Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #61

I think someone said something about this in response but no one picked up on this but the fact is you are going to overload your truck. Most people look at dry weight. But now don’t get me wrong I see it all the time of people pulling to much camper with the truck they they have. Just something to be aware of, I have seen 1/2 ton pickups pulling fifth wheels. I don’t like to pee in anybody’s corn flakes but in your case you need to load the camper and truck up and find some scales. I pulled one up on the web and it looks like a pretty camper. I use my campers bathroom on the road so I’m normally carrying twenty gallons of fresh water plus always some water in the black water tank. It’s retirement time not a worry time. I’m having the best time of my life, I enjoy having nothing to do all day. My son has a gas 2500, he could not justify a diesel truck but he knows what he can tow. Anyway enjoy your truck and camper, I do mine.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #62

Hey Pokey, please consider the tires on your Chevy and tires on your RV for replacement if they are over 5 years old.

In my opinion, this truck can safely pull the Cardinal. Condition of brakes on both vehicles, suspension checks on both, and you might need addition suspension support on the truck like airbags or timbrens.

I like Cardinals a lot and they have proven a very good camper over the years. Bottom line is most of us overthink everything on these forums. I’m always looking thinking about the next upgrade. Sometimes forget just to have fun.

Peace

Mike
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #63
Lame *****

You'll like the truck. I have 75k pulling miles of the total 85K on mine with no big issuees. I suspect the headers came about from broken manifold bolts which is common on these. Also if the previous owner washed the motor there is a chance the knock sensor could corrode. Outside of that change all fluids and rubber and spin it up.

It looks like the truck is in good shape and being down in Dixie chances are it has not seen salt. I have seen 2 these rot the brake lines but they both came from salt belt, MI and Gary IN.

Don't let the downers bring you down. You have a fine old truck and not a dang thing wrong with that. Sad a feller gets a new truck and he gets keyboard bashed. How many would walk up in person and say what has been posted?
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #64

My towing truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
You'll like the truck. I have 75k pulling miles of the total 85K on mine with no big issuees. I suspect the headers came about from broken manifold bolts which is common on these. Also if the previous owner washed the motor there is a chance the knock sensor could corrode. Outside of that change all fluids and rubber and spin it up.

It looks like the truck is in good shape and being down in Dixie chances are it has not seen salt. I have seen 2 these rot the brake lines but they both came from salt belt, MI and Gary IN.

Don't let the downers bring you down. You have a fine old truck and not a dang thing wrong with that. Sad a feller gets a new truck and he gets keyboard bashed. How many would walk up in person and say what has been posted?

Me.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Me.
AND me. Why hold back the truth?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 09:36 PM   #66

Hey Pokey,
Congrats on your truck. I gotta say I've got you beat as far as truck age (and maybe my age) is concerned. I bought a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 8.0 v10 in it. It has 98K miles on it and there's no rust. My old Dodge is a regular cab 2wd. It's rated to pull 12600 and has a payload capacity of 2600. My Cherokee 274RK comes in at about 7K dry so I've got a pretty good margin for weight ant payload. I agree with you that diesels are expensive to buy and to operate. As a retired teacher/librarian, I don't have the bread for a new or even almost new truck without giving up any possibility of ever upgrading my camper. Like many others I need to live within my means and avoid a new truck payment. I also have some experience with the chevy 6.0. After I retired, I drove a courier truck for 15 years for a local company. They bought an Izuzu box truck with a 6.0 in it in 2010 and I put almost 250K on it before they retired it. It wasn't the engine that caused it to be retired. The 6.0 was still going strong and burned no oil. It was a host of other nickel and dime issues that in general had more to do with the izuzu than the power train. I've been thinking a little about upgrading to a camper with a few more slides and an outdoor kitchen. I'd like to stay under 9k dry if I do it. I feel pretty confident that my old v10 can handle that. I guess its all about priorities. I'd rather have a nicer camper than a nicer truck and there's no way I can afford both. Again, enjoy your truck.

