Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #1

My towing truck

I posted a little while back about the best trucks to pull my fiver. I received many replies and thank you all for your input and advise. I just now purchased a truck a few weeks ago and decided against a diesel because of the cost of upkeep, repairs etc. I bought a 2004 Silverado 2500HD 6.0, 4:10 gears with 134,000 miles. The guy I bought it from ONLY sold it to pay off some land he had purchased. He was sort of mad when I was there to check it out and finally bought it. He had it for 5 years and truly loved it but as he said, I can get another truck but not the land. It's an extended cab, 3/4 ton and in really great shape. He had a rebuilt trans installed at a Chevy dealership (I have the paper work) only 20k miles ago I guess because one of the other 2 owners didn't keep the transmission serviced, one pulling a huge boat to the ocean and back. I just had a large universal trans cooler installed, much larger than stock to keep the trans cooler. Someone had also had headers installed for whatever reason. I'm really enjoying driving it and know that my gas millage will be around 8-10 pulling my fiver but saving on the costly maintenance and repairs of a diesel. I'll post a pic soon and again thanks all for the info on my previous thread.

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2019, 07:07 PM   #2

Congrats. Sounds like you got plenty of TV for your camper. Should make it much more fun to travel.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #3

[QUOTE=pokey;2103922]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
Thanks, It'll pull 10,300lbs and my fiver is 9,730 and won't be maybe 100-150lbs inside. I'll enjoy pulling with it. It drives and handles great and I'll enjoy pulling with it. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Congratulations. If it does what you need it to do, then that's what counts. And it sounds like you got a keeper. Enjoy!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Congratulations. If it does what you need it to do, then that's what counts. And it sounds like you got a keeper. Enjoy!
I sold my Cadillac CTS Coupe to get a truck so yes it's a keeper going full time RVing.

Retirement life........
Old 05-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #6

I guess I’m the odd man out here but there is no way I could buy a 2004 2500 gasser with 134,000 miles to pull a camper with. The land must have been cheap
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2019, 10:01 PM   #7

Pokey,

The 6.0 will pull your 10K RV but it will have it's hands full. I have a 2003 Express van with the 6.0 and 4.10 gears and a 2004 Suburban 8.1 with 4.10 gears. The Suburban pulls much better than the 6.0.

You have the Gen3 LQ4 6.0 that makes 300hp/360tq. The engine is very durable but will not win any races.

With the 4l85e trans you will be towing in 3rd gear (1:1 ratio) running 2700-2900 rpms at 60-65 mph. Even moderate grades will require 2nd gear and 4000-4500 rpms to maintain speed.

The 4.10 gears will help, but I would recommend staying with the factory tire size 245/75/16. Most of the 2000-2006 chevys that I see have been "upgraded" to 265/75/16 or 285/75/16 which reduces the effective gear ratio and hurts your towing.

You will be ok so long as you have have reasonable expectations for acceleration and power. Don't be afraid to rev it, you'll have too to get the power that you need.
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1 liter, 4.10, tow rating 12,000, GCWR 19,000, Doorjamb payload: 2108
2003 Suburban 1500 Z71, 5.3/3.73, airbags, LT tires, Big Brake Upgrade, Prodigy P2
Shamrockthecasbah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2019, 11:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I guess I’m the odd man out here but there is no way I could buy a 2004 2500 gasser with 134,000 miles to pull a camper with. The land must have been cheap
Why? I tow with a 2006 gasser with 150k, tows just fine. More reliable than my wifes new dodge. Stay on top of maintenance and dont beat them to death and they with run a long time.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:59 PM   #9

I have to agree with above, an 04 gaser with 134,000 miles on it. That is the very reason I got new with diesel. An 04 pickup is 15 years old. I hear people talk about maintenance on diesel, an oil change and filters every 5,000 miles and if newer, DEF at $8 per 2.5 gallons which lasts about 2,000 miles towing. I don't see that as a problem and diesel's being a much better TV. A 15 year old truck will have problems that need replacement. Good Luck
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 04:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrockthecasbah View Post
Pokey,

The 6.0 will pull your 10K RV but it will have it's hands full. I have a 2003 Express van with the 6.0 and 4.10 gears and a 2004 Suburban 8.1 with 4.10 gears. The Suburban pulls much better than the 6.0.

You have the Gen3 LQ4 6.0 that makes 300hp/360tq. The engine is very durable but will not win any races.

With the 4l85e trans you will be towing in 3rd gear (1:1 ratio) running 2700-2900 rpms at 60-65 mph. Even moderate grades will require 2nd gear and 4000-4500 rpms to maintain speed.

The 4.10 gears will help, but I would recommend staying with the factory tire size 245/75/16. Most of the 2000-2006 chevys that I see have been "upgraded" to 265/75/16 or 285/75/16 which reduces the effective gear ratio and hurts your towing.

You will be ok so long as you have have reasonable expectations for acceleration and power. Don't be afraid to rev it, you'll have too to get the power that you need.
Thanks for the information. I know from researching before I bought it that it will work for my need and like you said, it's not going to win any races. I'll be in no rush while traveling and mainly highway until getting to my destination.

Retirement life........
Old 05-26-2019, 04:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky KLX View Post
Why? I tow with a 2006 gasser with 150k, tows just fine. More reliable than my wifes new dodge. Stay on top of maintenance and dont beat them to death and they with run a long time.
I've read where there are many out there towing with gassers. The one I bought has a fairly new rebuilt heavy duty trans and worse case scenario having a Jasper engine install for $486.00 + labor with core charge. That would be the cost of replacing some injectors in a diesel. Like you said, maintenance is the key keeping it going and going.

Retirement life........
Old 05-26-2019, 04:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Worse case scenario down the road for many many miles spending $486.00 after core charge for a Jasper 6.0 is still way below the cost of a minor repair on a diesel.

Retirement life........
Old 05-26-2019, 05:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj469 View Post
I have to agree with above, an 04 gaser with 134,000 miles on it. That is the very reason I got new with diesel. An 04 pickup is 15 years old. I hear people talk about maintenance on diesel, an oil change and filters every 5,000 miles and if newer, DEF at $8 per 2.5 gallons which lasts about 2,000 miles towing. I don't see that as a problem and diesel's being a much better TV. A 15 year old truck will have problems that need replacement. Good Luck
Good luck to you sir, you're going to need it. Scheduled maintenance is one thing...the unscheduled nightmare that a modern diesel can't seem to aviod is the problem. There is a reason companies that used to use diesels have been switching to gas motors. A guy at work last job was managing a fleet of diesels they had reps from the big three. They switched everything to gas and haven't looked back...less down time, less maintenance and more productivity as a result. The new diesels aren't getting by on scheduled maintenance even before the 200,000 mile mark.

What's the matter with some you folks peeing in Pokey's cheerios? There must be something in DEF fluid that causes uncontrollable keyboard regurgitation. Go spend some time on the diesel forum where not even the 'pro' diesel guys will recommend a diesel if you don't need one...
/////////////////////////////
Your truck will be fine. The 6.0 is a hammer...it just keeps working. There's a guy hauling with his that just went over 500,000 miles only replacing a water pump and two alternators (maybe vise versa).

I have about 7,000 miles pulling a 9,500lbs camper with the 6.0...it will be over 10,000 in a couple months. I found one grade that dropped speed a little below 70mph in the Appalachian's and my set up is an aero nightmare (two kayaks on top of the truck, two bicycles in front of the camper). The truck performs great...The motor temp never moves, the hottest the transmission has ever been is about 180 (which is less than a 1/2 tons while getting groceries).

Congrats on the new to you truck.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Good luck to you sir, you're going to need it. Scheduled maintenance is one thing...the unscheduled nightmare that a modern diesel can't seem to aviod is the problem. There is a reason companies that used to use diesels have been switching to gas motors. A guy at work last job was managing a fleet of diesels they had reps from the big three. They switched everything to gas and haven't looked back...less down time, less maintenance and more productivity as a result. The new diesels aren't getting by on scheduled maintenance even before the 200,000 mile mark.

What's the matter with some you folks peeing in Pokey's cheerios? There must be something is DEF fluid that causes uncontrollable keyboard regurgitation. Go spend some time on the diesel forum where not even the 'pro' diesel guys will recommend a diesel if you don't need one...
Your truck will be fine. The 6.0 is a hammer...it just keeps working. There's a guy hauling with his that just went over 500,000 miles only replacing a water pump and two alternators (maybe vise versa).

I have about 7,000 miles pulling a 9,500lbs camper with the 6.0...it will be over 10,000 in a couple months. I found one grade that dropped speed a little below 70mph in the Appalachian's and my set up is an aero nightmare (two kayaks on top of the truck, two bicycles in front of the camper). The truck performs great...The motor temp never moves, the hottest the transmission has ever been is about 180 (which is less than a 1/2 tons while getting groceries).

