Old 07-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #11

No way i would travel w/o one. Once you understand the physics of what it does, you wouldn't either,

Old 07-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I would NEVER tow a full height TT, with a short wheelbase vehicle like the Highlander or FJ, without a good WDH with sway control.

Your dealer is an Idiot.
You're pulling a 8'x10' sail through the air.
What he said.

You can see what I have in my signature. A big truck with a very long wheelbase. I always use my WD hitch. I did travel from Atlanta down to Valdosta without the sway bar in place and did notice a difference. So now, I always use the springs and the sway bar. I need all the help I can get pulling a big sail down the highway.

TV 2013 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab
Middleburg Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #13

3400 loaded camper, times 12.5% = about 425 lbs loaded TW.
Most trucks require a WDH when TW exceeds 500 lbs. A lighter-duty vehicle like yours might require it at lower TW. Check your owner's manual.

If you can before your trip, I would also recommend getting a WDH. The 600lbs-rated 4-pt Equal-I-zer would be perfect. If will get lost weight back onto the front wheels for optimum handling.

But at a minimum, if you are pleased with the way the rig tows so far, you should definitely have at least a stand-alone friction sway controller. Any hitch shop can set you up easily, probably less than $200 installed.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #14

Andersen sized for your rig... its light, simple and works. I have their heaviest one; pulling almost 10k# and it is great.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/catal...ion-hitch.aspx

WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #15

I upgraded from a 14' Trailrunner to a Clipper 17bh, towing with a 4Runner. I never had any issues with the smaller trailer but after a terrifying first drive home with the Clipper, I got a sway control/wdh. It makes a world of difference!
And if they told you you also don't need a brake controller, you do
Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #16

If you want to get a full understanding of what is going on, I suggest you do a search for a study done in England about Trailer Snaking (that's what they call trailer sway - the oscillation you are feeling when passed by a semi) -
THE DYNAMICS OF TOWED VEHICLES
An experimental study into caravan snaking
Christopher J Killer

This study is very involved and has lots of math. However, skimming thru will get you to easily understandable conclusions.

Also, check out a number of RV forums. IRV2, Airstream. etc. There is a wealth of information on just about every hitch available. Note that most people are adamant supporters of what they own...
I will agree that doing something to control sway is a good thing. What you invest in will depend on:
How much risk you will accept
How much you are willing to spend to control the risk.

I have made my decision on what I will be using, send me a PM if you want my decision and reasoning.
YMMV
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #17

For a simple, inexpensive hitch I really like the Fastway E2 series. Make sure you get the right bars for your tongue weight. It's under $300 shipped and has the receiver included. No drilling, hooks up quick and easy, will back up and turn sharp, does make some noise when turning sharp.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
For a simple, inexpensive hitch I really like the Fastway E2 series. Make sure you get the right bars for your tongue weight. It's under $300 shipped and has the receiver included. No drilling, hooks up quick and easy, will back up and turn sharp, does make some noise when turning sharp.

A quick search of Craigslist or other ads may come up with a deal. One of these days I'll put an Equalizer 4 point with sway control on CL for around $325. Everyone has their preference.....
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I highly recommend you add the WDH and sway bar. You don't have to use it for short trips if you're ok without it, but it would help relieve "some" of the sway "suck."
Absolutely. Many of these guys are all up on high end hitches $400 to $800 and most dealerswill up sell you at way higher prices. But even for our 10,000 you box I went to E Trailer.com and paid $249 for an EZlift Delete knock off bearing the Curt brand name and it works great. Read the instructions and install it yourself. I modified the chain hanger bracket for better clearances from my two big 6 volt battery boxes and bingo. Really makes a difference when the big trucks wiz by. You still have to steer away from being sucked into them but handling with the friction sway bar is much better.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I'll add #6 ~~~ tires. If running P rated tires eliminate them and go to an LT tire.
Thank You Capt. Cant believe I missed that.

Nights camped 2017..... not enough
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, weight