Old 12-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
Need help with towing setup for 27HFS Hyperlite XLR

I bought a new 2016 Tundra double cab yesterday with tow package. I will be using it to tow a 27'HFS hyperlite XLR toy hauler. Most tows will be around 100-250 miles. The dry weight showa 6300lbs. In the cargo area it will be loaded with 1100 pounds (BBQ smoker, stainless steel sink and generator...using this for doing competiton BBQ's) and another 600 pounds for everything else in the trailer. So I'm figuring about 8000 pounds loaded. Not sure yet of the TW, although it says it is about 800 lbs, so lets say it is 1000. Maybe someone who owns one of these trailers can let me know if this is close. I will not be putting anything in the bed of the truck. So here are a few questions I have.

Will the P series tires be enough for this truck or will I be better off going with a E series tire? Sure seems like it would be a lot safer with the stiffer sidewall and carrying the load. Are they needed?

Also does anyone have any experience with the Anderson WDH pulling a 8000lb TH? I understand some have said it will not transfer enough weight to the front axle. I have been told to put the Firestone Air Bags on it and that will help with the sag. So if I have the air bag can I use the Anderson WDH. I really don't want to unhook when I back up. Some of the BBQ competitions we do is not easy to get into.

Thanks in advance

in6seczone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #2

I will comment on the weight distribution setup. If your front end is lifted, your WDH is not doing its job. Using air bags will just make things look better, but you will not be transferring enough of your tongue weight forward to the front end and your hitch will probably be overloaded. The sole purpose of the WDH is to transfer heavy tongue weight to the front of the tow vehicle and to the trailer axles. If your truck isn't level, you need to adjust or replace components of your WDH.

2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Look's like you put the Horse before the Cart! But if the horse came with P-Tires,I think with This CART you will need a TEAM! Youroo!!
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
Mike you might get more help posting this under the XLR area. Lots of helpful people willing to help on this forum.
Good luck and Congrats on your new truck & trailer ! 🍻

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Honestly, depending on what setup you have long bed/short bed/ 4.6L/5.7L... you are coming close to what that tundra can do. top tow rating for any Tundra is 10300 lbs The hitch weight for the 27'HFS hyperlite XLR toy hauler is 876 lbs, the idea is to set up your WDH to spread that out between the front and back wheels of your TV, I think..The air bags will take care of the sag but may not transfer as much weight to the front axle because of the lack of hitch counter pressure. So get your WDH set up right, then use your air bags just to reinforce it to smooth the ride out even more. Now that being said I'm not sure pulling 4 tons any distance on the road is a good idea with passenger rated tires. At minimum you need to upgrade to LT tires with at least a C rating, probably need D though. While you're upgrading maybe think about dumping the Andersen WDH and go for a beefier hitch like an Equalizer WDH with solid steel trunnions. They slide on L brackets and do not have to unhook when backing. Alright, good luck with all of that be safe...
2016 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.2 L w/Ride Rite Air Leveling System.
2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Site Team
Your P-metric tires should be fine for a short tow like that.

The Anderson WD hitches are not known for handling a big trailer like yours very well. I would suggest a Reese Straight-Line or an Equalizer. No problem backing either of those.

IMO, air bags are a crutch for a bad setup or a bad match between TV and trailer; with a bumper pull that is.
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
Site Team
Dont care for towing with "P" tires myself. Would up grade the tires to Lt's , E's would be good.

Personally I would pass on the Anderson WDH, dont think you will get enough weight back to the front axles. Equal-i-zer 12K or 14k. There is also other wdh of better choice for a unit that heavy and long.
Next year is here - GO CUBS- 3 more WINS to go
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 89 nights of camping
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
I, for one would not use the Andersen. It's good for sway but not for weight distribution. It seems to do better with lighter rv's and 1\2 tons or larger rv's like yours and 3\4 T or higher trucks. There are numerous systems that you can back up with Blue Ox is one and about the same price point. Andersen is very convenient though stores in tighter places and no grease to contend with.

I sold my Andersen and went with Blue Ox, just didn't like the ride quality.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Mike you might get more help posting this under the XLR area.
This is probably the best forum to ask the questions, as towing related questions cover all trailers.

To answer a couple of the OPs questions:

The Andersen Hitch seems to work OK for heavy duty trucks pulling smaller trailers, but not 1/2 tons pulling heavy trailers. The Andersen has not been proven (at least on this forum) to transfer enough weight to the TV front axle. Consider another WDH with integrated sway control such as anEqual-i-zer 4 pt., Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, or Blue Ox Sway Pro.

Anything loaded in the cargo area of a toy hauler takes weight off of the tongue. That is why many toyhaulers have a heavy unloaded tongue weight......once cargo is loaded, the tongue weight comes down. Loading up 1100 lbs. of cooking supplies in the cargo area could take several hundred lbs. off of the tongue weight. The OP may need to tweak the placement of the cargo to get a good tongue weight of 12-15%. Of course, anything loaded in front of the axles (camping gear, clothes, food, etc) will add to the tongue weight.

If someone is exceeding the P series tire ratings, then they will also be exceeding axle ratings, as the tires should always be rated more than then the axles.

With a properly setup WDH, air bags should not be needed, and IMHO they should not be used on a 1/2 ton easy to give you a false sense of safety when the truck doesn't settle. Air bags do nothing to distribute the trailer tongue weight to the TV front axle.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
With a properly setup WDH, air bags should not be needed, and IMHO they should not be used on a 1/2 ton easy to give you a false sense of safety when the truck doesn't settle. Air bags do nothing to distribute the trailer tongue weight to the TV front axle.

Toyota owners manual explains a lot. States the front end should be at same height loaded and unloaded.
My Tundra - ground to inside frt fender is 36 1/2 inch no trailer
37 inch with trailer no WDH
36 1/2 inch with WDH
I dont have the weights but I tow a 19rr with a Honda Gold wing in the back and tows great. Youll get 8 - 10 mpg these campers mover alot of air so weight comes in 2nd vs aerodynamics for fuel economy.
Welcome to Forest River and Tundra Talk!!

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote

towing, xlr