Thanks for the positive reply. Yes to each their own on pretty much anything. These 6.0's are tough and I've read what you said about companies switching from diesel to gas because of costs and downtime. The transmission in these are also used in school buses. I watched a YouTube video of a guy pulling an 8 ton piece of heavy equipment with the same truck that I have. They're tough.........Chevy tough!
Thanks

Retirement life........
Old 05-26-2019, 06:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the positive reply. Yes to each their own on pretty much anything. These 6.0's are tough and I've read what you said about companies switching from diesel to gas because of costs and downtime. The transmission in these are also used in school buses. I watched a YouTube video of a guy pulling an 8 ton piece of heavy equipment with the same truck that I have. They're tough.........Chevy tough!
Thanks
I'm also having another PCM installed to make it a tougher truck.

Retirement life........
Old 05-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #16

Quote:
I posted a little while back about the best trucks to pull my fiver. I received many replies and thank you all for your input and advise. I just now purchased a truck a few weeks ago and decided against a diesel because of the cost of upkeep, repairs etc. I bought a 2004 Silverado 2500HD 6.0, 4:10 gears with 134,000 miles. The guy I bought it from ONLY sold it to pay off some land he had purchased. He was sort of mad when I was there to check it out and finally bought it. He had it for 5 years and truly loved it but as he said, I can get another truck but not the land. It's an extended cab, 3/4 ton and in really great shape. He had a rebuilt trans installed at a Chevy dealership (I have the paper work) only 20k miles ago I guess because one of the other 2 owners didn't keep the transmission serviced, one pulling a huge boat to the ocean and back. I just had a large universal trans cooler installed, much larger than stock to keep the trans cooler. Someone had also had headers installed for whatever reason. I'm really enjoying driving it and know that my gas millage will be around 8-10 pulling my fiver but saving on the costly maintenance and repairs of a diesel. I'll post a pic soon and again thanks all for the info on my previous thread.
Pics of the truck:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	205512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck 1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	205513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck 2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	205514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck 4.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	205515  

Retirement life........
Old 05-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post

What's the matter with some you folks peeing in Pokey's cheerios? There must be something in DEF fluid that causes uncontrollable keyboard regurgitation. Go spend some time on the diesel forum where not even the 'pro' diesel guys will recommend a diesel if you don't need one...

I have never had a problem with my Diesel engine. In 161,000 miles no problem. I have had problems with the emissions but I won’t ever have any more problems with def. I see you have never ran Black Mountain near Asheville NC. That’s a 15 year old truck pulling a heavy camper but it’s his money. I would not be buying a truck like that. But hey it’s my opinion. Buy what you like. I have never brought a 15 year old truck or a car. I did buy a 25 year old truck one time but it wasn’t for pulling it was for speed. It was a 51 Chevy pickup, a 327ci engine with 375 heads, bored and stroked. It had 3 carburetors, 2 barrels each that had been bored out and 3 electric fuel pumps. When you got on that engine you could watch the gas gauge drop, the truck could pass most vehicles but not a gas station. So buy what you like, I wouldn’t buy a truck that old but I don’t have too. I wouldn’t advise anyone to buy a truck that old pulling a heavy camper but it’s his time and money. I looked at the Kelly Blue Book and the guy that sold him the truck to buy land must have stolen the land
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #18

Quote:
I have never had a problem with my Diesel engine. In 161,000 miles no problem. I have had problems with the emissions but I won’t ever have any more problems with def. I see you have never ran Black Mountain near Asheville NC. That’s a 15 year old truck pulling a heavy camper but it’s his money. I would not be buying a truck like that. But hey it’s my opinion. Buy what you like. I have never brought a 15 year old truck or a car. I did buy a 25 year old truck one time but it wasn’t for pulling it was for speed. It was a 51 Chevy pickup, a 327ci engine with 375 heads, bored and stroked. It had 3 carburetors, 2 barrels each that had been bored out and 3 electric fuel pumps. When you got on that engine you could watch the gas gauge drop, the truck could pass most vehicles but not a gas station. So buy what you like, I wouldn’t buy a truck that old but I don’t have too. I wouldn’t advise anyone to buy a truck that old pulling a heavy camper but it’s his time and money. I looked at the Kelly Blue Book and the guy that sold him the truck to buy land must have stolen the land
Wow

Thanks for clearing that up on the emissions that is part of owning a diesel.

You seem really nice...adding good stuff to Pokeys thread...thanks for playing.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Pics of the truck:
Looks like your truck was well taken care of.
Enjoy.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #20

Sorry for the less than neutral comments to the OP.

I have an 05 Dodge with almost 200k on it... I don’t have an old truck cause I like old stuff...I have an old truck because to replace new is 55k+. I don’t have a $700 truck payment because I cannot afford it. I still have 3 kids at home and I am 55.

Good luck to you and your new TV. I hope it gives you many miles trouble free.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
towing, truck