Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
I disagree. I'm hauling TT with a UVW of 4500 with a 1 ton truck and couldn't be happier. When fully loaded with gear that stays in the camper and water, I’m close to my 3000lb cargo limit, but I never worry about overloading or overtasking my truck. I just got back from a turkey hunt and we pushed west in 40-50 mph winds. Sure, I was in third the whole way, but did just fine. Don’t think a half ton would have made it (no back-up data to prove that). My point is, get the biggest, most powerful truck you can afford to own and drive, not one that just barely hauls your rig and you’ll be smiling all the way to your destination and back. Happy camping.
Different things make people smile. I smile becuase my SUV will handle my 5000 lbs loaded camper just fine for where we camp. And when not towing, it gets decent mileage, considering it's V8 engine and 7000 lbs tow rating. I have about 1600 lbs cushion below my 12,000 lbs GCVWR. I can't imagine feeling the need to have another 2000 lbs of capacity, if it meant getting less gas mileage for the 95% of the time we drive (without the trailer).
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote