Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #1

Need advice on sway bar setup and brake controller

Hey all, looking for some quick advice. I have a brand new 23ss Roo being delivered to my dealer in a few days. I drive a 2007 Nissan Frontier but never used a swaybar setup or a brake controller.

Can you guy please advice me on the good and the bad on all the different brands. What would you recommend. They both have soo many brands and types i just don't know what is the best ones.

Thanks so much all

Jeff

Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

For pulling that trailer with a mid sized truck, you should have a WDH with integrated sway control. Equal-i-zer 4 pt., Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, and Blue Ox Sway Pro are some of the top names, and many people here also like the Anderson Hitch.

A proportional brake controller like the Teknosha P2 or P3 would work.

Make sure your truck is up to the task. It should have the factory tow package. Make sure you will be under the maximum tow rating, and also under the hitch rating.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
For pulling that trailer with a mid sized truck, you should have a WDH with integrated sway control. Equal-i-zer 4 pt., Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, and Blue Ox Sway Pro are some of the top names, and many people here also like the Anderson Hitch.

A proportional brake controller like the Teknosha P2 or P3 would work.

Make sure your truck is up to the task. It should have the factory tow package. Make sure you will be under the maximum tow rating, and also under the hitch rating.
mtnguy is right about you probably needing a WDH, I would recommend both WDH and sway control. You will get a lot of opinions on which hitch setup is best.

Brake controller, I have the Teknosha P2 and love it...

Welcome to the forum...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

wow thanks for the quick responses guys. is this the type you are recommending?
"Weight Distributing Hitch's will improve your trailer sway, weight distribution, and lower stress for trailer safety, Equalizer weight distributing hitch."

I know there are some with Chains and some with the solid bar which is the better type?

I am going to research the brake controllers you mentioned now.

Thanks so much

Jeff
Old 09-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #5

I've been happy with my Equal-i-zer hitch which provides weight distribution and anti-sway. The solid bar hitch works well.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #6

I have a 2011 Nissan Frontier SV King Cab 4x4 and my towing capacity is only 6300 lbs., with a maximum frontal area for the towed vehicle of 60 sq.ft. Your new Roo 23SS has a GVWR of 6310 lbs. with a frontal area of 64 sq.ft. Based on my towing experience in the mountains with my 4777 lb. GVWR Mini Lite 2109S, I would say you may have a very hard time towing your Roo with your Frontier up any kind of grade. Normally you would size your trailer at no more than 75-80% of your truck's towing capacity.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

first, let me recommend the Equalizer. i use one with my Roo 23SS and i love it and it's pretty easy to setup and maintain.
prefer the bars to the chain-type WDHs.
and highly recommend any of the Prodigy controllers, love mine and it's easy to use.

but i have to agree with fanrgs, you're not going to like towing the 23SS with a v-6 mid-size truck.
when i was shopping for a new tow vehicle to tow the hybrid we were going to buy, i originally wanted a Tacoma, Frontier or Ridgeline.
when we chose the 23SS, i quickly learned from other 23SS owners that had v-6 tow vehicles, that they quickly upgraded to a v-8 tow vehicle.
so i bought a Chevy Avalanche and it's a perfect tow combo. it has the wheelbase and power to handle the 23SS easily.

if you live in Florida or Kansas, where there aren't hills and mountains, you can probably get by. but it'll be a different story in the mountains.

i foresee you changing tow vehicles down the road.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

And then a change of tow vehicle, usually means a change of traailer. It's a vicious cycle.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #9

I use the Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, no problem installing or setting it up. You can really check out your brake controller when you have a blow out on your truck going down the interstate. Everything worked as it should in an emergency situation.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #10

WOW you guys have my head spinning now I knew I was running close to my limit but now you got me a bit scared... The only reason why we went with the Hybrids was becase of the size of my truck... My wife loves this camper too... but I can't buy a new truck right now..

Will the best of best WDH and sway controll allow this match to happen???

So what are my other camper options besided a popup which I now have for a family of 4...

Thanks so much guys this imput it means alot and I don't want to put my family in any danger while towing..

Jeff

Tags
brake control, brakes