Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #21

Both guys were with they're wives so I am sure there was extra weight. The ford had the small V8 extended cab. He added airbags. That's all I know. The other guy had a Ram with the 400 hp Hemi and he also added airbags.
235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetanu539 View Post
From experience I did this (not with a 5ver but a TT) where my payload was over maxed. The truck did fine with it for about three years and then the transmission decided it had enough. Of course by then it was out of warranty so the transmission replacement was on me.
Interesting. I wonder what the difference is by having the extra weight on the behind the axle with a TT, rather than over the axle (ish) with a 5er.

How much were you over the payload limit, and was that mostly from the hitch weight ?
leefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Interesting. I wonder what the difference is by having the extra weight on the behind the axle with a TT, rather than over the axle (ish) with a 5er.

How much were you over the payload limit, and was that mostly from the hitch weight ?
It is hard to say exactly but with the tongue weight, the three passengers, and the supplies in the truck I would guess about 400 lbs maybe 500. Shorter trips we were probably just 100-200 but longer ones between the 400-500.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelsonfl View Post
Met a two guys in Middleberry a few days ago towing the 8265WS camper with a half ton and a guy towing a little heavier model 8280WS with the F150. Both told me no problems.
Our rig & truck is in our sig. Never had a problem flat towing or mountains. Simply put, the Ecoboost is a BEAST.

As for your hitch, my only concern is your short bed (we got the 6' bed)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #25

The majority of Signature Ultra-lites are under $8k. I have an F150 with a 6.5' box and a Reese 16K Titan hitch. I just had the rails installed at a reputable local hitch store (Stittsville Trailer) and when talking to them about the 5.5' box with the Revolution, they said they have installed them without any problems and do not foresee any problems with turning. Your Revolution is like installing a slider hitch in a short bed as it turns under the trailer and not in the bed of the truck. If you want to make sure, here is the formula for checking it out:

Use the formula below to ensure that there will be enough space between your truck cab and trailer when you are executing a 90-degree turn with the Sidewinder installed.

(A + B) - C = Clearance
A = Distance from center of 5th-wheel hitch jaw to truck cab in inches
B = Length of Sidewinder arm in inches (22")
C = Width of trailer in inches divided by 2

For example:
If you are using the 16,000-lb Sidewinder, then B = 22"
If the distance from the center of your hitch to your truck's cab is 36", then A = 36"
And if your fifth-wheel trailer is 102" wide, then C = 51"
102/2 = 51
Therefore,
(36 + 22) - 51 = 7" of clearance
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Our rig & truck is in our sig. Never had a problem flat towing or mountains. Simply put, the Ecoboost is a BEAST.

As for your hitch, my only concern is your short bed (we got the 6' bed)
Thanks for info. Your 5er hitch weight is 91lb lower than the 8281WS, and with the longer wheelbase and the Heavy Duty Payload Package your payload capacity is 2900lbs (830lb over the payload capacity listed for the shorter wheelbase, and 1267lb over what's actually listed in the door jam of my truck).

I can handle the 5.5ft bed (barely) from a length perspective, but the payload is now seeming like a real problem and a big mistake.

I really wanted the 6.5ft bed, but there are no 2015 F-150 Supercrew's with the 157" wheelbase available in the whole of the South-east (2 local dealers checked), and Ford have stopped taking orders for custom 2015's and haven't yet opened the books for 2016 orders
Old 07-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
The majority of Signature Ultra-lites are under $8k. I have an F150 with a 6.5' box and a Reese 16K Titan hitch. I just had the rails installed at a reputable local hitch store (Stittsville Trailer) and when talking to them about the 5.5' box with the Revolution, they said they have installed them without any problems and do not foresee any problems with turning. Your Revolution is like installing a slider hitch in a short bed as it turns under the trailer and not in the bed of the truck. If you want to make sure, here is the formula for checking it out:

Use the formula below to ensure that there will be enough space between your truck cab and trailer when you are executing a 90-degree turn with the Sidewinder installed.

(A + B) - C = Clearance
A = Distance from center of 5th-wheel hitch jaw to truck cab in inches
B = Length of Sidewinder arm in inches (22")
C = Width of trailer in inches divided by 2

For example:
If you are using the 16,000-lb Sidewinder, then B = 22"
If the distance from the center of your hitch to your truck's cab is 36", then A = 36"
And if your fifth-wheel trailer is 102" wide, then C = 51"
102/2 = 51
Therefore,
(36 + 22) - 51 = 7" of clearance
Unfortunately the distance from the back of the cab to the center of the axle is only 27.25" in the F150 SuperCrew with 145" wheelbase.
Since I understand that the king-pin center is normally located 1.5" forward of the axle center that's down to 25.75", add the 22" of the revolution/sidewinder is 47.75", just under the 48" half-width of the trailer, and certainly less than 4" clearance. But I plan to use a manual slider for tighter turns ... if the truck can even handle the payload weight.

I'm now wishing I'd gone for an F-250 or similar heavier-duty truck instead.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetanu539 View Post
It is hard to say exactly but with the tongue weight, the three passengers, and the supplies in the truck I would guess about 400 lbs maybe 500. Shorter trips we were probably just 100-200 but longer ones between the 400-500.
Thanks, I'm surprised that you went over the payload capacity with a travel-trailer since the tongue weight is usually so much lighter than the hitch weight of a 5er.

Fortunately (if I do keep the truck, and can't exchange it for something with a heavier payload capacity), I do have a lifetime powertrain warranty, and a 7 year everything-else warranty, from the dealer (so long as they don't claim that I voided the warranty by either installing the bed rails or towing something over capacity.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelsonfl View Post
Both guys were with they're wives so I am sure there was extra weight. The ford had the small V8 extended cab. He added airbags. That's all I know. The other guy had a Ram with the 400 hp Hemi and he also added airbags.
Can you explain what airbags are with relation to payload ?
Old 07-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #30

If the real payload max is 2070 lb, rather than the 1633 lb listed on the cab itself (not sure why this would be wrong though), then I'd still be at least 161 lb over with a lighter slider hitch and all 4 of us in the cab.

Can anyone clarify whether the max payload is purely hypothetical (e.g.: based on some regulatory restrictions), or is genuinely based on the structural integrity of the chassis, or the capacity of the suspension etc ?

If the former then I really don't care, if the latter then I assume that there's some margin-of-error built-in, but am a lot more concerned.

Also, anyone have any theories as to the discrepancies between the rating listed by ford online and what's listed on the cab ?
Old 07-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #31

Quote:
If the real payload max is 2070 lb, rather than the 1633 lb listed on the cab itself (not sure why this would be wrong though), then I'd still be at least 161 lb over with a lighter slider hitch and all 4 of us in the cab.

Can anyone clarify whether the max payload is purely hypothetical (e.g.: based on some regulatory restrictions), or is genuinely based on the structural integrity of the chassis, or the capacity of the suspension etc ?

If the former then I really don't care, if the latter then I assume that there's some margin-of-error built-in, but am a lot more concerned.

Also, anyone have any theories as to the discrepancies between the rating listed by ford online and what's listed on the cab ?
Online is "suggested capacity, sticker is computer Calc "as built"
Air bags help shift th load to the fwd axle. Another rating is the individual axle ratings. Surely your rear axle is way over in this config. IE: nose high.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #32

This must be your first Ford truck. The real payload is ALWAYS lower than the brochure.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
This must be your first Ford truck. The real payload is ALWAYS lower than the brochure.
Yes, first truck of any kind. Was towing our pop-up camper with my wife's Nissan Murano, and I was driving a sports sedan.

The dealer that sold the truck is supposedly trying to confirm whether I should be using the door sticker payload limit, or the listed payload limit for my chassis/cab/engine/wheelbase combo. (The generic F-150 payload is listed as 3300 max, but of course that's with the shortest wheelbase, and the standard cab, and the heavy duty payload package).

I'm just trying to determine if my real payload is 1633 lb or 2070 lb, and regardless of which it is whether it's safe to exceed that payload, based on whether it's just some formulaic number, or genuinely based on the actual capabilities of the truck.
The only options on the truck that add to the weight are the 20" wheels (instead of the 18" standard) tho they should affect the payload since they're not loading down the chassis/springs (tho' could affect the towing limit), the moonroof (since glass is a bit heavier than aluminum, but not that much), and the axle ratio (tho' I'm sure the diff gears shouldn't affect the axle weight limit much). Nothing explains the 1633 capacity.
I'm not sure if either rating are supposed to allow for a 150lb driver (which I've read elsewhere), If so then if the real limit is 2070lb then we'd only be a couple of pounds over the limit and I'm not worried, otherwise I don't know what the heck to do now.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Online is "suggested capacity, sticker is computer Calc "as built"
Air bags help shift th load to the fwd axle. Another rating is the individual axle ratings. Surely your rear axle is way over in this config. IE: nose high.
The online ratio is specifically based on the F-150, CrewCab, 145" wheelbase and the 3.5L V6 twinturbo ecoboost engine. None of the optional extras would account for that much difference (extended moonroof 20" vs 18" wheels/tires, drop-in bedliner, increased axle ratio with locking diff, extended fuel tank (36 gallon vs 23 gallon).

As far as I can work out the difference would be at most 20lb (moonroof), wheels/tires 0lb (affects towing capacity but not payload since not loading suspension), bedliner 30lb ? (tho' I could happily remove that if it made the difference), extended fuel tank (maybe 20lb for the larger tank itself ?, and 7lb/gallon for the extra fuel) 111lb, so perhaps 161lb difference, not the 437lb difference listed.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #35

The payload is calculated with a full tank of fuel and 150 lb driver.

I'm not trying to ruin your life but I was told that what it says on the door of the truck is the payload for that truck regardless of what it says on the internet. Do you have LT or P rated tires? Tire size on the tire would start with LT if it's a truck tire, like LT265/60R20 or something. Maybe LT tires would help increase your payload?

I don't think airbags will increase your payload, at least that's what I was told.

Take your truck to a truck stop and weigh it with whatever you expect to be in it when you pull your trailer. Full tank of fuel, passengers, tools, coolers full of cold beverages, firewood, chairs, etc. Subtract that weight from the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) on your door sticker and that's your payload capacity for your trailer.

I never believe anything a dealer tells me truck or RV when it comes to towing capacity.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to B and B
OP.
I had a 2013 Screw with 5 1/2 ft box. I used the revolution, a Reese Elite with pucks! I could turn 90 degrees. I was able to tow no problem. The hitch was mounted right over the wheels like it was suppose to be done, the underbed mount bolted right in.

As as load capacity, it handled it. I would still have the truck but I was offered a great deal and great trade.

I also had a King Ranch optioned to the Max. And 20 inch wheels with LT tires at 65 PSI.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #37

When I bought my 2012 F-150 Eco-boost with full towing capacity (11,300#), but with the short (5 1/2') bed, my RV dealer told me most firmly that I could not go with a 5th wheel under any circumstances or design "features." I've towed a 9,500# (loaded) tow-behind with a Hensley Arrow hitch all over the western USA & southern Canada from south Texas with no problems whatsoever. If you go with a 5th wheel get a truck with a longer bed. If you stay with a short bed get a tow-behind with a Hensley!!
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #38

I have a 2014 rockwood signature ultra light 8289 5th wheel. Dry weight is 8004. I pull it with 5.6 inch bed 2011 Toyota Tundra Maxi Cab with trailering package. I was concerned when they had to mount the hitch 1.5 inches forward of center in box but no issues. The revolution hitch is the greatest. I was told you could not use the slide hitch with revolution but for me no issue cause I don't need it.
Bobisgolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #39

Quote:
The 7 inch clearance is when using the Reese 16K manual slider, in addition to the SideWinder/Revolution, correct ?
(otherwise with just the SideWinder/Revolution and a fixed hitch the clearance would be negative with the hitch mounted 1.5" forward)

Is the hitch the square tube slider ?
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/Reese/RP30051.html

or the round tube slider ?
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/Reese/RP30075.html

Thanks so much for your help
My bad! Was in hurry when posted. Mine is the 6.8' bed and it is with just the standard hitch and the Reese Revolution. I went and measured and it has 12 inches of clearance. The 7" came from another truck. I also didn't notice you had the 150. Sorry for the confusion. It actually doesn't change the pin load on the hitch, just moves the pivot point back. Gives more clearance to the side of the truck for the pinbox as the pivot is under the mounting point on the camper. For what it is worth in your situation I would get the autoslider as you will have trouble making turns in tight areas and bet you will forget to get out and move the slider back manually. Been there done that. Even with the 2 inchs of clearance you can still make a 90 degree turn. Close yes but it should work.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #40

If I can persuade them to do so I think I'm going to try to get the Ford dealership to let me "upgrade" the F150 (which I only bought at the weekend) for an F250 (despite it not having some of the nice features of the F150, and having much worse fuel economy) since it has a much higher payload capacity, and wouldn't have any issue towing the fifth wheel.

If the dealer can oblige me then I'll give them a big rave review here. They've been very helpful thus far, so I'm hoping they might pull through for me.

I'll report tomorrow on what they say.
In the meantime any other thoughts or suggestions are always welcome

Tags
bed, ford, hitch