Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I see you have a 2011...doesn't it have a Reese Revolution pinbox?

Did you hit the cab even with the Revolution pinbox?

Dave
A Revolution is just like a standard pinbox UNLESS you activate the Sidewinder option of removing the 2 locking bolts and installing the wedge behind the pin. They come from the factory configured as a regular pinbox.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #12

Hitch suggestion. My 2 cents

For what it's worth:
I have the Reese 20K with slider in my GMC 6.5' bed, with the Reese Revolution on my 8289WS. I got the 20K because I wanted the larger double pivoting head and the single hook jaw (because I feel it's a more secure connection-also, I don't get any knocks or clunks when starting and stopping). I bought it with the slider for a several reasons:
1) If I decided I didn't like the way the Revolution worked, I could revert to the fixed pinbox and use the slider.
2) If I ever wanted/needed to move/pull another trailer with a regular pinbox, I have the slider to use.
3) It's cheaper to buy the hitch with the slider than buying the slider later.
And,
4) Someday, if(when?) I get a heavier trailer and a different truck to tow it, I won't have to buy a new hitch.

Yeah, it's rated for twice the weight I tow(and, it's heavy), but I just didn't like the design of the "adequately" rated hitches.
Here's the hitch w/slider I have:
Reese 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch with Square Tube Slider - 20,000 lbs Reese Fifth Wheel RP30084

2012 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Package
Days camping in 2012: 20, 2013: 20, 2014: 23, 2015: 10, 2016: 13

Kirk Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #13
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieadie
We've ordered a Rockwood 8244WS from the factory, so the Reese Revolution will be installed on our unit.

We have a 6.5' bed truck. Rockwood/Flagstaff advertise that we won't need a slider due to the extension on the RV. Yet, the local RV dealers, where we would purchase and install the hitch, insist that we need to have a slider.

We also want to be able to use the bed of our truck for a bit of storage, so we are obviously concerned with the slider increasing the footprint size of the hitch.

Then there is the decision of a "jaw" or "bar" type of hitch. The "bar" hitch is quite a bit more reasonable; yet are there safety differences between the two.

Thanks for your help.
You only need the slider if you will be executing 90 degree turns (which will probably lead to chassis failure which will make the slider question moot)

I've pulled a 5th wheel for over 100k miles without ever needing or even wishing for a slider. All those miles were done with a short bed F250!
For my money Reese would be the last hitch I'd consider. I use a Curt 20k in my F350 and never have to worry about a "high hitch" situation that inevitably will lead to a dropped 5er and crushed bed rails on your truck. The last Reese I observed would flex as in move fore & aft when the truck was put into motion. Damn scariest thing I've seen in a hitch!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #14

Just thinking

If you extend your trailer 22 inches back for clearance and it rides there all the time....how does that effect your pin wt in reference to the axle and the amount on the hitch......plus it must make your rig almost two feet longer?

Does it put more side load on tires when backing and turning than the normal position hitches..????

Seems like there are always trade offs for anything we do....

Good luck

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
If you extend your trailer 22 inches back for clearance and it rides there all the time....how does that effect your pin wt in reference to the axle and the amount on the hitch......plus it must make your rig almost two feet longer?

Does it put more side load on tires when backing and turning than the normal position hitches..????

Seems like there are always trade offs for anything we do....

Good luck
You don't extend the hitch back 22". The hitchpin is at the standard position, the trailer pivot is 22" back IF the Sidewinder option is activated. Changes nothing with respect to the axle or weight on the hitch.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #16

Thanks for all your help...lots of decisions to make.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #17

ralphie, I see no one answered your question about the choice between a 'jaw' or 'bar' type hitch. They both work well, but I chose the bar type for the peace of mind. I know the jaw type never let go, but with that solid chuck of bar steel behind my fifth pin, I KNOW it ain't going anywhere!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
ralphie, I see no one answered your question about the choice between a 'jaw' or 'bar' type hitch. They both work well, but I chose the bar type for the peace of mind. I know the jaw type never let go, but with that solid chuck of bar steel behind my fifth pin, I KNOW it ain't going anywhere!
With a Hitch catcher or saver, I have the jaws AND a 1" dia. 1045 cd stl shaft as insurance.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #19
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

With a Hitch catcher or saver, I have the jaws AND a 1" dia. 1045 cd stl shaft as insurance.
With that Reese hitch I'd have that hitch catcher too!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #20

2 more cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
You only need the slider if you will be executing 90 degree turns (which will probably lead to chassis failure which will make the slider question moot)

I've pulled a 5th wheel for over 100k miles without ever needing or even wishing for a slider. All those miles were done with a short bed F250!
For my money Reese would be the last hitch I'd consider. I use a Curt 20k in my F350 and never have to worry about a "high hitch" situation that inevitably will lead to a dropped 5er and crushed bed rails on your truck. The last Reese I observed would flex as in move fore & aft when the truck was put into motion. Damn scariest thing I've seen in a hitch!
I do like the Curt hitches.. I even used their frame bracket kit and rails, but their hitches are not recommended for use with the Reese Revolution-from Curt Q20 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch with R20 Slider - 20,000 lbs Curt Fifth Wheel C16536 "Note: Curt Q-Series fifth-wheel hitches are not compatible with Sidewinder or Revolution king pins. The extra movement of these cushioned hitches keeps the Sidewinder from functioning properly."
My Reese 20K is very similar to the Curt Q20, and being made from 3/16+ steel, welded pivot pin, etc., it's NOT flexing. I agree that the lesser rated hitches-especially without the slider (angled legs instead of a square box of steel from the crossbar to the slider rails) do not appear to have very good stability-ANOTHER reason I went with the slider.
You can find non-slider hitches with a solid base-type mount instead of legs...but you just used up as much of your bed space as with the slider.
I wish the Curts were compatible with the Revolution-they are a nicely designed and built unit...

2012 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Package
Days camping in 2012: 20, 2013: 20, 2014: 23, 2015: 10, 2016: 13

Kirk Sr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel