Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Need hitch help with a 2015 Ford F-150 (5.5ft bed) and Reese Revolution

Hi,

I'm new to fifth wheels (though I have done quite a lot of research), but not to conventional towing.

I just bought a 2015 Rockwood Ultralite Fifth Wheel, with the Reese Revolution hitch, which pushes the rotation point 22" back from the king-pin.

The problem is that my 2015 F-150 (Crewcab, 5.5ft bed) has a very short distance from the back of the cab to the axle center which, as best as I can measure, is 27.25".

That gives a total of only 49.25". Assuming that the king pin is centered exactly over the axle (and not 1.5" forward as some folks have suggested, and I'm not even sure if that's optional) that's only 1.25" of clearance if the trailer is at 90 degrees (96" width, so 48" half-width), but of course we need at least an extra inch since the distance from the revolution's rotation point to the front corner of the trailer is 49", leaving basically zero clearance.

So ... I have a couple of options as best as I can work out ...

1. Don't turn sharply (not liking relying on this one).

2. Use a manual slider, in addition to the Reese Revolution, so that I can slide the king-pin back behind the axle when making extra-tight turns, still using the offset of the Revolution. This seems like a viable option, tho' with the usual concerns about having to get out of the truck to manually move the slider back.

3. Lock the Reese Revolution 'arm' (what's the proper term for the arm between the king-pin box and the king-pin itself ?) to function as a regular king-pin setup, and use a Superglide 12K to handle offsetting of the rotation point.

This last one has both positives and negatives, and I'm not sure if it's even a real possibility.

The positive is that, although it's still tight, the fact that it adds 0.75" to the rotation offset at max helps. Additionally since the Revolution king-pin is 5" in front of the leading edge of the trailer (rather than the rotation point being 17" behind the leading edge) there's no concern with the extra distance from the rotation point to the front corner, so the max width of the trailer is worst-case, so with 22.75" offset plus 27.25" from cab to axle that gives me 50" offset, so 2" clearance at 90deg (assuming that the front of the superglide is exactly over the axle ... can anyone confirm this ?)

Of course there's the concern with moving the weight back off the rear axle, even when making gentler turns (I gather than the superglide moves backwards progressively, so the weight is back some even when only turning at say 20deg)

Next concern is whether it's even possible to use the Revolution with the Superglide. I've read folks suggesting that it's not recommended, and that it may not be possible to get a suitable locking plate for the Superglide that will fit with the Revolution.

I've also read concerns that, due to the shape of the Revolution's 'arm' it may interfere with the top of the truck bed when using it as a conventional king-ping arm, but I am a little skeptical of this since I'd have thought that Reese wouldn't have even made locking it an option if that were the case.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the manual slider (unless there's any powered sliders, rather than the superglide-style auto-sliders, which would eliminate the need for getting out of the truck), since it gives me plenty of extra clearance when really needed.

Hoping to order the hitch today or tomorrow, since I'm hoping to pick up the trailer in 1.5 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help.
leefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

Here is my concern on this, not knowing more on your F150. I have serious concern that the F150 is even big enough to handle your 5ver. Looking up the specs on the various Signature Ultralights, the lightest 5ver dry weight is 9108lbs and up to just shy of 9600lbs depending on your model. Now add the 1000+lbs of stuff you will add to you 5ver. I am pretty sure the 9108 is over the limit for the F150 even before you add supplies and necessities.

I just checked Ford's website and for the 2015 model year the max towing capacity (depending on actual model) for a F150 is 9100 lbs, some models are as low as 5500 max.

Even if your model has the max tow capacity and you are in the lightest Signature Ultralight you are 8 lbs over max without putting even one thing in the 5ver.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #3

the lightest GVW is 9108 for the signature line, the lightest UVW is 6886, and the F150 can be option up to 11000lbs towing "3.5L EcoBoostŪ V6 3.55 7,756 kg - - - 5,443 kg ( 11974 lbs) " this is for a regular cab, not that I think you would ever tow a 5ver at this weight but they are rated this high.
http://www.ford.ca/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/
http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...211&Image=5060

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #4

According to Ford the towing capacity on my (upgraded) F-150 is 10,200lbs (for a fifth wheel ... or 11,900lbs conventional towing).

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...0_r1_Jan12.pdf

I have the SuperCrew 145" wheelbase, 4x2, with the 3.5L twin-turbo GTDI V6 and the 3.55 ratio locking rear axle

The FR Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8281WS has an unladen weight of 7948lbs, and a max loaded GVWR of 9446lbs, well clear of the 10,200lb towing capacity of my truck.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #5

I do see now that the manual shows different info than the towing capacity general info screen I was looking at, and that I misread weight of gvwr as dry.

I cannot answer any questions on the 5ver towing as I do not have one but I am sure someone will.
Central Ohio
Old 07-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #6

Have you also checked the max cargo capacity of your truck? I was planning to get a 5er to tow with my 1/2 ton Chevy and everything was good except the cargo capacity. It needs to be big enough to cover the pin weight of the trailer, the occupants of the truck and anything that will be carried in the truck.

The cargo capacity of your truck should be on a sticker on the drivers side door post, the same sticker as the tire inflation PSI.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

Hello leefl
Sticking with your original question here is a video that might help with your setup and hitch.

I have the Reese 16K pin box (its a slider also) in my F150, and I have not had the opportunity yet where I had to use it.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

I also have the Reese 16K with manual slider and I also have not yet had to use it. My F150 however is a 6 1/2 bed but my son has one with the 5 1/2 and has had the same results. That's the route I would take. Discount the information you are receiving about your truck's towing capabilities. I doesn't matter what you tow, as long as it's a half ton truck there are some on the site that will tell you it can't be done. My special ordered F150 (2015) with the aluminum body has a carrying capacity of 2900 lbs and a towing capacity of 12,200 lbs. Easily within the realm of many nice 5th wheels. That ECO boost engine will amaze you. It tows my 32' Chapparal Lite like a dream.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Hi,

I'm new to fifth wheels (though I have done quite a lot of research), but not to conventional towing.

I just bought a 2015 Rockwood Ultralite Fifth Wheel, with the Reese Revolution hitch, which pushes the rotation point 22" back from the king-pin.

The problem is that my 2015 F-150 (Crewcab, 5.5ft bed) has a very short distance from the back of the cab to the axle center which, as best as I can measure, is 27.25".

That gives a total of only 49.25". Assuming that the king pin is centered exactly over the axle (and not 1.5" forward as some folks have suggested, and I'm not even sure if that's optional) that's only 1.25" of clearance if the trailer is at 90 degrees (96" width, so 48" half-width), but of course we need at least an extra inch since the distance from the revolution's rotation point to the front corner of the trailer is 49", leaving basically zero clearance.

So ... I have a couple of options as best as I can work out ...

1. Don't turn sharply (not liking relying on this one).

2. Use a manual slider, in addition to the Reese Revolution, so that I can slide the king-pin back behind the axle when making extra-tight turns, still using the offset of the Revolution. This seems like a viable option, tho' with the usual concerns about having to get out of the truck to manually move the slider back.

3. Lock the Reese Revolution 'arm' (what's the proper term for the arm between the king-pin box and the king-pin itself ?) to function as a regular king-pin setup, and use a Superglide 12K to handle offsetting of the rotation point.

This last one has both positives and negatives, and I'm not sure if it's even a real possibility.

The positive is that, although it's still tight, the fact that it adds 0.75" to the rotation offset at max helps. Additionally since the Revolution king-pin is 5" in front of the leading edge of the trailer (rather than the rotation point being 17" behind the leading edge) there's no concern with the extra distance from the rotation point to the front corner, so the max width of the trailer is worst-case, so with 22.75" offset plus 27.25" from cab to axle that gives me 50" offset, so 2" clearance at 90deg (assuming that the front of the superglide is exactly over the axle ... can anyone confirm this ?)

Of course there's the concern with moving the weight back off the rear axle, even when making gentler turns (I gather than the superglide moves backwards progressively, so the weight is back some even when only turning at say 20deg)

Next concern is whether it's even possible to use the Revolution with the Superglide. I've read folks suggesting that it's not recommended, and that it may not be possible to get a suitable locking plate for the Superglide that will fit with the Revolution.

I've also read concerns that, due to the shape of the Revolution's 'arm' it may interfere with the top of the truck bed when using it as a conventional king-ping arm, but I am a little skeptical of this since I'd have thought that Reese wouldn't have even made locking it an option if that were the case.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the manual slider (unless there's any powered sliders, rather than the superglide-style auto-sliders, which would eliminate the need for getting out of the truck), since it gives me plenty of extra clearance when really needed.

Hoping to order the hitch today or tomorrow, since I'm hoping to pick up the trailer in 1.5 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I have exactly the same hitch on 2015 Ford F250 with the same bed length. Hitch is mounted 1.5" forward and have the reese sidewinder hitch. It works great and have about 7 inches of clearance between camper and back of cab when 90 degrees. Only issue I have with it is it is a pain to hook up. Got to be perfectly lined up with the pin and receiver both side to side and front to back. Bought some rods to stand on the trailer and in bed of truck and works much better on lining up. Also put plenty of grease on it. Been pulling fithwheels for many years and this is by far the hardest to line up. It does make manuevering forward and backwards much better as the pivot point being moved 22 rearward makes the trailer turn quicker going backwards unstead of having to pull up 20 feet to move over 4 inches it only takes a few feet to make the camper respond. It also makes the trailer track more closely to the truck while maneuvering around in tight spots like gas stations.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke5rbd View Post
I have exactly the same hitch on 2015 Ford F250 with the same bed length. Hitch is mounted 1.5" forward and have the reese sidewinder hitch. It works great and have about 7 inches of clearance between camper and back of cab when 90 degrees. Only issue I have with it is it is a pain to hook up. Got to be perfectly lined up with the pin and receiver both side to side and front to back. Bought some rods to stand on the trailer and in bed of truck and works much better on lining up. Also put plenty of grease on it. Been pulling fithwheels for many years and this is by far the hardest to line up. It does make manuevering forward and backwards much better as the pivot point being moved 22 rearward makes the trailer turn quicker going backwards unstead of having to pull up 20 feet to move over 4 inches it only takes a few feet to make the camper respond. It also makes the trailer track more closely to the truck while maneuvering around in tight spots like gas stations.
The 7 inch clearance is when using the Reese 16K manual slider, in addition to the SideWinder/Revolution, correct ?
(otherwise with just the SideWinder/Revolution and a fixed hitch the clearance would be negative with the hitch mounted 1.5" forward)

Is the hitch the square tube slider ?
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/Reese/RP30051.html

or the round tube slider ?
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/Reese/RP30075.html

Thanks so much for your help
Old 07-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootdawg View Post
Hello leefl
Sticking with your original question here is a video that might help with your setup and hitch.

I have the Reese 16K pin box (its a slider also) in my F150, and I have not had the opportunity yet where I had to use it.
Thanks. I've seen the video before, but thanks for sharing.
I've read a few horror stories of dealers not unlocking the revolution/sidewinder for new owners that hadn't done their research, and the new owner then wrecking the truck cab minutes after driving away.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #12

I have the same hitch, But with a 6.6 box. and we have lots of room. like Ke5rbd says you should be OK.
I let the DW back the truck up to hook up. while I direct her with walkie & hand singles, works good unless your on a uneven lot sight. make sure your hitch wedge block on the sidewinder is up tight to your hitch, if not the camper can sway some.
Dale Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #13

Mine is a round tube slider. The beauty is when hooked up with this hitch you don't get the banging and clanging you do from other hitches as the jaw goes completely around the pin. You might be concentrating too much on these 90 degree turns. That's why I elected to get the manual slide as the times you will need it are negligible.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat56 View Post
Have you also checked the max cargo capacity of your truck? I was planning to get a 5er to tow with my 1/2 ton Chevy and everything was good except the cargo capacity. It needs to be big enough to cover the pin weight of the trailer, the occupants of the truck and anything that will be carried in the truck.

The cargo capacity of your truck should be on a sticker on the drivers side door post, the same sticker as the tire inflation PSI.
damn, I thought the cargo capacity of my truck was much higher than it says there. That says that the max cargo capacity (including passengers) is 1633 lbs, and the trailer hitch weight is 1428 lbs, that's only a difference of 205 lbs, certainly not enough for 4 passengers (assuming 200lb for myself, and 150lb each for 3 family)

Am I completely screwed ?

Anyone know if getting the 'Heavy Duty Payload package' for the F-150 an a dealer upgrade is possible (I think I might have been reading the capacity with that upgrade before). It looks like the only difference between that package and the 'Max Trailer Tow package' I have on my truck is upgraded springs.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
I also have the Reese 16K with manual slider and I also have not yet had to use it. My F150 however is a 6 1/2 bed but my son has one with the 5 1/2 and has had the same results. That's the route I would take. Discount the information you are receiving about your truck's towing capabilities. I doesn't matter what you tow, as long as it's a half ton truck there are some on the site that will tell you it can't be done. My special ordered F150 (2015) with the aluminum body has a carrying capacity of 2900 lbs and a towing capacity of 12,200 lbs. Easily within the realm of many nice 5th wheels. That ECO boost engine will amaze you. It tows my 32' Chapparal Lite like a dream.
I'm guessing you ordered with the heavy payload package ?
I have the max trailer tow package, but not the heavy payload package, and just realized that the payload capacity, with the crewcab, is only 1633 lbs, not enough for the 80lb bedrails, 181lb hitch, 1428lb hitch weight of the trailer, and 4 passengers (two adults and two teens - guessing 600-650lb total) which would be a bit over 2300lb (not 1633lb)

Where did you find the payload capacity before ordering ?
Ford's site is not the best for trying to see payload capacity with/without options.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #16

Met a two guys in Middleberry a few days ago towing the 8265WS camper with a half ton and a guy towing a little heavier model 8280WS with the F150. Both told me no problems.
235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #17
Site Team

I had the Reese 16 k slider hitch for my wildcat towed with 08 tundra with 6.5' bed. Never needed the slide so I changed it out for straight legs. Still have the slide mechanism in my garage. Not sure about your 5.5' bed. Hope it works out.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelsonfl View Post
Met a two guys in Middleberry a few days ago towing the 8265WS camper with a half ton and a guy towing a little heavier model 8280WS with the F150. Both told me no problems.
That's some re-assurance at least, but the 8265 has 141lb lower hitch weight, and while the 8280 is slightly heavier UVW than the 8265 (still a bit lighter than mine) it's hitch weight is actually substantially light at 339lb lower than 'my' 8281WS.

Was it just the two guys in the 8265 (so no extra folks in the cab) ? and any idea if they had the max payload package on the F150 ? and if it was a crewcab ?

I think the reason why my listed payload is so low is because of the crew cab, tho' this page
2015 Ford F-150 | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com
lists that the F150 SuperCrew with 145" wheelbase, and the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 has a GVWR of 6800lb and a payload capacity of 2070lb

If true then the options on my truck (20" wheels, twin moonroof etc, and some fancy electronics) can't possibly add enough weight to account for the discrepancy between the 2070lb and 1633lb numbers (even tho' the 2070lb is still low for my needs)

Thanks for your help
Old 07-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
damn, I thought the cargo capacity of my truck was much higher than it says there. That says that the max cargo capacity (including passengers) is 1633 lbs, and the trailer hitch weight is 1428 lbs, that's only a difference of 205 lbs, certainly not enough for 4 passengers (assuming 200lb for myself, and 150lb each for 3 family)

Am I completely screwed ?

Anyone know if getting the 'Heavy Duty Payload package' for the F-150 an a dealer upgrade is possible (I think I might have been reading the capacity with that upgrade before). It looks like the only difference between that package and the 'Max Trailer Tow package' I have on my truck is upgraded springs.
Personally I wouldn't do it so I upgraded to a 2 year old 2500HD Sierra from my 1/2 ton. It's up to you and your risk acceptance level. Of course then we didn't get a 5er, we got another travel trailer but I'm still not sorry. I'm sure another trailer upgrade is coming sometime.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #20

From experience I did this (not with a 5ver but a TT) where my payload was over maxed. The truck did fine with it for about three years and then the transmission decided it had enough. Of course by then it was out of warranty so the transmission replacement was on me.
Central Ohio

Tags
bed, ford, hitch