Old 07-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
We pull our Crusader 295RST with out 2012 F-150 Ecobeast, it is a HD Payload + Max Tow combo though. It'll pull the gates off hell....

Your ability to safely pull that sort of weight TT will depend on the build of your truck. You'll not want for power, but you'll have to watch your RAWR and payload.
Exactly!

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #42

I am seriously considering an EcoBoost to pull my 9500# fifth wheel, and there are guys pulling them with regular Dodge and Chev 1/2 tons.
So I don't think you have much to worry about!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #43

Dan.. We pull a 30' Rockwood TT. Max weight about 6500lbs. Equalizer 4 hitch. We have a 2013 F-150 ECO with the 3.73 super cab. We just completed a trip of about 6000 miles with 4500 of them towing from FL to Canada and back.

Semi trucks. let me just say this. We traveled up I-81 in VA. Truck haven, no problem. All trucks will push and pull you some due to their bow wave but the truck and trailer handled it great. No sway.

I was not obviously in the Rockies but I did have some hilly terrain of the Appalachians. No problem, ran on cruise control most of trip. The truck remained in 6th gear unless it had to mount a hill. Was well behaved.

Let me warn you though about cruise control on steep down grades. Don't use it. The 3.73 and the EcoBoost engine does not have much back pressure to use for braking on downhill slopes. It has some but if you leave the CC on it will downshift to 2nd gear eventually and really rev your engine. Kick CC off and use the manual select on the side of the shift knob along with brakes as needed.

Drive 60 MPH max. Set the cruise and enjoy yourself. I was passed by plenty of idiots with big trucks pulling their TT or fifth wheels and 70+. Tires, tires, tires,....

I never was white knuckled and actually forgot about the TT being there. Very little wear and tear on myself.

I got in the mid 9mpg.

As for the big mirrors, etrailer sells mirrors that are made for the F-150 that slide onto your existing mirrors. I highly recommend them.

Hey, have fun, love your truck and I am very pleased with mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0003.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	35289  

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #44
Canadian Member

Daniel, I wasn't trying to knock down your choice and ruin your happy day. Sorry if it came across that way.

When you said "maxed out at 8000 lbs," I took that to mean your trailer weighed 8000 lbs. loaded. If that were the case, you could be pushing one or two of the truck's max. numbers without the max. tow package. My personal experience having 5 family members in the truck is that payload is the easiest number to go over.

From some other subsequent posts, it sounds like Ford has improved the load specs on the newer F150s. Kudos to Ford for that.

If you're under all the max. numbers of your Ecoboost, it's only a matter of comfort level which will be different for everyone.

Enjoy the new Ecoboost and the new trailer!
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
I am seriously considering an EcoBoost to pull my 9500# fifth wheel, and there are guys pulling them with regular Dodge and Chev 1/2 tons.
So I don't think you have much to worry about!
Around the time of purchasing our Eco last year I would make the point of chatting up guys hooked up to trailers. One particular Eco I remember well at a gas station. The Eco was hooked up to a long metal utility trailer and it was carrying a small front loader in addition to sod, rock and enough tools to fill all our workshops! I asked him "any chance you know how heavy you are". He said "I know I'm over 11,000 lbs, but I don't know by how much. Gas mileage sucks but I can always pull it"

Congrats on your truck Danielflading!

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #46

Congrats on your new Ecoboost! It's a nice looking truck! But, then, it does look just like mine . We have been pulling our Palomino Elite Ultra-Light (6,250 lbs empty) for the last 2 years with no problems. The trailer is 33 ft. long and when we load all our stuff, it gets up to around 8,000 lbs. And then there's the fact that I use this truck as my "every day" vehicle. Love the gas mileage! ENJOY!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Let me warn you though about cruise control on steep down grades. Don't use it. The 3.73 and the EcoBoost engine does not have much back pressure to use for braking on downhill slopes. It has some but if you leave the CC on it will downshift to 2nd gear eventually and really rev your engine. Kick CC off and use the manual select on the side of the shift knob along with brakes as needed.

Drive 60 MPH max. Set the cruise and enjoy yourself. I was passed by plenty of idiots with big trucks pulling their TT or fifth wheels and 70+. Tires, tires, tires,....

I never was white knuckled and actually forgot about the TT being there. Very little wear and tear on myself.

I got in the mid 9mpg.
Yes, that is the one thing I don't like about my Eco, severe lack of compression braking on downhills.

I tow at 60 mph with the cruise on unless it is hilly. Then I kick it off and use the downhill momentum for climbing the next hill. 60 mpg tow is relaxing and definitely better gas mileage. I get 11 mpg towing on virtually every trip; many around 3,000 miles. My trailer may be lighter and lower profile than most.

60 mph is only 1,650 RPM in 6th with 3.73's. It is amazing the hills it will climb in 6th even at this relatively low rpm. Nice torque.

And in summer weather, I average over 20 mpg unloaded. Mix of 40% suburban and 60% highway. 21 mpg highway at 65 mph unless it is windy.

My truck is 18 months old now with 28M miles. Zero issues. Just standard maintenance.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Daniel, I wasn't trying to knock down your choice and ruin your happy day. Sorry if it came across that way.

When you said "maxed out at 8000 lbs," I took that to mean your trailer weighed 8000 lbs. loaded. If that were the case, you could be pushing one or two of the truck's max. numbers without the max. tow package. My personal experience having 5 family members in the truck is that payload is the easiest number to go over.

From some other subsequent posts, it sounds like Ford has improved the load specs on the newer F150s. Kudos to Ford for that.

If you're under all the max. numbers of your Ecoboost, it's only a matter of comfort level which will be different for everyone.

Enjoy the new Ecoboost and the new trailer!
New truck, same TT. Thanks for the response and no hard feelings here. Everyone have a great weekend!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #49

Towed the camper back to storage today and in just a short trip I can already tell a difference in the towing ability of this truck over the expedition we traded in. The backup camera is a great addition now the wife can relax, no more misdirections from her. Lol.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
I am going to replace the expedition for a new tow vehicle and daily driver. Lets hear it from the Ecoboost owners with a 30ft TT and a 8k lb load.
Also considering an F250 6.2L gas.

Thank you all!
You will need the Max Tow Package. This is recomended by ford for any trailer over 5000# with the F-150 ecoboost.

Jack