Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #21

I read the SAE article in question - did you? It mentions many things to be considered for tow rating - but no mention of WB vs trailer length or any mention of either. There is mention of other things - starting and stopping ability, corning ability - which is I suppose most of what is being talked about here in a roundabout way.

Folks have been towing long trailers for a long time -and we didn't have 140" wb vehicles to do it with and if it was all that dangerous there'd be some law to protect us from ourselves.

I'm not denying a big 1T dually TV isn't a better TV than a 1/2 ton SB or explorer. But it's also relative - if'n I was going to pull said trailer thousands of miles or every weekend I'd be looking for a larger, more robust TV for comfort, longevity and such. If I intended to pull it 75mph every day all day in all weather vs 50mph 4 times a year (when I can pick at least 2 of those days' weather) I might be swayed more toward a bigger badder vehicle.

It's not so much the TV and TT as the driver - a few years ago I saw an excursion flipped in the median with an open top uhaul trailer along side - the TV easily outweigh and out-lengthened the TT but it didn't stop something from going awry.

It's not so much my mind is made up is that I've never heard this WB thing before today. Why not?

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #22

You keep saying Explorer. Are you really talking about an explorer or do you mean expedition? I have a 29' surveyor and I tow it with a chevy tahoe. I wish I had a 3/4 ton but the tahoe does ok with it and I think it is pretty safe. I try to keep it at 65 mph and below on the interstate because anything over that and you get some sway when semis pass. I compare the tahoe and expedition to a 1/2 ton truck (with a little shorter wheel base) but when you say explorer I compare that to a Ford Ranger. A ranger or an explorer is going to run a 6 cylinder engine which will struggle to get a 28' rv going and will have a very hard time maintaining a constant speed. Not to mention the wear and tear on the engine and the transmition. I agree with the others on the wheel base and stability issues but when you start talking about the money issue then I think you will be out of a tow vehicle in a short period of time because I believe that you will blow that little engine and transmision up in a short period of time. Its each to his own but since you asked for our opinion then I think an explorer is crazy for a 28' rv. I'm hoping your really talking about an expedition and in that case I say go for it just take it slow and easy.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
It's not so much my mind is made up is that I've never heard this WB thing before today. Why not?
Have you asked this same question on a towing forum before today? My guess is no, which is why you have never heard anything on the WB before. You ask the questions, you get the answers, whether you like it or not.

If you didnt' want the truth, shouldn't have asked the questions.

And the tow rating standard has to do with WEIGHT, not LENGTH!

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #24

explorer - they come in V8s with 3.73 gears and weigh 4500-4800 lbs. A good big lighter than a tahoe (1000-1200 lbs less) but only 4 inch less WB.

Cost comes in many ways - appears to me for a given condition/age an explorer is 3 to 5 thousand less than a similar expedition/suburban/tahoe.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post

And the tow rating standard has to do with WEIGHT, not LENGTH!
well if length is that big a factor -safety wise- why are they not considering it then?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #26

Oh ok. Well I like my extra 1000-1200 pounds and wish I had a little bit more. I don't know but it just seems like to much trailer for an explorer. Out of the options you gave I would lean more toward the 1/2 ton suv's or a full size van. I mean look at it like this, Dodge makes a Dakota with a V8 but they also still make the ram because it's a physically bigger truck. I think the same concept would apply to the explorer. I don't have all of the answers and don't have time to look through all of the specs but something just clicks in a bad way in my head when I think of an explorer pulling a 28' trailer. Maybe i'm wrong but I think you will not be happy with your choice if you buy an explorer.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake2727 View Post
Oh ok. Well I like my extra 1000-1200 pounds and wish I had a little bit more. I don't know but it just seems like to much trailer for an explorer. Out of the options you gave I would lean more toward the 1/2 ton suv's or a full size van. I mean look at it like this, Dodge makes a Dakota with a V8 but they also still make the ram because it's a physically bigger truck. I think the same concept would apply to the explorer. I don't have all of the answers and don't have time to look through all of the specs but something just clicks in a bad way in my head when I think of an explorer pulling a 28' trailer. Maybe i'm wrong but I think you will not be happy with your choice if you buy an explorer.
I tend to agree -but explorers are bigger/heavier than you'd think. I use to own a 79 lincoln continental -the last of the big all steel monster cars. 400 v8, 19 some feet long - but only (ok, 'only') 4800lbs. An explorer is physically smaller but just as heavy.

I guess I'll have to go and drive some of the vehicles in question. I talked a bit with a customer of mine today - he's a farmer and hauls big loads (he's got his currently diesel dually rig registered at 26600 GCVW) and often pulls a flatbed trailer (30', 6000lb empty) with a 10,000 pound load on it (his competition pulling tractor), as well as loads of hay, steers, and the like. He's used other trucks in the past, including a short wheel base pu (not with this trailer load of course). His only comments where there are times the trailer will push (bends on the hiway) and he's noticed the longer the wb and dually helps in how it feels. But he also says for as much as i'll be towing it some prudent use of speed I should be just fine. His bigger concern is the load (total weight) on the TV and wear and tear.

I was hoping for some answers that weren't all the 'kid you'll put your eye out' sorta thing. Some say 'half ton towable' - well, the explorer can carry 1500 lbs - more than 1/2 ton...many of the supercab F150's only carry 100 or 200 more payload... I'll do more research and take all the info here into account before making a final decision.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #28

If you want to play, you have to pay.
Explorer class of vehicles is way too small and light for any traler with a GVWR of over about 6000 pounds. The Suburban class is a much more capable tow vehicle. But do not even consider a 1500 model. Most of it's capacity is taken up with the body weight. The 2500 will get you much more capable motor and a real 3/4 ton underpinnings. If you are not willing to get at least a 2500 Suburban, do yourself a big favor. Sell the trailer and go back to what you had.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
well if length is that big a factor -safety wise- why are they not considering it then?
Because manufacturers don't have recommended tow lengths. They only have tow weights. The engine, drivetrain, brakes, frame, tires, etc. are the limiting factor for weight.

Length is a whole nother ball of wax. A 30' utility trailer would be much safer to tow (length wise) than a 28' travel trailer due to the wind catching the TT. This can't really be accounted for in the standards, so you rely on things like recommendations from experienced trailer towers and general rules of thumb like you have been given.

You can't have ratings for everything...sometimes you have to use common sense and take the advice of others "in the know".

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #30

Prof fate your going to get what you think best for your TV. I have pulled a 29' TT coast to coast with a F-350 PS crew cab & there have been times in high wind or when the 18 wheeler come by 100 mile an hour. I was glad to be in the F-350. Some may say over kill , but it save my butt a few times. Wheel base it a biggie as posted for me.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Just went to Ford owner's manuals, and checked a 2004 EXPLORER with 3.73 gears and a 4.6L V-8 engine. Max Tow with a class III hitch is 7000 pounds. Most come with a class II hitch, so that will have to be changed. That is the vehicle, no options, full fuel, and 180 pound driver, and that is all!!!!!. No wife, no dog, no children, nothing else. I thought it would say something about MAX trailer frontal area, a lot of them do, but I didn't find it, and won't spend any more time looking. What some of us are trying to do is keep you safe while towing. What the rest are trying to do is keep themselves safe in case they/we have to share the same road with you someday. As has been said, you asked, and were answered, by those that have been there, done that, and have a "T" shirt to prove it. The ones that didn't answer may well be in a graveyard somewhere.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #32

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Just went to Ford owner's manuals, and checked a 2004 EXPLORER with 3.73 gears and a 4.6L V-8 engine. Max Tow with a class III hitch is 7000 pounds. Most come with a class II hitch, so that will have to be changed. That is the vehicle, no options, full fuel, and 180 pound driver, and that is all!!!!!. No wife, no dog, no children, nothing else. I thought it would say something about MAX trailer frontal area, a lot of them do, but I didn't find it, and won't spend any more time looking. What some of us are trying to do is keep you safe while towing. What the rest are trying to do is keep themselves safe in case they/we have to share the same road with you someday. As has been said, you asked, and were answered, by those that have been there, done that, and have a "T" shirt to prove it. The ones that didn't answer may well be in a graveyard somewhere.
and that pretty much sums it up. +1 to you sir!
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #33

Seems to me like you've already decided you're getting and explorer and you're looking for someone to connfirm your decision.

I don't think you're going to get it....

I will throw out my tow combination:

1998 GMC K2500 (3/4 tonne 4x4) 6.5 TD, 155.5" Wb, and it's the heaviest 3/4 tonne made that year (8600 GVWR). The trailer is a 2011 flagstaff 831RLBSS, dry weight 6400 lbs, gvwr 8500 lbs and I'm usually around 7500 lbs ready to camp. I use a Husky Centerline WD hitch with "active" sway control built in.

Tows it fine, less of a truck would have real trouble with it. 1/2 tonne wouldn't stand a chance. Just for reference, the dealer had one of those "1/2 ton towable" stickers plastered over the front of it when it was sitting on the lot. Yeah, riiiiight......

Take from that what you will.....

From most of the recommnedations so far, I would say find (or rent) yourself a dedicated tow vehicle you can use the few times a year you will need it and get a seperate vehicle for your day to day use.

Not ideal, but seems like the best compromise to me.

Cheers

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #34
CampeRooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
If you want to play, you have to pay.
Explorer class of vehicles is way too small and light for any traler with a GVWR of over about 6000 pounds. The Suburban class is a much more capable tow vehicle. But do not even consider a 1500 model. Most of it's capacity is taken up with the body weight. The 2500 will get you much more capable motor and a real 3/4 ton underpinnings. If you are not willing to get at least a 2500 Suburban, do yourself a big favor. Sell the trailer and go back to what you had.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote