Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #1

Need a Tow Vehicle

I might be in the market for a new truck seeing as I just purchased a 21ss and have a Toyota Tacoma. I'm not sure this truck will be able to handle the weight especially up hill. Anyway, what do you guys think of the new RAM?? I am a little concerned about the coil springs in the back. Do you squat much when loaded and do you carry things in the bed also such as firewood and such? I was looking at an 06 2500 but the mpg is around 11 and the year is a little old. What mpg are you guys seeing combined city/hwy?? Any insight you could give me about the truck and how it handles for you as a daily driver would be great.. Thanks so much, Camping season is almost here!!!
redrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider13 View Post
I might be in the market for a new truck seeing as I just purchased a 21ss and have a Toyota Tacoma. I'm not sure this truck will be able to handle the weight especially up hill. Anyway, what do you guys think of the new RAM?? I am a little concerned about the coil springs in the back. Do you squat much when loaded and do you carry things in the bed also such as firewood and such? I was looking at an 06 2500 but the mpg is around 11 and the year is a little old. What mpg are you guys seeing combined city/hwy?? Any insight you could give me about the truck and how it handles for you as a daily driver would be great.. Thanks so much, Camping season is almost here!!!
I think it best to start Your own new thread as to tag onto this one .
You have questions some people may never see because its in this thread.

PM a mod and have them start you a new thread in towing.

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #3

3/4-ton truck is overkill for a 21SS. I'd be surprised if a 21SS hits 4500 lbs fully loaded. What's the tow rating and powertrain in the Taco?
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

The 21ss weight is 4300-4500 lbs dry and a gvw of 5600. I have always owned a lifted truck and like the height of the 2500 which are much higher than the new 1500s and the coil springs in the rear is what was leaning me to the 2500 hemi. Yes a 2500 is overkill for around 5000 pound hybrid. I have not decided and wanted input and mpg from new ram owners. The Tacoma is rated for 6500 with the towing package but is a 4.0 6cyl. I only tow the camper in the summer for vacations (3hrs away max) and occasionally a landscape trailer. I am lifted with firestone air bags in the rear and currently get around 16-18.5 city/hwy depending on fuel type(winter vs summer).
Old 04-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #5

I've got a 2011 Toyota Tacoma with the off road package and as you stated, it's good for 6500 lbs tow capacity. We have a Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite with a weight of around 4,000 lbs. We've pulled this trailer for about 15,000 miles and seen every kind of hill/mountain, from Canada to Florida. The Tacoma has never had a problem pulling this weight. I realize that you're a bit heavier, but I've seen people with bigger trailers than mine being pulled by a Tacoma. Just food for thought.
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #6

Mkillora Thanks for the reply. I previously had a shamrock hybrid that weighed about 4000 and the Tacoma pulled it fine but I knew it was back there. I am worried about the extra 1300 lbs I will be pulling and also the tongue weight on the Tacoma is rated for 650 and my trailer is at 580 DRY. I carry firewood and other camping stuff in the bed of the truck along with the wife, kid and dog in the cab.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Site Team

a lot depends on whether or not you plan to upgrade in the future.
you can't go wrong with the F150 Ecoboost.
any GM or Dodge v-8 truck/SUV will have the v-4 feature. my full size Avalanche has it and i often get 20mpg highway.
i tow a similar weight 23SS and i pull it through all kinds of mountains with no problems.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
DDC

Volkswagen Touareg TDI
Mercedes-Benz GL350 BlueTEC
BMW X5 xDrive35d
Porsche Cayenne

These all have great power and towing capacity, price is a little higher than a diesel pick-up but a lot more comfortable and a lot better on fuel consumption.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Volkswagen Touareg TDI
BMW X5 xDrive35d
Porsche Cayenne

These all have great power and towing capacity, price is a little higher than a diesel pick-up but a lot more comfortable and a lot better on fuel consumption.
+1. I use the diesel X5 for my sp220 and it works great with plenty if power and still reasonable fuel economy.
wickedwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #10

Considering you have a Tacoma why not look into a tundra with the 5.7. It would pull that camper very well. Something to think about.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider13 View Post
I would say your Taco is up to the task, but in my experience any lift almost always causes a decrease in payload. your airbags may make the difference.

I get the feeling you have the itch for something different and like the look and feel of the 3/4 ton trucks. Unless you plan to go diesel, your MPG numbers are going to hurt compared to your Taco.

I am also guessing the thought of a German SUV is far from your mind...

