Old 06-18-2019, 01:12 AM   #1

Need a new trailer with lower tongue weight

I recently bought a used travel trailer. I just had my whole rig weighed and ran in to problems. I weighed each axle sedately, with the trailer attached and empty. The truck was empty except for me. All the axles were under their rated limits except the rear truck axle which was 100lbs over the rated load. The TT had a number of upgrades including 6v batteries and a weight distributing anti-sway hitch (which distributes the weight better but adds to your total weight). My rear axle will be way over with a full load so I am thinking of selling the TT and buying a new one.

Does anyone have suggestions for a fully featured travel trailer with a tongue weight of about 3-400 pounds? Weight of the trailer doesn't seem to be an issue as my truck is rated to over 10000lbs towing. My payload is 1500lbs so a tongue weight of 400 pounds leaves me with 1100 pounds for driver, passenger, big dog, luggage, and additional weight in the trailer which I will easily use up. Driver/passengers/dog will be up to 600lb.

Any suggestions for fully featured travel trailers with a tongue weight of about 400 pounds? New or used, I will worry about cost later, my wife is in love with the one we have and doesn't want to sell it.

harpo-the-camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:36 AM   #2

My guess is you will be looking for a larger truck. Not many campers will come in with a tongue weight of 400lbs

2019 Sandpiper FLOK
Tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech740 View Post
My guess is you will be looking for a larger truck. Not many campers will come in with a tongue weight of 400lbs
I have thought about that, but I have seen several smaller trailers with a tongue weight of about 400lbs but I have never payed attention to their make or model. We will have to go with a smaller trailer, but I am looking for smaller trailers with as many options and amenities as they make, with about that tongue weight. I have an F150 with the most powerful engine they made for it, so my search should not be too hard. Suggestions appreciated.
harpo-the-camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:11 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo-the-camper View Post
I have thought about that, but I have seen several smaller trailers with a tongue weight of about 400lbs but I have never payed attention to their make or model. We will have to go with a smaller trailer, but I am looking for smaller trailers with as many options and amenities as they make, with about that tongue weight. I have an F150 with the most powerful engine they made for it, so my search should not be too hard. Suggestions appreciated.
are you talking about fantasy "dry" tongue weight numbers of 400lbs?
just cause your F150 has an Ecoboost, doesn't mean it has the payload capacity to tow a heavy tongue weight.
in fact, smaller single axle trailers will often have heavier tongue weights than larger tandem axle trailers.
i don't know of many small TTs with a lot of amenties and options, with bogus dry tongue weights of 400lbs.
plus you have to factor the weights of the WDH also.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:18 AM   #5

Need more information on what you are looking for. You don't give a type of floor plan you want. There are small trailers out there. Jayco 174BH for example is a single axle 17' bunkhouse. Published tongue weight of 280lbs. Pod campers are light also.
2019 Sandpiper FLOK
Tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:11 AM   #6

Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes
Frank & Cindy *** 2019 Rockwood Ultra Lite 5ver *** 2019 Ram Big Horn *** Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies *** TST-507 TPMS *** Furrion Observation Camera *** B&W 18K *** Michelin Defender LTX M/S LT265/60R20 E rated *** 3.92 axle *** Timber grove Air Assist Springs ASAM *** 10 days camped 2019 --- Rockwood FOR SALE --- https://www.forestriverclassifieds.c...ood-2898ks-325
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #7

I think as my Grandpa used to say you're trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.

I'd get a bigger truck.

I have a little experience here with this.. I could make the numbers work with my Escalade but it just wasn't worth it white-knuckling and wondering if I was doing serious damage. Numerous upgrades performed and I was still technically too close on the numbers to feel comfortable.

Even if you find a camper with an advertised tounge weight of around 3-400lbs by the time you get it loaded you're going to be over.

Plenty of trucks out there with higher numbers.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #8

Take a step back here and look at the whole picture. What's the tounge weight now? What are you putting in the truck besides people that are eating up your capacity. Luggage??? We put our clothes directly in the coach closets. No luggage.

I have similar vehicle specs. 3.5 EB and 1439 lbs. Don't forget, Ford identifies a driver at 150lbs, so you can add this to you calculation.
We have 4 people, 2 dogs and 600 lbs of tounge weight. I'm right at my limits with just a few things in the rear compartment of the SUV. Most everything goes in the trailer.

Rethink packing before you buy anything new.

Best of luck. Have Fun.
Ron
2017 Shamrock 23IKSS
2016 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, 4.10
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo-the-camper View Post
The TT had a number of upgrades including 6v batteries and a weight distributing anti-sway hitch (which distributes the weight better but adds to your total weight). My rear axle will be way over with a full load so I am thinking of selling the TT and buying a new one.
What trailer did you get? What's the tongue weight on your trailer, are you setting up the WDH correctly? The WDH should take some weight off the rear axle and put it back on the steer and trailer axles.
1953 GMC 9314
Lins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
llr

what are all the weights both with TT connected with WDH and the truck alone. You could still have options with the truck and TT

Tags
tongue weight, trailer, weight