Old 12-21-2015, 06:14 AM   #31
Strongly agree

Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I never pulled my TT without the airbags added to my truck so don't know how it would be without the system. But, when I did put the airbags inside the coil springs I noticed a significant increase on stability...without the trailer. An added benefit was eliminating the "wheel hop" problem when accelerating rapidly on wet pavement and having the rear tires momentarily lose traction when crossing the paint strips on the road. I run them at 10psi.

That being said, I think airbags are a nice addition even if you're not pulling a trailer.
MY stock rear shocks were soft and mushy so when I started towing my TT the rear of the truck felt even more mushy, even with a big beefy WDH. Once I added the air bags, everything about the ride got a lot better, and I had a customized ride when I wasn't towing. I could leave 5 to 10 psi iin the bags and it feels like I'm riding on a cloud. Such an awesome addition. It was money well spent.

2016 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.2 L w/Ride Rite Air Leveling System.
2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #32
Originally Posted by in6seczone View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Well no doubt I'm getting the LT 10 ply tires.

But I really need some help with the hitch. Seems like I have read the Anderson WDH does work ok with all the trucks bigger then the 1/2 and on lighter trailers. But not so much on the 1/2 ton trucks pulling 8000 pounds.

So what would everyone recommend for pulling my 27' HFS weighing 7800-8000 pounds, with my Tundra. I will need the hitch raised about 8" to keep the truck and trailer close to being level. I really want and need a WDH that I can back up my trailer without unhooking it. When we go to these BBQ competition we are sometimes in tight areas and I don't want to have to unhook to back up.

I will put air bags on later if needed.

Thanks in advance
While I love my Andersen, I also have to agree with most posters, Andersen with 1/2 ton, heavy TT not a good combination. I tow with a 3/4 Air Bags and Andersen AND it will not set the front end back down. It is fantastic for sway control, but not so much for weight transfer. I am about 3/4" high in front, but no problem for me. If I had A 1/2 ton with heavy TT I would go for another WDH as has been recommended by several posters. Blue OX, etc. Just my take.

George Scott
2015 Salem Hemisphere Lite 272RLIS/ Prodigy P3
2006 Heartland BH 3400/Summer Home
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Andersen WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #33
Citrus County, Fl.
In6seczone, I have an EQ 4 point 12000/1200 that we used twice towing to the mountains in NC and now longer needed since we now have a class C. Not sure where you are located but if you are close you may be interested in it. Too heavy to ship $$$$$. I put it in the classified a few months ago but got little response $350 for everything.

Here is the link to the ad: Equal-i-zer 12000/1200 WDH
2016 Forester 3011DS
2015 Toyota Corrola S toad
PREVIOUS: 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by in6seczone View Post
MTNGUY you posted this:
Consider another WDH with integrated sway control such as anEqual-i-zer 4 pt., Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, or Blue Ox Sway Pro.
Which of these hitches would you recommend?
Please consider I need a hitch that I don't have to unhook to back up. Trailer will weight about 7800-8000 pounds. Guessing TW will be about 800-1000 pounds. Hopefully the one you recommend does not have to have a lot of grease on it to keep it quite.

I use the Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, which has worked well for me. It takes a bit to setup, and you have to drill 2 holes into each side of your trailer frame for the dual cam plate, but that is no biggie. It takes a bit of doing to get the notches in the spring bars exactly centered on the cams, but once that is done and you get the ideal weight distributed, the trailer pulls sweet with my 1/2 ton pickup.....even with P rated tires.

But a change in manufacturing location for all Reese products will make me shy away from any Reese products in the future.

If I were to buy an WDH today, it would be the Equal-i-zer 4 pt. I have never used the Equal-i-zer, but my daughter and SIL do, and they like it. To me, it is easier to setup, and the units are advertised as American make.

I am not familiar with the Blue Ox Sway Pro, but understand they work well also, but I am not privy to where they are manufactured.

The Reese Straight Line does just tends to keep you in a straight line. When the truck and trailer turn or sway, the WDH will try to get the combo back straight. The Equal-i-zer tends to maintain whatever angle your combo is at the time. If you are in a curve, then the Equal-i-zer will tend to keep you combo at that does not try to get you back straight. I am not sure there is any advantage with 1 system over another.

The 1 thing that I do not like about the Equalizer are the "spring" bars don't seem to actually be spring bars. There doesn't seem to be any give to them when hooked up. With my Reese system, you can see the bend in the bars when in place. When hitting a bump, true spring bars will absorb some shock before transferring the remainder of the energy to the truck and trailer springs. I would think that should give a somewhat better ride, as well as not being as hard on the hitch and trailer tongue.

I think Sway-Pro also has true spring bars.

I think you can back up without unhooking without removing the spring bars on any of the listed hitches. I do with my Reese, but avoid extreme angles because of a rub problem between my spring bars and a bolt on the dual cam plate.....which I understand has been corrected on newer Reese units (my setup is 7 years old).

Hope this helps.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #35
So I'm figuring about 8000 pounds loaded. Not sure yet of the TW, although it says it is about 800 lbs, so lets say it is 1000...
Our TT is listed as 6,500 empty w/TW of 650... However, ready-to-camp we're at 8,200 w/TW of 1,200. I've also found that our TT w/affordable Equalizer 4 WDH rides best with 15% on the hitch, so (in your case) backing-off that 1,200 TW by packing gear/firewood for the smoker in the rear vs. front will likely take-away from overall stability...

IMO the Tundra is capable of towing your setup w/just 2 adults packing lightly, but a larger family will likely put you over payload. (Our family of 5 & 1 dog adds 700, so we're at 1,900 before adding firewood, tools, etc. in the PU bed...) To make your Tundra setup road worthy, IMO you will need truck tires rated D or E, an affordable Equalizer 4 WDH, and air bags. If you choose to run over payload in our litigious society, that's totally up to you...

We have only owned Toyotas & Hondas for the last 25 years but when I bought an 8,000 TT I paired it to a (used) 3/4 ton Ram for peace-of-mind. (My 2 year-old Ram 2500 was $14K compared to 2 year-old Tundras that cost $20+K...) This summer I added a fiberglass cap to keep everything dry & we now routinely use 2,500 of our 3,000 payload...
2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #36
Site Team
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
In6seczone, I have an EQ 4 point 12000/1200 that we used twice towing to the mountains in NC and now longer needed since we now have a class C. Not sure where you are located but if you are close you may be interested in it. Too heavy to ship $$$$$. I put it in the classified a few months ago but got little response $350 for everything.

Here is the link to the ad: Equal-i-zer 12000/1200 WDH
That is a good price! The pics do show its in great shape.
Had the 10k equal-i-zer (like new) and sold it in a few days for $350 on CL. Guy drove 70 miles one way to get it. Now I have the 14k equal-i-zer and I do like the hitch.
If I was going to upgrade my equal-i-zer I would get the ProPride.

I towed a 6000 lbs. Tracer with 1/2 ton Silverado, LT tires ,10k equal-i-zer , Firestone airbags and towed sweet.

The equal-i-zer can make some noise tho.
Next year is here - GO CUBS- 4 more WINS to go
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 89 nights of camping
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #37
Plato,that would be a nice upgrade. I really like the Hensley. You forget your pulling something behind you.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote

towing, xlr