Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #1

Need for Weight Distribution, Sway Control?

Hi. I am towing a Viking 17FQ, dry weight about 2800 lbs., loaded 3400 lbs. My tow vehicle is a 2016 Toyota Highlander with tow package and a 5000 lb. towing capacity. This is my first travel trailer having previously towed an Aliner pop up. We have taken the camper from IL to FL and now plan a trip over the Rockies to Zion National Park.

So far the Highlander seems adequately powered to tow the camper, but I find myself being "sucked in" to semis as they pass. Granted I am relatively inexperienced towing a TT with much more wind resistance than my pop up.

When purchased the camper dealer said that I didn't need any load leveling or sway control. I am now considering adding those elements. What is your opinion and if I should what should I get? I haven't really felt much sway, but the "sucking in" make both me and my spouse nervous. All opinions will be appreciated.
bobandroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Site Team

I highly recommend you add the WDH and sway bar. You don't have to use it for short trips if you're ok without it, but it would help relieve "some" of the sway "suck."

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #3

We have a very similar setup; FJ Cruiser towing a Vibe 6501. The Vibe came with a Blue Ox WDH and it works well, however, the "suck in" you are experiencing is still present. The side blast off large vehicles first pushes the rear of the TT to the right (the wheels/axle is the pivot point) and then as they pass the blast pushes the front of the TT. It feels like the TV wants to veer right, then left into the semi. The faster the other vehicle is moving, the more severe the effect.
Even with the WDH, things feel a bit squirrelly over 65 mph. For us it can be a reason to avoid 70+ mph interstate highways.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #4

In addition, I'd take anything else that dealer said with a grain of salt.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:55 PM   #5
Site Team

I would NEVER tow a full height TT, with a short wheelbase vehicle like the Highlander or FJ, without a good WDH with sway control.

Your dealer is an Idiot.
You're pulling a 8'x10' sail through the air.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #6

A WDH will NOT eliminate the effects of winds, drafts and such, BUT it will greatly reduce effects you feel.
As pjnlorrie said, as the camper tries to swing on the hitch like a pendulum, the force transferred, pivoting on the TV rear axles, tries to push the front of the TV in the opposite direction.
Several factors can combine to make this worse...
1 A shorter wheel base or lighter TV is effected more
2 Lighter style suspension systems
3 Heavier trailer and or tongue weight will increase the effect
4 Your steering input reaction. (chasing the front end...Bad)
5 Braking during a sway event (major problems)

All 5 added together in a bad way and you may end up like my Grandparents .....hanging upside down along side the interstate. (funny now as no injury)
Adding a WDH (I highly recommend a dual cam set up) Will decrease the pendulum effect, and by transferring forces to front end off the rear axle, give a more controlled handling feeling
Number wise you don't look bad, but your close to 75% of your TV capacity without mention of what you have in the truck.

My personal opinion a dual cam WDH would be a very good investment for both comfort and safety.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #7

If anyone ever told me I didn't need sway control, I'd look at them like they were nuts and buy it anyway. My uncle's family also ended up upside down in the side of an interstate in Florida after a semi passed them. No sway control, no injuries, TT totaled.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #8

like others have said, sway control and WDH might make for a more comfortable tow.

The other thing I have learned is to edge to the far side of my lane when a semi passes. (staying safe of course, especially if you are in a middle lane)
The more of a gap you can keep between you and the truck, the less the effect of the low pressure sucking you in.

Its also good to be prepared for it happening so you can slightly countersteer.
mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
Sham183

Buy the WDH. If you have to question it then you most likely need it. You have a smaller TV but it is more than capable of handling this Trailer. You are well within your tow limits to. Yes it's extra money but think of it this way, if you have a accident or cause one how much would that cost? I know that a WDH will not prevent something from occurring but it can help reduce it. One less thing out of the mix is easier to work with and less stress. Keep in mind also most interstates and hwys are 65-75 and having a semi pass you at those speeds even without a trailer can make you realize how much wind and force semis have. Ok I rambled on enough sorry for that. Just do it and if you ever upgrade you will already have a possible set up.

Good luck
Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetavon View Post
A WDH will NOT eliminate the effects of winds, drafts and such, BUT it will greatly reduce effects you feel.
As pjnlorrie said, as the camper tries to swing on the hitch like a pendulum, the force transferred, pivoting on the TV rear axles, tries to push the front of the TV in the opposite direction.
Several factors can combine to make this worse...
1 A shorter wheel base or lighter TV is effected more
2 Lighter style suspension systems
3 Heavier trailer and or tongue weight will increase the effect
4 Your steering input reaction. (chasing the front end...Bad)
5 Braking during a sway event (major problems)

All 5 added together in a bad way and you may end up like my Grandparents .....hanging upside down along side the interstate. (funny now as no injury)
Adding a WDH (I highly recommend a dual cam set up) Will decrease the pendulum effect, and by transferring forces to front end off the rear axle, give a more controlled handling feeling
Number wise you don't look bad, but your close to 75% of your TV capacity without mention of what you have in the truck.

My personal opinion a dual cam WDH would be a very good investment for both comfort and safety.
I'll add #6 ~~~ tires. If running P rated tires eliminate them and go to an LT tire. If not running the tires at max rated air pressure that can also help. Your rig would not bother me to pull at all but I'd be sure to have LT tires and an Equalizer 4 point hitch with sway control.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #11

No way i would travel w/o one. Once you understand the physics of what it does, you wouldn't either,
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I would NEVER tow a full height TT, with a short wheelbase vehicle like the Highlander or FJ, without a good WDH with sway control.

Your dealer is an Idiot.
You're pulling a 8'x10' sail through the air.
What he said.

You can see what I have in my signature. A big truck with a very long wheelbase. I always use my WD hitch. I did travel from Atlanta down to Valdosta without the sway bar in place and did notice a difference. So now, I always use the springs and the sway bar. I need all the help I can get pulling a big sail down the highway.
TV 2013 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab
Middleburg Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #13

3400 loaded camper, times 12.5% = about 425 lbs loaded TW.
Most trucks require a WDH when TW exceeds 500 lbs. A lighter-duty vehicle like yours might require it at lower TW. Check your owner's manual.

If you can before your trip, I would also recommend getting a WDH. The 600lbs-rated 4-pt Equal-I-zer would be perfect. If will get lost weight back onto the front wheels for optimum handling.

But at a minimum, if you are pleased with the way the rig tows so far, you should definitely have at least a stand-alone friction sway controller. Any hitch shop can set you up easily, probably less than $200 installed.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #14

Andersen sized for your rig... its light, simple and works. I have their heaviest one; pulling almost 10k# and it is great.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/catal...ion-hitch.aspx

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #15

I upgraded from a 14' Trailrunner to a Clipper 17bh, towing with a 4Runner. I never had any issues with the smaller trailer but after a terrifying first drive home with the Clipper, I got a sway control/wdh. It makes a world of difference!
And if they told you you also don't need a brake controller, you do
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #16

If you want to get a full understanding of what is going on, I suggest you do a search for a study done in England about Trailer Snaking (that's what they call trailer sway - the oscillation you are feeling when passed by a semi) -
THE DYNAMICS OF TOWED VEHICLES
An experimental study into caravan snaking
Christopher J Killer

This study is very involved and has lots of math. However, skimming thru will get you to easily understandable conclusions.

Also, check out a number of RV forums. IRV2, Airstream. etc. There is a wealth of information on just about every hitch available. Note that most people are adamant supporters of what they own...
I will agree that doing something to control sway is a good thing. What you invest in will depend on:
How much risk you will accept
How much you are willing to spend to control the risk.

I have made my decision on what I will be using, send me a PM if you want my decision and reasoning.
YMMV
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #17

For a simple, inexpensive hitch I really like the Fastway E2 series. Make sure you get the right bars for your tongue weight. It's under $300 shipped and has the receiver included. No drilling, hooks up quick and easy, will back up and turn sharp, does make some noise when turning sharp.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
For a simple, inexpensive hitch I really like the Fastway E2 series. Make sure you get the right bars for your tongue weight. It's under $300 shipped and has the receiver included. No drilling, hooks up quick and easy, will back up and turn sharp, does make some noise when turning sharp.

A quick search of Craigslist or other ads may come up with a deal. One of these days I'll put an Equalizer 4 point with sway control on CL for around $325. Everyone has their preference.....
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I highly recommend you add the WDH and sway bar. You don't have to use it for short trips if you're ok without it, but it would help relieve "some" of the sway "suck."
Absolutely. Many of these guys are all up on high end hitches $400 to $800 and most dealerswill up sell you at way higher prices. But even for our 10,000 you box I went to E Trailer.com and paid $249 for an EZlift Delete knock off bearing the Curt brand name and it works great. Read the instructions and install it yourself. I modified the chain hanger bracket for better clearances from my two big 6 volt battery boxes and bingo. Really makes a difference when the big trucks wiz by. You still have to steer away from being sucked into them but handling with the friction sway bar is much better.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I'll add #6 ~~~ tires. If running P rated tires eliminate them and go to an LT tire.
Thank You Capt. Cant believe I missed that.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, weight