Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #1

Need a 5th Wheel Hitch and very confused

We've ordered a Rockwood 8244WS from the factory, so the Reese Revolution will be installed on our unit.

We have a 6.5' bed truck. Rockwood/Flagstaff advertise that we won't need a slider due to the extension on the RV. Yet, the local RV dealers, where we would purchase and install the hitch, insist that we need to have a slider.

We also want to be able to use the bed of our truck for a bit of storage, so we are obviously concerned with the slider increasing the footprint size of the hitch.

Then there is the decision of a "jaw" or "bar" type of hitch. The "bar" hitch is quite a bit more reasonable; yet are there safety differences between the two.

Thanks for your help.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieadie View Post
We've ordered a Rockwood 8244WS from the factory, so the Reese Revolution will be installed on our unit.

We have a 6.5' bed truck. Rockwood/Flagstaff advertise that we won't need a slider due to the extension on the RV. Yet, the local RV dealers, where we would purchase and install the hitch, insist that we need to have a slider.

We also want to be able to use the bed of our truck for a bit of storage, so we are obviously concerned with the slider increasing the footprint size of the hitch.

Then there is the decision of a "jaw" or "bar" type of hitch. The "bar" hitch is quite a bit more reasonable; yet are there safety differences between the two.

Thanks for your help.
My dealer's tech said the same thing and I let him install the slider. Long story short, went back the next day and had a NON-Slider Reese 16K hitch installed. I now use a modified Undercover tonneau while towing and use the bed for storage. My profile has pictures of the tonneau cover. Too much banging at stops & starts with a slider plus the footprint and unless you get an automatic slider, you have to get out and release the hitch for it to slide. Forget one time, CRASH!
My suggestion, put in a regular hitch and make the dealer activate the Reese Revolution Sidewinder. You won't regret it.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #3

I have a 6'4" box in my Dodge Ram. I had a slider installed and have never used the sliding mechanism with the Reese Revolution hitch. A fixed hitch is all that's necessary.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #4

Years ago a slider was necessary on short bed trucks. Most of the newer fifth wheel front caps are designed to clear the back cab and the pin sticks out farther as well. I would go with the stationary hitch. If you have problems it's easy just to swap them out. But I doubt you'll have any problems.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

With the Reese Revolution pinbox, the pivot point is 22" behind the king pin therefore you wouldn't need a sliding hitch. Here's a link...

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...300&catID=7360 &part=0

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the advice regarding the slider. Does it matter about whether we get a "jaw" or "bar" hitch connector?

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieadie View Post
Thanks to all for the advice regarding the slider. Does it matter about whether we get a "jaw" or "bar" hitch connector?
The Reese 16K is a jaw which is what I have and it can be padlocked. I don't know which bar you are referring to, but from what has been posted here, some cannot be locked with a padlock.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Now a "Top Member"

I have a Curt 20K slider hitch. I've never "had" to use the slider. I have used it a couple of times just because I could (had to make sure it still worked!). But the other thing to keep in mind...peace of mind. You may not ever need it. But that one time you do, you'll be glad you had it. And I don't really think it takes up anymore of a footprint. Not from what I can see anyway. It is considerably heavier though if you have to remove it.
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #9

I have the Reese slider. I have taken the rig to a parking lot and turned it as tight and there was still plenty of clearance. This is the 2nd season that we have used it without any issues and never have needed to slide it I thought. Well about a month ago I noticed a small indent on my left side rear pillar. My daughter plays softball and my first thought was I got hit with a ball. Not. My drive way is a very steep hill that I back the rig up. It must have been just the right circumstances as I cut my turn to back up the hill and I think the corner hit. I still don't use the slider I just watch it more car fully as I cut to back up the driveway.
Wally
Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
I have the Reese slider. I have taken the rig to a parking lot and turned it as tight and there was still plenty of clearance.
I see you have a 2011...doesn't it have a Reese Revolution pinbox?

Did you hit the cab even with the Revolution pinbox?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel