projects.

Make sure the tires aren’t too old. If they are over 5 years I’d change em our just because you don’t know the driving history or even flat repair history.

Then you can just be proud of it because it is a good truck that will easily last to 350000 miles.

Have fun!

Peace

Mike
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #59

This is true about lack of Diesel Mechanics- we can only go to our deal for repairs and they only have 1 diesel mechanic. No mechanics with 40miles of us. We had issues with our Diesel RAM 1500 4x4 2015 with 70K miles on it. Bought it with 20K, blown engine at 30K under warranty had new engine put in. Then our first camping trip this year we had to turn around and go home due to blown fuel injector. Weeks before it was in shop with sensors replaced. We got a lemon and decided to trade in and got a Ford 2017 4x4 EcoBoost.

Folks here are from various stages in their lives. Financially and also with kids, grown and married kids out of the house, no kids, retirement, etc. Some folks can afford a 60K TV while others can afford less and some pay cash and have no payment.

Enjoy your truck and happy travels!

TT: Purchased @2/1/19 Wildwood X Lite 230BHXL
Irobutterfly59 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2019, 08:05 AM   #60

Quote:
I'll also ask if he has had the differential service done. You were a big help in getting the truck right for towing!
Hey... just service all the fluids in your new to you truck and start from a known place... fluid replacement is not that expensive... include a radiator flush too...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
towing, truck