Old 07-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #21

Both guys were with they're wives so I am sure there was extra weight. The ford had the small V8 extended cab. He added airbags. That's all I know. The other guy had a Ram with the 400 hp Hemi and he also added airbags.

235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetanu539 View Post
From experience I did this (not with a 5ver but a TT) where my payload was over maxed. The truck did fine with it for about three years and then the transmission decided it had enough. Of course by then it was out of warranty so the transmission replacement was on me.
Interesting. I wonder what the difference is by having the extra weight on the behind the axle with a TT, rather than over the axle (ish) with a 5er.

How much were you over the payload limit, and was that mostly from the hitch weight ?

Old 07-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Interesting. I wonder what the difference is by having the extra weight on the behind the axle with a TT, rather than over the axle (ish) with a 5er.

How much were you over the payload limit, and was that mostly from the hitch weight ?
It is hard to say exactly but with the tongue weight, the three passengers, and the supplies in the truck I would guess about 400 lbs maybe 500. Shorter trips we were probably just 100-200 but longer ones between the 400-500.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelsonfl View Post
Met a two guys in Middleberry a few days ago towing the 8265WS camper with a half ton and a guy towing a little heavier model 8280WS with the F150. Both told me no problems.
Our rig & truck is in our sig. Never had a problem flat towing or mountains. Simply put, the Ecoboost is a BEAST.

As for your hitch, my only concern is your short bed (we got the 6' bed)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #25

The majority of Signature Ultra-lites are under $8k. I have an F150 with a 6.5' box and a Reese 16K Titan hitch. I just had the rails installed at a reputable local hitch store (Stittsville Trailer) and when talking to them about the 5.5' box with the Revolution, they said they have installed them without any problems and do not foresee any problems with turning. Your Revolution is like installing a slider hitch in a short bed as it turns under the trailer and not in the bed of the truck. If you want to make sure, here is the formula for checking it out:

Use the formula below to ensure that there will be enough space between your truck cab and trailer when you are executing a 90-degree turn with the Sidewinder installed.

(A + B) - C = Clearance
A = Distance from center of 5th-wheel hitch jaw to truck cab in inches
B = Length of Sidewinder arm in inches (22")
C = Width of trailer in inches divided by 2

For example:
If you are using the 16,000-lb Sidewinder, then B = 22"
If the distance from the center of your hitch to your truck's cab is 36", then A = 36"
And if your fifth-wheel trailer is 102" wide, then C = 51"
102/2 = 51
Therefore,
(36 + 22) - 51 = 7" of clearance
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Our rig & truck is in our sig. Never had a problem flat towing or mountains. Simply put, the Ecoboost is a BEAST.

As for your hitch, my only concern is your short bed (we got the 6' bed)
Thanks for info. Your 5er hitch weight is 91lb lower than the 8281WS, and with the longer wheelbase and the Heavy Duty Payload Package your payload capacity is 2900lbs (830lb over the payload capacity listed for the shorter wheelbase, and 1267lb over what's actually listed in the door jam of my truck).

I can handle the 5.5ft bed (barely) from a length perspective, but the payload is now seeming like a real problem and a big mistake.

I really wanted the 6.5ft bed, but there are no 2015 F-150 Supercrew's with the 157" wheelbase available in the whole of the South-east (2 local dealers checked), and Ford have stopped taking orders for custom 2015's and haven't yet opened the books for 2016 orders
Old 07-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
The majority of Signature Ultra-lites are under $8k. I have an F150 with a 6.5' box and a Reese 16K Titan hitch. I just had the rails installed at a reputable local hitch store (Stittsville Trailer) and when talking to them about the 5.5' box with the Revolution, they said they have installed them without any problems and do not foresee any problems with turning. Your Revolution is like installing a slider hitch in a short bed as it turns under the trailer and not in the bed of the truck. If you want to make sure, here is the formula for checking it out:

Use the formula below to ensure that there will be enough space between your truck cab and trailer when you are executing a 90-degree turn with the Sidewinder installed.

(A + B) - C = Clearance
A = Distance from center of 5th-wheel hitch jaw to truck cab in inches
B = Length of Sidewinder arm in inches (22")
C = Width of trailer in inches divided by 2

For example:
If you are using the 16,000-lb Sidewinder, then B = 22"
If the distance from the center of your hitch to your truck's cab is 36", then A = 36"
And if your fifth-wheel trailer is 102" wide, then C = 51"
102/2 = 51
Therefore,
(36 + 22) - 51 = 7" of clearance
Unfortunately the distance from the back of the cab to the center of the axle is only 27.25" in the F150 SuperCrew with 145" wheelbase.
Since I understand that the king-pin center is normally located 1.5" forward of the axle center that's down to 25.75", add the 22" of the revolution/sidewinder is 47.75", just under the 48" half-width of the trailer, and certainly less than 4" clearance. But I plan to use a manual slider for tighter turns ... if the truck can even handle the payload weight.

I'm now wishing I'd gone for an F-250 or similar heavier-duty truck instead.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetanu539 View Post
It is hard to say exactly but with the tongue weight, the three passengers, and the supplies in the truck I would guess about 400 lbs maybe 500. Shorter trips we were probably just 100-200 but longer ones between the 400-500.
Thanks, I'm surprised that you went over the payload capacity with a travel-trailer since the tongue weight is usually so much lighter than the hitch weight of a 5er.

Fortunately (if I do keep the truck, and can't exchange it for something with a heavier payload capacity), I do have a lifetime powertrain warranty, and a 7 year everything-else warranty, from the dealer (so long as they don't claim that I voided the warranty by either installing the bed rails or towing something over capacity.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelsonfl View Post
Both guys were with they're wives so I am sure there was extra weight. The ford had the small V8 extended cab. He added airbags. That's all I know. The other guy had a Ram with the 400 hp Hemi and he also added airbags.
Can you explain what airbags are with relation to payload ?
Old 07-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #30

If the real payload max is 2070 lb, rather than the 1633 lb listed on the cab itself (not sure why this would be wrong though), then I'd still be at least 161 lb over with a lighter slider hitch and all 4 of us in the cab.

Can anyone clarify whether the max payload is purely hypothetical (e.g.: based on some regulatory restrictions), or is genuinely based on the structural integrity of the chassis, or the capacity of the suspension etc ?

If the former then I really don't care, if the latter then I assume that there's some margin-of-error built-in, but am a lot more concerned.

Also, anyone have any theories as to the discrepancies between the rating listed by ford online and what's listed on the cab ?

Tags
bed, ford, hitch