Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #21

Then either put a new motor in the truck you have or buy another 3/4 -1 ton.

No way that F-150 will handle that load well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:03 AM   #22

You are close to being overweight but within specs depending on the weight of the truck, passengers and cargo along with whatever you put in the trailer besides the RZR can't exceed 8305.

(GCWR) 17,100 - (dry weight) 6895 - (RZR) 1100 - (hitch) 800 = 8305 weight left over for truck, passengers, truck cargo, trailer cargo.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
You are close to being overweight but within specs depending on the weight of the truck, passengers and cargo along with whatever you put in the trailer besides the RZR can't exceed 8305.

(GCWR) 17,100 - (dry weight) 6895 - (RZR) 1100 - (hitch) 800 = 8305 weight left over for truck, passengers, truck cargo, trailer cargo.

Thanks for the advice. A regular cab 4x2 truck with 8 foot box weighs 4177. That is what I spec'd. That would leave about 4128 for other truck cargo ( which would mostly be passengers (450). That would leave over 3K for anything else I might carry. Even if the truck weighed 4500, I would still have 2500 or so for other cargo. I can see the point that the truck doesn't weigh enough. That would be my main concern. And it is why I value the advice of others. A regular cab 8 foot box 4x2 F250 weighs 5685. I agree that the extra weight would add stability to the configuration. The weights I quoted were from the specs published on the cars.com website. I kept my options to a minimum when doing the build/price on the Ford website, so I don't think the weights could be very much different from the ones on Cars.com for the standard sized models of truck. Besides, max tow and hdpp, I selected an appearance package and some pop up tie down hooks. I also chose the 101A convenience package, which I doubt will change the weight very much either. So, on paper at least, my margin wouldn't be too bad. Truck weight would be the main issue. This whole discussion is making me think. I have also spec'd an F250 XL and a Dodge Tradesman 2500 with 6.4 Hemi. Again, mainly to keep the costs down the trucks are lightly optioned. It's a lot to think about and I have quite a bit of time before I will need to make a decision. My son in law has a Ford f350 with a 6.0 diesel. I can use it a little if I need to.

Don Williams a.k.a. librarian
Librarianwhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:51 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post

This is talking towing capacity not payload. You will run out of payload long before you will run out of towing capacity.

I would take some time and go to the dealership and take a look at the yellow sticker in the door jamb on these trucks. It will give you real life numbers as you will not likely see the numbers published. It is kind of like the fictional dry weight of the trailer, not a number you will really ever see. I would borrow your son in laws truck to go get a few weights at a local cat scaleto help with numbers. Get a weight of truck with loaded trailer, A weight of truck with rzr in bed, and a weight of just truck. Now using a little math you can find out exact numbers you are dealing with. If you weigh the truck and trailer without wdh you can also find out exact tongue weight. Using these numbers you will know: true weight of RZR, true loaded weight of trailer and true tongue weight of trailer. Now you can use these numbers with actual payload numbers (from the dealers lot) on the models of trucks you are looking at and not brochure numbers. This will help you make a better educated decision.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle