Old 12-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Besides you having a (2500HD) you failed to also tell him you installed Air Bags on your truck,and you say your Tow Specs are Very close! Youroo!!
are tow spec are very close only 300 lbs diff . the air bags do not increase load and were not needed to level TV and THso it's really a mute point . simply a bit better ride . He may also decide to install air bags still will not increase load rating . but may help him get to level .

Old 12-20-2015, 05:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by in6seczone View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Well no doubt I'm getting the LT 10 ply tires.

But I really need some help with the hitch. Seems like I have read the Anderson WDH does work ok with all the trucks bigger then the 1/2 and on lighter trailers. But not so much on the 1/2 ton trucks pulling 8000 pounds.

So what would everyone recommend for pulling my 27' HFS weighing 7800-8000 pounds, with my Tundra. I will need the hitch raised about 8" to keep the truck and trailer close to being level. I really want and need a WDH that I can back up my trailer without unhooking it. When we go to these BBQ competition we are sometimes in tight areas and I don't want to have to unhook to back up.

I will put air bags on later if needed.

Thanks in advance
Mike
The andersen will work fine with your set up but don't take my word for it i just use one myself and am not the weight police or the wdh cops ...

Old 12-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #23

Only WD that I know of that you can't back up with is those flat plate type that attaches to the little balls. All others are backup able. With an 8000lb Tt the TW should be about 950lbs. IMO that's too much to ask of the Anderson with a 1/2 ton truck. There's been a lot of reports from users trying to transfer TW of 800lbs or more with the Anderson and a 1/2 ton truck. Almost all of them never got to the desired weight transfer. I used an Anderson on a TT with a 900+lb TW and a Ram 2500 Cummins. I didn't need to transfer much weight because the Cummins is so heavy that not much weight was lifted off the front axle.
A good WD hitch like the Equalizer with built in 4pt sway, Blue Ox Or Reese would also be a better choice. I used an EQ with my previous truck an 2010 F150 and a TT with 900+lb TW. It returned all the needed weight back to the front.
As far as air bags goes, that's really not that big of a deal. Nothing wrong with wanting more stability. But you shouldn't allow the bags to control the lift off the WD. WD's with built in sway rely on the TW for friction. If you hitch up and then air up your bags you've then reduced the weight on the spring bars, which reduces the friction that they need to control unwanted sway.

The proper way to use airbags and WD is to 1st load the truck with all the gear you will haul. Then air up the bags to bring the rear of the truck back to it's original height. THEN hitch up the TT and setup the WD. That way the WD is only needing to lift the weight of the TT tongue as opposed to all the gear in the truck.
I used airbags on a previous truck and TT. The TT had a low TW of 450lbs. I had a canopy on the truck and it was loaded with everything we took. I needed 1000lb bars to be able to get enough weight transferred back to the front of the truck. It made for a really rough jerky ride. So I added bags. I loaded the truck up, aired the bags, then couple the TT to the truck. Now I only needed 600lb bars to get the truck properly setup. It now rode like a Caddy. Real smooth.
I also changed out my P rated tires to LT tires on both F150's I owned. It gave the truck a more solid feel. You don't need E rated tires as they're overkill. D rated are plenty good. I put E's on my 2010 F150 only because Michelin and Discount tire had a great sale going on. They were only a little more than some Cooper D rated tires. Anyway according to Discount tire I only needed 45psi in the E's to achieve the needed load rating for my F150.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #24

Old 12-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #25

Thanks a bunch for all the explanations on this. Starting to all make since now. Looks like with the right WDH I want need the air bags. So it looks like the 2 popular hitches are the Equalizer with built in 4pt sway,or the Blue Ox Sway Pro. From what I'm reading you can back up with the Blue Ox without unhooking it. But I have not yet found out if this is the case with the Equalizer hitch. Does this Equalizer hitch have to be unhooked before backing up?

Thanks again for the info!
Mike
Old 12-20-2015, 11:15 PM   #26
Ambassador

Equalizer is probably a very safe bet. I have one on my little truck that I have now and it does very well. Between the adjustments on the hitch and the L brackets on the trailer frame 8 inches should be no problem. The hitches run about 550 bucks+/- your dealers mark up. It might also do you better to make sure you have a proportional break controller. So the harder you press your break the more juice it puts to the trailer breaks. These run about 100 bucks, worth every damn penny in my mind...

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by in6seczone View Post
Thanks a bunch for all the explanations on this. Starting to all make since now. Looks like with the right WDH I want need the air bags. So it looks like the 2 popular hitches are the Equalizer with built in 4pt sway,or the Blue Ox Sway Pro. From what I'm reading you can back up with the Blue Ox without unhooking it. But I have not yet found out if this is the case with the Equalizer hitch. Does this Equalizer hitch have to be unhooked before backing up?

Thanks again for the info!
Mike
Just back up with the Equalizer ~~ no need to unhook.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:43 PM   #28
Ambassador

what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Just back up with the Equalizer ~~ no need to unhook.

2x that no issue backing with these hitches.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #29
Usually Confused Member

I never pulled my TT without the airbags added to my truck so don't know how it would be without the system. But, when I did put the airbags inside the coil springs I noticed a significant increase on stability...without the trailer. An added benefit was eliminating the "wheel hop" problem when accelerating rapidly on wet pavement and having the rear tires momentarily lose traction when crossing the paint strips on the road. I run them at 10psi.

That being said, I think airbags are a nice addition even if you're not pulling a trailer.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:57 PM   #30
Site Team

A 4 point equal-I-zer hitch will serve you well. You can back up.with them attached. I used the reese dual cam on my old tt and it worked well but was a bit of a bear to get set properly. You can back up with the wdh that have the integrated sway control (equal-i-zer, reese dual cam, etc). You can't back up with a friction sway bar. I wouldn't recommend a friction sway bar for your rig anyways due to the size of it.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, xlr