Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #41
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by steepgrade View Post
Jammer3025, Yes, it's a 2014 2500 4x4 6.7L cummins diesel.
It's an awesome truck! Congrats to you too
Great purchase...Once you go diesel, you'll never want to tow any other way! ENJOY!
__________________

__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Great purchase...Once you go diesel, you'll never want to tow any other way! ENJOY!
I tow with an Ecoboost now after having a 7.3 and a 6.7 PSD. I love the EB. No way I'd try pulling what I do with a NA V8, though. The 6.7 clearly pulled better, but was NOT happy putting around town and doing the short 3-5 mile drives that I do for the majority of my driving.
__________________

__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #43
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL
 
CLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 316
The new 2015 Expedition is going to be Ecoboost. Can't wait!
__________________
NO TV!!! NOW WHAT???
2014 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS
CLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
BuckeyeChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
our F250 SuperDuty only has the 5.0 L -- what a DOG! Can't pull up hill unless the engine is reving at 4K + and the semi's are passing me. 9 mpg and I still have to open the driver's door and push with my foot!

First and last Ford truck I'll ever own.
Any brand of truck with that small of an engine will suck at towing not just Ford. Dont blame Ford for a poor choice of engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Steelframer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 211
It's not the truck that's the dog, it's the engine size. Not beating you up at all, I pull our 274 dbh with a jeep commander 5.7 that revs up to 4g also on steep hills and gets 9miles per G pulling through the bluffs of WI/Minn. That's what I have, That's what I can afford. No worries to the weight police, I'm under weight, and I've been a professional driver for eons.
__________________
Steelframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
BuckeyeChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
You're doing about average. My uncle in the UK towed a 5400-pound travel-trailer behind a 1.5 liter, 55 horse-power Austin sedan all over Europe for over 25 years. He got about 14 miles per Imperial gallon, which was about 1/3rd of what it got without the TT on the hitch.

Can you imagine what the weight police on the various forums would make of his exploits? The only time I saw anything even more improbable was when I was still in my teens. The family (Mom, Dad and three kids, including me) went "caravanning", towing a 23' Eccles TT behind our 1938 Austin 12 (1.6L L-head 4-banger, 40 horse-power on a good day). We were at a campground near Southampton (South coast of England, about in the middle) when a young couple pulled in. They were towing a 36' house trailer behind a 1949 L-head Morris Minor, which might have had 25 HP on its best day.

Turned out, he'd been laid off from a job on the north coast of Scotland and had landed a job in Southampton. The house trailer was their home and the Morris was their only vehicle, so they'd just hitched it up and hit the road.

He said they'd had to turn back a half-dozen times and find a route with easier grades, but they had made it all the way (over 400 miles) with no mishaps. When I hear folks ranting on about idiots in the US towing these "monster" 30' TTs behind puny little 6.8-liter V-10 pickups, I have to smile a bit.

FYI, my '03 Kia Sedona minivan is rated in the US for a 3500 pound max tow weight. The identical vehicle in the UK, with the same 4-speed automatic transmission and the same 3.5-L gasoline V-6 is rated to tow 3000 Kg (6600 pounds!) Can anyone explain the difference?
LOVE IT!!! Some people need a F350 Powerstroke Diesel to pull a 10 ft. Pop up.
__________________

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
You're doing about average. My uncle in the UK towed a 5400-pound travel-trailer behind a 1.5 liter, 55 horse-power Austin sedan all over Europe for over 25 years. He got about 14 miles per Imperial gallon, which was about 1/3rd of what it got without the TT on the hitch.

Can you imagine what the weight police on the various forums would make of his exploits? The only time I saw anything even more improbable was when I was still in my teens. The family (Mom, Dad and three kids, including me) went "caravanning", towing a 23' Eccles TT behind our 1938 Austin 12 (1.6L L-head 4-banger, 40 horse-power on a good day). We were at a campground near Southampton (South coast of England, about in the middle) when a young couple pulled in. They were towing a 36' house trailer behind a 1949 L-head Morris Minor, which might have had 25 HP on its best day.

Turned out, he'd been laid off from a job on the north coast of Scotland and had landed a job in Southampton. The house trailer was their home and the Morris was their only vehicle, so they'd just hitched it up and hit the road.
,
He said they'd had to turn back a half-dozen times and find a route with easier grades, but they had made it all the way (over 400 miles) with no mishaps. When I hear folks ranting on about idiots in the US towing these "monster" 30' TTs behind puny little 6.8-liter V-10 pickups, I have to smile a bit.

FYI, my '03 Kia Sedona minivan is rated in the US for a 3500 pound max tow weight. The identical vehicle in the UK, with the same 4-speed automatic transmission and the same 3.5-L gasoline V-6 is rated to tow 3000 Kg (6600 pounds!) Can anyone explain the difference?
This post was so refreshing for me. Im towing a 26' with a Tacoma. Im within all the weight limits, but I get treated like a mass murderer who is going to kill his family along with everyone else on the road around me, on all the forums. It made me so paranoid I was afraid to hitch up the first few weeks after purchasing my TT.
__________________
zackbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #48
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackbo View Post
This post was so refreshing for me. Im towing a 26' with a Tacoma. Im within all the weight limits, but I get treated like a mass murderer who is going to kill his family along with everyone else on the road around me, on all the forums. It made me so paranoid I was afraid to hitch up the first few weeks after purchasing my TT.
No surprise, the wt police believe if you tow anything over 20' you need at least a 1T or 1.5T and anything over 28' you need a Peterbilt, Mack or Kenworth otherwise you will injure everyone, be a hazard on the highways and be liable for lawsuits out the yingyang.
__________________
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
BuckeyeChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
No surprise, the wt police believe if you tow anything over 20' you need at least a 1T or 1.5T and anything over 28' you need a Peterbilt, Mack or Kenworth otherwise you will injure everyone, be a hazard on the highways and be liable for lawsuits out the yingyang.
Amen, brother!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #50
Anacortesians
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 1,167
Zackbo:

Glad you liked my story. My Aunt and Uncle were avid TT users. They belonged to the "Caravan Club" in the UK (caravan being the term for travel trailers over there) and were out almost every weekend to a rally somewhere in the UK. Uncle finlly got fed up of the performance on the 55HP Austin and went really wild and got a 2-liter, 90 HP TV! They went all over Europe with both TVs, towing a fairly heavy 18' TT and they loved it. Sure, it was a bit slow in the Alps, but they got there!

My current family car is a Kia Sedona, 3.5L V-6. It's limited in the US to a max tow weight of 3500 pounds. In the UK (and I think in Europe), it's rated to tow 3000 Kg (6600 pounds).

Most serious TT folks in the UK tow with Land Rovers and Range Rovers. I remember going to rallies with my Uncle's family and seeing the old 2-liter short-wheelbase Land Rovers towing 28-foot TTs (not very quickly, I must admit).

On one occasion, we were on vacation near Southampton when a family pulled in, towing a 32' park-model trailer behind a 1950 Morris Minor. The trailer was their family home and the Dad has been laid off from a job on the north coast of Scotland and had landed a job near Southampton.

The Morris was their only car, so they'd rigged a towing bracket and moved the mobile home close to 600 miles. That old car had an L-head 950cc engine which probably put out 30 horsepower on a good day. It's hard to imagine the trials they suffered.

I think there's some sort of conspiracy in the US to con TT owners into running much too thirsty vehicles to tow their trailers.
__________________

__________________
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
23fb, f150

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.