Don Williams a.k.a. Librarian
Librarianwhs is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 09:40 PM   #67

Enjoy the new to you rig! I’m not an expert so can’t comment other than to say it seems you have done your research and are happy within that. I wouldn’t pull that weight with that truck, but that’s just me. I’m a diesel guy and like the gut busting power of my 6.7l Ford. Hope you enjoy your experiences and have a great and safe time camping!
2011 F250 2WD 6.7L Crew 3:35
Husky Centerline
reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #68

That is a great looking truck. I never understood people going out and spending 30-70k for a nice diesel to save a little on gas. It you do the math on it, you’ll realize it’s insane. I don’t blame anyone for buying a new diesel though, we have the money in an account waiting to be spent on a diesel truck, but my old truck just won’t die haha. I have a 1994 Silverado with the 7.4 motor and 4.10 gears. Yeah, it’s kinda gutless, but it gets us where we want to go and has never let us down. We tow long distances and have put a lot of miles on it. I have never even had to take it to a shop. I only get 14 mpg empty at best, and easily less then 10 when towing our fifth wheel, but gas is relatively cheap. I think old Chevy trucks are great. You will be fine with that big/new transmission and the upgraded cooler on there. You sound like the kind of guy that will keep up on the preventative maintenance and come out good in the end. You just might get passed by the diesels up the hills, but who gives a crap? Just slow down and enjoy the ride.
unclesamster87 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
I hear you. I'm luckily retired at 62, TT is paid for, my fiver is paid for and I'm debt free.
This is key. I am retired as well. I like to say it’s a lot easier spending money than finding more if it. Debt in retirement is really bad, and balloons your cost of living. Better to live within your means.

Often high mileage trucks can make the best deals as people are scared to touch them.
NC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Thanks for sharing with the group...nothing like rubbing your opinion in..

It is shocking and a violation of the rules...even more puzzling is why it is allowed to continue. Community rules, 6th down: "Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go."

Disagreements, opinions and even warm discussions are great, I'm all for it, but the OP asked for neither on this thread and was posting to celebrate his truck.
“People, I just want to say, you know, can we all JUST get along? Can we get along?”
Rodney King, May 1, 1992
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #71

Old gassers are ok

I'm with Pokey. Just bought a 2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L with 124,000 on it. Perfect truck for my Wildwood. A deal is a deal.
dopplebock is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #72

Thumbs up My towing truck

Mine is a 2005 Suburban 2500 with the same 6.0. Bought it five years ago with 77k miles. Now have 110k on it. Tow occasionally but plan to retire in two years and plan to step it up bit then. I got a tremendous deal on a Southern California vehicle and saved a pile of money. I can fix things if and when they occur and can sleep at night knowing I’m not making an $800 a month truck payment.

So, to the guy that started this thread, I say good job. You think like I do.
skacatz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #73

Make sure you can stop your load

Actually, gas vs diesel is really not the issue. Weight and stopping ability are easily as important or more than pulling ability.
The folks that suggested you put it on cat scales are giving you good advise. Keep good 10ply E-rate tires on the truck. Don’t exceed the payload capacity of the truck. Check your load on the rear axle of the truck on the scales.
Stay safe and enjoy the trip.
findthehumorinthings is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #74

Nice truck pokey, I pull our Cherokee travel trailer with a 02 2500 with the 6.0. It has the 4.10 gears and 177k miles. It does great. I keep the speed about 60 to 65 depending on the hills. The truck seems happy with that! My dry weight is about 6300 lbs. I’ve owned the truck long before we bought a TT and while I would love to have a newer Duramax with more room for the kids in the backseat it’s just not in my budget especially since this one is paid for. As long as your happy with your purchase which sounds like you are! Happy camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D233D51-7E05-4BF2-BCA5-0C2AE785A1DF.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	653.0 KB
ID:	206542  
JBFah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2019, 11:00 PM   #75

Our '07 Avalanche has that era's 2500 series drivetrain: 6.0L Vortec, 4L60E heavy duty transmission, 4.10 rear-end, oil & transmission coolers, etc.

170,000 miles and the old Avy is going strong. I'd be confident buying a well-maintained, high-mileage Chevy 2500HD.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
towing, truck