Couple suggestions:
an F-150 ecoboost with a small lift should hit the sweet spot for you lookswise, but still deliver some decent MPG. not as great as what you have now, but pretty close. A lifted Chevy or Dodge V8 will not get quite as good MPG, but I love the look of a lifted Ram 1500 on rockstars, just me. And I have not heard anything bad about towing with the new Ram and rear coil springs. Finally, you could get wild and go with the Raptor.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #12

Go as big as you can afford. We started with a wimpy Ford Exploder 4L w/ a Jayco Kiwi. Then moved up to a Nissan Titan and a FR GrayWolf 28bh. Titan could not handle the hills well so now we have 2008 Ford F350 Super Duty. Better to have too much than not enough. Keep Rollin'!
gsjp1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
3/4-ton truck is overkill for a 21SS. I'd be surprised if a 21SS hits 4500 lbs fully loaded. What's the tow rating and powertrain in the Taco?
I disagree. I'm hauling TT with a UVW of 4500 with a 1 ton truck and couldn't be happier. When fully loaded with gear that stays in the camper and water, I’m close to my 3000lb cargo limit, but I never worry about overloading or overtasking my truck. I just got back from a turkey hunt and we pushed west in 40-50 mph winds. Sure, I was in third the whole way, but did just fine. Don’t think a half ton would have made it (no back-up data to prove that). My point is, get the biggest, most powerful truck you can afford to own and drive, not one that just barely hauls your rig and you’ll be smiling all the way to your destination and back. Happy camping.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Volkswagen Touareg TDI
BMW X5 xDrive35d
Porsche Cayenne

Add Jeep Grand Cherokee. Reported 7800 tow capacity...
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
i don't think you've really looked at the 21SS's specs.

its fictional "dry" weight starts at 4267lbs. now add the weight of "options". my 23SS weighed 400lbs. over its "dry" weight with the standard "options.
so, now that 21SS weighs 4667lbs. before water, battery, propane and cargo.

my similar weight Roo 23SS weighs over 5000lbs. loaded for camping. and that's just the two of us.
i don't think the OP needs a 3/4 ton truck, unless they plan a future upgrade.
any 5.0 and above v-8 or the Ecoboost v-6 will be plenty to tow the 21SS.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #16

I had an antigua 215SSO close to 4700 #. I towed with a Ford F 150, 5.4 V8 and 3:73 gears. Towed from Michigan to Utah across the Rockies with no problem either going up or coming down. Averaged about 10 miles per gallon for the entire trip while towing.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #17

Thank you for all your input. I have had the diesel and am not looking to go that route again due to not towing often and the increase in fuel price as well as maintenance. I hate to get rid of my truck now which gets good gas mileage for what it is just to tow 4-5 times a year. A lot of people talk as if you are pulling the trailer 24/7 when in reality this is not the case. I am not looking to do world record speeds or anything just be able to tow a trailer safely. I am not looking to upgrade any time soon as I just ordered a 2013. If anything I will be adding to the family sometime but what's another couple pounds!!! Thank you for all the input and help. I will just have to wait and see how it tows and make a decision then. On another note I read someone got a 2014 on here. I am still waiting for mine from the factory. Any chance it could have a 2014 manufacture date even though its only April?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
Albuquerque, NM

Redrider - We have a 2011 Rockwood 2304 that we towed with a Dodge Dakota (V8 & factory tow package). It worked, but was getting too small for our needs, and the range was too limited with its 20 gallon tank. Last weekend we picked up our new tow vehicle - a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab. It is a very nice truck, which will suit all of our needs, as we don't intend to replace our camper anytime soon, either. With 1,600 miles of about 60/40 highway/city thus far, I'm averaging 16.5 mpg. I haven't towed with it yet, so can't give you a "towing mpg" report. I went with the air suspension, so the unit doesn't have coil springs & from all reports I've read on other forums, the air suspension leveling works like a charm.
2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Char_n_Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

A properly adjusted WDH should assist with rear squat. with a lift kit I think you are gonna be pushing the tacos weight limits. A half ton with a decent payload should do just fine for that trailer. Remember your tongue weight will be 13-15% of the loaded TT weight and not the dry tongue weight. in this case I would use the trailer gvwr to do the calculations since it has such a low cargo capacity, the means you are looking at a max tongue weight of approx 840 lbs.

As stated above the tundra or Ford ecoboost should handle that TT beautifully and probably have room for a little lift. That said, a lift can affect your towing stability so be cautious here. if upgrading the taco and thinking about starting a family, may I suggest you get a 4 door cab instead of an extended cab. Coming from experience it will be a lot easier for car seats and any needs for doing things in the back with kids. The ecoboost and the tundra will also give you room to upgrade to a bunkhouse down the road when said future kid needs it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i don't think you've really looked at the 21SS's specs.
Yes I have. But I'm having more "senior moments" since I passed 40, and apparantly my memory was off on this one. Thanks for setting me straight.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote