Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #1

Need Hitch HELP

I need help, I have on order a Silverback 33ik and am having trouble trying to figure out what hitch will work best for my Truck and RV combination. I have a 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax crew cab with the standard 6.5 ft bed.
My truck bed sits 38 inches off the ground and the top of the bed rails are at 57 3/4 from the ground. from what the dealer told me the skid plate on the Silverback is approx 48 inches off the ground. The dealer suggested I use the Pull Rite Superglide 2900 ISR, (that's what they sell )The problem is this hitch is 18.5 inches tall and I think this would be too tall and make the RV too nose high. Some say I don't need a slider because of the cut back corners on the Silverback. Others say to look at the
Anderson Ultimate Connection hitch, and some say to replace the pin box on the RV to the Reese Sidewinder. The more I think about this the more confused I get.
I am looking for anyone that has a similar set up as mine that can give me some input as to what you are using and how it works. Thanks Chuck
Cloudteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
Site Team

In order to make a better decision you need one more measurement. From the ground to the bottom of the overhang. Knowing that, and the 57-3/4" to the top of the rails will tell you how high the hitch needs to be in order to maintain the required 6" or more clearance between the overhang and the bedrails.

I don't think you'll be able to get a very short hitch and maintain that clearance.

I do agree that replacing the pin box with a Sidewinder, etc., and not getting a slider is a good idea.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
In order to make a better decision you need one more measurement. From the ground to the bottom of the overhang. Knowing that, and the 57-3/4" to the top of the rails will tell you how high the hitch needs to be in order to maintain the required 6" or more clearance between the overhang and the bedrails.

I don't think you'll be able to get a very short hitch and maintain that clearance.

I do agree that replacing the pin box with a Sidewinder, etc., and not getting a slider is a good idea.
The distance from the ground to the bottom of the overhang is approx 60 inches and from the skid plate on the pin box to the bottom of the overhang is between 11 to 12 inches. Pull Rite does have the traditional series superglide that is about 15 1/2 inches tall from the truck bed
Old 05-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

Measurements are all the same as mine.i had 17" Tires and the Reese hitch with no slider. You need to be at 17" from the inside floor to the top of the hitch. Then if you do a front a/c you should be at 13'3".
Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Site Team

In order to maintain the required 6" of clearance above the bed rails the RV is going to have to ride about 4" or 5" high in the front so that means that your hitch needs to be about 15" high from your truck bed, if I did my math right!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #6

I have the super slide 5th wheel hitch also, and had the front of the trailer to high. Go to super glide Web sit were you can order the "feet" between the hitch and the rails that are 11/2 inches shorter which I did for a CC Champagne. Rig sits almost level now.
corn flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn flakes View Post
I have the super slide 5th wheel hitch also, and had the front of the trailer to high. Go to super glide Web sit were you can order the "feet" between the hitch and the rails that are 11/2 inches shorter which I did for a CC Champagne. Rig sits almost level now.
which superglide do you have and what is your truck setup? I have looked at the Superglide 2900 ISR which is 19 inches from the bed and the 4400 Superglide which is 16.5 from the bed and just looked at a guy's setup he had a ISR SuperFifth fixed hitch and that can be adjusted from 16 to 19 inches from the bed. Just not sure if I need a slider or not and if its best which one. SuperGlides are not adjustable.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmi View Post
Measurements are all the same as mine.i had 17" Tires and the Reese hitch with no slider. You need to be at 17" from the inside floor to the top of the hitch. Then if you do a front a/c you should be at 13'3".
Do you think I don't need a slider with my Chevy 2500 6.6 ft box and The Silverback 33IK?
Old 06-01-2017, 06:58 AM   #9

I have the Super glide 18000 lb 5th wheel hitch on a Ram limited 3500 duelly with factory air ride which allows me to drop the rear of the truck 1 inch by pressing one switch. I have my Trail ride up as high as it will go as the valve stem would hit the front cap if I were to take it up one more setting.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn flakes View Post
I have the Super glide 18000 lb 5th wheel hitch on a Ram limited 3500 duelly with factory air ride which allows me to drop the rear of the truck 1 inch by pressing one switch. I have my Trail ride up as high as it will go as the valve stem would hit the front cap if I were to take it up one more setting.
Do you know what distance you have from the top of the bed sides to the underbelly of the overhang on your fifth? I do have a Superglide ISR 2900 18K hitch I purchased that was only used one season and sitting on the rails in the bed measures approx 19.5 inches high. If i purchased the short leg kit that would put it at approx. 18 inches high. my truck bed is 21 1/4 high that places the hitch 3 inches below the top of the truck bed and if my fifth wheel is 12 inches from the skid plate to the underbelly of the fifth this would give me 9 inches clearence between the top of the truck sides to the underside of the fifth wheel, do you think this is too much? I was told to be around 6 to 7 inches.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #11

I have 8 inches between the side of the truck and the bottom of the overhang, I am 18 1/2 inches from the bed floor to the top of the hitch plate. I have the trail air Pin box, the valve stems sticks up about 1 1/2 inches. I am going to look for an flexible extension remove the valve stem then maybe I can get another inch or two lower on the front of the trailer, it would also make it easier to air up the air bag an the trailair. What we need is a dually without 4 wheel drive as they are lower but trying to sell it later would not be pretty. I seen a 350 Ford duelly that was much lower so I asked the guy how he managed that, he told me he took out some of the leaf springs. I know darn well I will not be doing that.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #12

Cloudteaser, did you wind up getting a Sidewinder pin box for your 33IK? We are looking at the 33IK, and I think the Sidewinder might be the way to go with my 2016 Ram 2500 short bed.

I'm just trying to find confirmation that the Sidewinder can be mounted to the 33IK.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:11 PM   #13

Hey Old Bleu,

No I did not get the Sidewinder, I called Forest River to ask them about fit and they suggested I not go with it for warranty reasons. What I went with is the factory Lippert 1621 pinbox and a PullRite Superglide 18k auto sliding hitch with the short foot kit. I was not sure how everything would fit from bed height to side wall height and keeping the 33ik as level as possible. I put the short foot kit on the Superglide hitch which is 1 1/2 inches tall vs the standard foot kit which is 3 inches tall. My Superglide hitch is the ISR model 2900 so it connects with standard rails. I installed an AirLift system also on my 2500 Chevy HD and only had to add 20 lbs . I have to say that the Pullrite Superglide ISR hitch is fantastic. it wraps all around the king pin and even with the standard Lippert inbox it is SOLID with no clanging, slop, or noise. It is a pleasure to pull. with my setup the Silverback 33ik sits almost perfectly level and and leaves me about 7 inches from top of bed rail to overhang of fifth wheel. It is a dream to pull with my 2500 HD Duramax. If the 33ik continues to pull as nice as it has so far I may not have to think about switching pin boxes.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #14

Cloudteaser know this is a little old but I am going thru the same thing. What position is your pinbox on the RV. I have gone with the 2700 16k unit which is 1 inch lower than the 2900 I have also ordered the short feet. Trying to plan ahead if I will need to raise my pin box to the highest position.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #15

Pin box location

Hey RICH5117, I went out and looked at my pinbox and of the 4 bolts that hold it to the rv the two in front have one hole below the bolts and the back has two holes below the bolts if that helps. My combination sits very well and am happy with it but not until after many days of researching to come up with the correct configuration for my truck. Hope this helps. Safe towing my friend..
Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 PM   #16

Cloudteaser that is how mine is, crossing my fingers that it will set level also without to much adjustment. Thanks
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:45 PM   #17

Let me know how things turns out.

Tags
hitch