Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #1

My wdh setup

With trailer my front fender height was 37 inches both sides, without trailer I was at 36 5/8????? How can I get more weight to the front end?
2013 campouts:1
recon33alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon33alpha View Post
With trailer my front fender height was 37 inches both sides, without trailer I was at 36 5/8????? How can I get more weight to the front end?
tightening the wdh one chain link will "push" a little more weight forward on the truck. Try a link at atime and see where it drives best. good luck when it's right, you'll know it by how steady it feels when towing.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Yea seemed skittle "loose" in the front end. I'm at 4 links hanging, how far can I go before some other adjustment needs to take place?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Yea seemed skittle "loose" in the front end. I'm at 4 links hanging, how far can I go before some other adjustment needs to take place?
On my last bumper pull I used 4 links hanging, unless I had extra load in truck like ATV. Then I went 5 links to keep it level. 5 links ain't too much. Try it. Just jack trailer tongue a little higher to aid in dropping the 5th link. Not sure what else can be done. Maybe stronger wdh spring bars. Hopefully someone else will comment. Good luck.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #5

It'd be nice to know what setup you have. The Reese dual cam should be kept at 5 links to keep safe clearance tolerances, and the ball height or head tilt should be adjusted to get the needed weight transfer. Setup is critical for proper performance, and I'd say read your instructions and double check the installation. Bar tension is also critical for sway control on the Reese system, as the detent in the bars resting on the cam, is designed such that it wants to keep the trailer in alignment, and is always working to do that. If the tension isn't sufficient, you'll basically have no sway control.

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #6

I do have the Reese system. I also have air bags, could this be screwing my system up? I didn't have the bags when the wdh was first installed. My thinking in adding the bags was comfort, should I add air after the hookup? I usually do it before? New to the camping world and often learn the hard way, lol. And mine is the 1200 lb system.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #7

Quote:
I do have the Reese system. I also have air bags, could this be screwing my system up? I didn't have the bags when the wdh was first installed. My thinking in adding the bags was comfort, should I add air after the hookup? I usually do it before? New to the camping world and often learn the hard way, lol. And mine is the 1200 lb system.
I'd say the bags are probably unloading the hitch and not allowing it to distribute weight to the front. I'd probably adjust the hitch to match the bags if you're gonna use them. Try airing the bags up and then adjust ball height and head tilt, staying with 5 links in service. Take the time and follow the instructions, and you'll get better results. The Reese is an excellent system when dialed in. Is your truck a half ton?

Old 05-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #8
Just a member

Quote:
Recon, I'm running the Reese dual-cam and added air bags (Airlift) after initial setup. Weight distribution via the Reese system did not change with the addition of the bags. I would suggest that your WDH system is the culprit in your dimensional anomaly. Airbags may bump up the hind end of you TV a bit depending on how much air you pump in but it will not affect the weight distribution being supplied by a properly configured WDH.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
Engineer of Crazy Train

I would think the air bags could take some of the tension off the WDH. You jack up to take tension off to hookup and unhook.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydBack View Post
It'd be nice to know what setup you have. The Reese dual cam should be kept at 5 links to keep safe clearance tolerances, and the ball height or head tilt should be adjusted to get the needed weight transfer. Setup is critical for proper performance, and I'd say read your instructions and double check the installation. Bar tension is also critical for sway control on the Reese system, as the detent in the bars resting on the cam, is designed such that it wants to keep the trailer in alignment, and is always working to do that. If the tension isn't sufficient, you'll basically have no sway control.
If I may elaborate on LaydBack's excellent advice:

The 5 link minimum chain length is those links measured between the spring bars and the snap-up brackets.......not the extra chain lengths not used. The minimum chain length is important, especially for a non-dual cam setup, so that the chain has room to swing during turns. With the dual-cam setup, the chain doesn't swing because the spring bars ride on the cam, but the 5 link minimum between the snap-up bracket and cam is still important to allow clearance between the spring bar and cam yoke.

If you can't get enough weight distributing with the 5 chain length minimum between the snap-up bracket and spring bars, then the head assembly will need to be tilted back a notch or 2. Anytime the head assembly is adjusted or different chain lengths are used, you need to fine-tune the spring bar crook in the cam setting.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I would think the air bags could take some of the tension off the WDH. You jack up to take tension off to hookup and unhook.
My point exactly. Air the bags up to the pressure you go down the road with and set the hitch up based on that ball height. I'm not making this into a pissing match, just trying to send the OP down the right avenue to fix his problem. The 1200 lb bars are pretty stiff and a bear to load up as it is. OP, feel free to PM me. I sold my trailer that I used the Reese on, but remember the woes of getting it setup properly behind the dealer's install. Properly setup, it was flawless, even in winds, and big trucks were nothing!

Old 05-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #12

Pm sent
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #13

I went out and checked the dual cam setup, everything looks to be right as far as measurements and the spring bars are concerned, the seat in the detent great. I have no directions for the actual truck hitch however guess I will tilt it a little and see what happens
Old 05-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
I went out and checked the dual cam setup, everything looks to be right as far as measurements and the spring bars are concerned, the seat in the detent great. I have no directions for the actual truck hitch however guess I will tilt it a little and see what happens
Just remember, when you tilt, you will have to readjust the cams.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #15

And counting links I was running the five links, 4 hanging down
Old 05-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #16
Just a member

Quote:
I do have the Reese system. I also have air bags, could this be screwing my system up?
Curious... what air bag system are you employing? I ask because, generally, AM air bags are intended (designed) to supplement the stock suspension without distorting the ride height. When you air up your air bags is the frame of your TV being raised so much as to unload the spring bars?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote