Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #21

I have a 16k Husky with a slider that I got when I owned a Jayco, I could not turn over about 80 degrees without using the slider. I now have a rev. on my new Rookwood. I use it and I'm very pleased with it. My last trip to Calif from Virginia I went down some wrong roads and without it I would never to be able to make a u turn from shoulder to shoulder of the road without letting the slider out. Now I do not worry. As far as your bed, it will give you all that space back being like Dave said the pivot point is moved back 22" so I can now use the space behind my Husky without it hitting anything in the bed. It's not worth it to me to invest in a non slider at this point. I can not lock the release bar like a Reese, but a Husky is better built hitch in my opinion. This product lives up to the demo shown on the video.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #22

The dealership that I purchased my 2012 Flagstaff with a Reese Revolution pin box had also installed a non-slider hitch but did not set up the Reese Revolution Pin box to operate properly with my short bed truck. He did not remove the two bolts and insert the "Wedge". You guess it, it hit my cab. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT SOME OF THE DEALERS REALIZE HOW THE REESE REVOLUTION PIN WORKS. I DO NOT THINK MY DID. I am now trying to get the dealership to pay for the damages. This was my first 5th wheel and relied on the dealership to correctly set up the pin box and hitch. My mistake for sure.
Muskiebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskiebob View Post
The dealership that I purchased my 2012 Flagstaff with a Reese Revolution pin box had also installed a non-slider hitch but did not set up the Reese Revolution Pin box to operate properly with my short bed truck. He did not remove the two bolts and insert the "Wedge". You guess it, it hit my cab. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT SOME OF THE DEALERS REALIZE HOW THE REESE REVOLUTION PIN WORKS. I DO NOT THINK MY DID. I am now trying to get the dealership to pay for the damages. This was my first 5th wheel and relied on the dealership to correctly set up the pin box and hitch. My mistake for sure.

BUMMER

We'll have to make sure that doesn't happen to us. I wish you the best on getting reimbursed for the damages. While shopping for our RV, I was somewhat disappointed in some of the dealerships not knowing exactly what the options were available if you decided to have your rig built. Isn't that their job? IMHO.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskiebob View Post
This might be a dumb question, but didn't you notice that the hitch wasn't pivoting properly? One of the first things I did when hooking up to our new camper was drive it around the dealer's lot and check for clearances and such.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
This might be a dumb question, but didn't you notice that the hitch wasn't pivoting properly? One of the first things I did when hooking up to our new camper was drive it around the dealer's lot and check for clearances and such.
The hitch would work as a normal 5er hitch. Being new to a 5er, how would he know the pinbox was not supposed to swivel at the hitch, but 22" back at the trailer pivot?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #26

Bakken,
No, not really. Being new to a 5th wheel I relied on the dealership to make sure things were right. I did take a ride with the dealership after they installed the hitch on my short bed, demonstrated functions of the 5er and how to hitch- up the 5er. We went on the highway and did some turns in a parking lot. When I brought it home and was backing up into my driveway was when the 5er hit the cab of my truck. ($800.00) It did not damage the 5er. I thought that since the dealership should be the experts the install and that everything was"OK". I now have learned a lesson about being more informed. I had looked at the Forest River video on the Reese Revolution Pin box and thought this was a great pin box for a short bed. That is what I thought I had working for me. I did contact Forest River RV with a concern that some of THEIR DEALERSHIPS need to better informed about the what is now the standard pin box on the 2012 Rockwood and Flagstaff ultra lights, based on some of the post on this site and my experience. Again, I learned a lesson on being better informed as a new 5er. This forum has really helped me with other questions also. I just wanted to inform other that they may also need to make sure the DEALERSHIP INSTALLS THE WEDGE AND REMOVER THE RETAINER BOLTS for the Pin box to work properly. I also know of one incident that the bolts were removed, but the wedge not installed. Yes- it did hit the back of this guys truck, minutes after he pick it up from another dealership. That dealership did pay for the damages to his truck and new 5er.
Muskiebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #27

Muskie, one thing I have learned in life is to not trust anyone to do their job properly. I double check everything.
But yes, if they were riding around with you on the demo, they should have realised that it wasn't set up properly. Makes one wonder where they hire these people.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #28

I just picked up my first 5er. It's a '04 All American Sport. Does anyone know what type of pin box is on it? Standard or the Revolution I haven't had the hitch installed in my short bed truck yet so I'm in the trying to become informed stage. Any help is definately appreciated.
2004 36CKSS All American Sport Toyhauler
dfd630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #29

We picked up our new 5er about a month ago. The new Rockwoods come with the Reese Revolution installed, and it is labeled very prominantly as a "Reese Revolution" pin box.

We have a NEW standard bed GMC Sierra 2500HD, extended cab and a non-slider hitch installed in the bed. In the few trips we've taken, a slider has not been needed.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd630 View Post
I just picked up my first 5er. It's a '04 All American Sport. Does anyone know what type of pin box is on it? Standard or the Revolution I haven't had the hitch installed in my short bed truck yet so I'm in the trying to become informed stage. Any help is definately appreciated.
It would be kind of expensive, but my experience with the slider was it had too many loose joints that caused banging when stopping & starting, I would buy a std. NON sliding hitch and a Reese Revolution pin box. JMO.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd630 View Post
If it is a 2004 as stated I would think that you would have a standard pin box, I do not think that they came out with the revolution then. But maybe someone installed one after market. If you have a short bed you can still get by without the cost of a slider. When I owned a jayco standard pin box I think I used the slider once and that was because I did not plan on how I was going to back in to my spot first. You will still be able to turn at least 80 degrees without the slider. You will pay extra for it. There will be some slop as dunnnc said above. ......................
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel