Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnickle Fritz View Post
No matter what you do, you'll always have to manage what you put in your camper and especially what you put in the bed of the truck. The payload will always be at least 1,500 pounds less than the F-250. The Ecoboost no matter how cool, will always be at least 1,000 pounds lighter than the F-250, meaning those 18 wheelers you meet on your way to the campground will move you across your lane, even if you don't have lane to move in.

YMMV
This is not true. Check the specs for F-150's equipped with Max Tow and HD payload/suspension on the longer wheelbase. Give the set-up "E" rated tires and the handling improves. My payload is just under 2500lbs. Large trucks do not move me across my lane.

If your trailer is only hooked up to the truck 2-3 weeks of the year, there are also other considerations that affect your truck decision like fuel economy.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
This is not true. Check the specs for F-150's equipped with Max Tow and HD payload/suspension on the longer wheelbase. Give the set-up "E" rated tires and the handling improves. My payload is just under 2500lbs. Large trucks do not move me across my lane.

If your trailer is only hooked up to the truck 2-3 weeks of the year, there are also other considerations that affect your truck decision like fuel economy.

Thanks for correcting the previous misinformation.
While a 250 would always be preferable all things being equal, the F150 EcoBoost does a superb job of what it was designed for.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #23

X2 with shnickle fritz. I'm impressed with the eco. I thought I researched things real good when I ordered my truck. I could not get the heavy payload option at the time. As it turns out, even though it handles and pulls great, I'm overloaded on the back wheels because I have a large family. This may even be an issue with a 3/4, but it's still more truck. If I was to be a steady camper, I would go 3/4 and diesel rather than being loaded to hills. Fortunately or unfortunately, we can only camp when we have a spare moment and most years this is never or I will drop off the trailer for the family. This year, I'll probably put 500 miles on the camper. The eco will do fine with some fine tuning. See my post on suggestions to get weight off the rear axle. That is the weight issue I have when we are all together.
saskrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #24

Quote:

You chose to leave this part of my statement out:

"The money to purchase a well equipped (read max-tow, max payload) F-150 Ecoboost will be VERY close to the money you'll pay for the F-250."

Why buy an ecoboost F-150 when you can purchase an equivalent F-250 for essentially the same money? If your answer is 2 or 3 MPG, then get the ecoboost.

Like I said, I love the Ecoboost. GREAT engine, Great Truck.

In my case it was maxed out on the rear axel. I chose to invest in my peace of mind and well being.

I could have continued with my Ecoboost. I chose not to. Maybe in my advancing years I think of things like safety for myself and my passenger(s) and others on the roads more than I did in my youth.

In the end, I could have continued to walk on the edge but chose not to do that. I could have convinced myself I could always make it work safely. But then I know it only takes one fleeting moment to fall off the edge.

I sometimes have to remind myself:

Denial is not a river in Egypt.
Schnickle Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #25

Quote:

That's a good one!
Who comes up with these sayings?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #26

Test drove the Ecoboost and also a 5.0 f150 today. Loved the backup camera and the integrated trailer brake controller. If I go with another Ford it would be the Ecoboost and would be my 5th ford truck in a row. Offering me one for about 25k after trade in and incentives. Now that has me thinking. Sticker price is 42k with 35% off. What do you guys think?
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #27

Quote:

You chose to leave this part of my statement out:

"The money to purchase a well equipped (read max-tow, max payload) F-150 Ecoboost will be VERY close to the money you'll pay for the F-250."

Why buy an ecoboost F-150 when you can purchase an equivalent F-250 for essentially the same money? If your answer is 2 or 3 MPG, then get the ecoboost.

Like I said, I love the Ecoboost. GREAT engine, Great Truck.

In my case it was maxed out on the rear axel. I chose to invest in my peace of mind and well being.

I could have continued with my Ecoboost. I chose not to. Maybe in my advancing years I think of things like safety for myself and my passenger(s) and others on the roads more than I did in my youth.

In the end, I could have continued to walk on the edge but chose not to do that. I could have convinced myself I could always make it work safely. But then I know it only takes one fleeting moment to fall off the edge.

I sometimes have to remind myself:

Well the Ecoboost sticker is 42k the f250 is close to 60k at the dealer I visited today. Ill go the F150 option if I buy new and the F250 has less rear seat leg room and smaller rear doors. I thought that was strange to have less room in a bigger truck.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
Well the Ecoboost sticker is 42k the f250 is close to 60k at the dealer I visited today. Ill go the F150 option if I buy new and the F250 has less rear seat leg room and smaller rear doors. I thought that was strange to have less room in a bigger truck.
Yes, you are right on! Grab the incentives, enjoy the power in your EcoBoost and money saved off the sticker price.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Yes, you are right on! Grab the incentives, enjoy the power in your EcoBoost and money saved off the sticker price.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #30
Always Learning

Quote:
Test drove the Ecoboost and also a 5.0 f150 today. Loved the backup camera and the integrated trailer brake controller. If I go with another Ford it would be the Ecoboost and would be my 5th ford truck in a row. Offering me one for about 25k after trade in and incentives. Now that has me thinking. Sticker price is 42k with 35% off. What do you guys think?
Given the Ecoboost that they have on their lot that they're trying to sell- how is it on payload capacity for carrying the camper that you have? Carrying the camper, your family, your stuff and hitch weight - will it be under GVWR? If over, will it (at least) be under rear axle weights and tire load capacities?

(I'm not knocking the Ecoboost or anything- just something to think about. Another member switched from a Tacoma to an Ecoboost and is still butting up against his limits and sounded frustrated in one of his posts.)
Old 07-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Given the Ecoboost that they have on their lot that they're trying to sell- how is it on payload capacity for carrying the camper that you have? Carrying the camper, your family, your stuff and hitch weight - will it be under GVWR? If over, will it (at least) be under rear axle weights and tire load capacities?

(I'm not knocking the Ecoboost or anything- just something to think about. Another member switched from a Tacoma to an Ecoboost and is still butting up against his limits and sounded frustrated in one of his posts.)
I use a equalizer WDH and maxed out we hit 8k lbs towing. Tongue wt is 850 with loaded propane bottles and battery and power jack, I think that is well within the F150's abilities and my family will fit. We pack the camper not the truck so I think this would work.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #32

3.55 diff, short bed 4dr 152"? Wheel base I think he said. XLT Texas Edition, towing package. This is one of the largest volume ford truck dealers in Texas. Sticker price 42+K. Ill probably get the 3.73 diff if get the F150
Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #33

Picked this up today. Ecoboost 4x4 tow package, plenty for our needs

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3619103735.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	35276
Old 07-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #34
Canadian Member

You may have a tow package on your truck but unless Ford has changed the way they configure their F 150's, you don't have the max. tow package which, IMO, you should have for an 8000 lb trailer. If you had the max. towing package, you would have the large mirrors.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
You may have a tow package on your truck but unless Ford has changed the way they configure their F 150's, you don't have the max. tow package which, IMO, you should have for an 8000 lb trailer. If you had the max. towing package, you would have the large mirrors.
Your correct it is not the max tow package, I
am well aware of what I purchased. It will tow 9600 lbs as it is rated from the factory. Maxed out TT, Family members, and gear, is the 8k number I have. Truck is well capable of towing that. Thanks for trying to knock my happy day.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
If you had the max. towing package, you would have the large mirrors.
Only in 2011 was that a way to tell. My 2012 has max tow and no "large mirrors"

2012 F150 Ecoboost with Max Tow 3.73 Rear
2013 Puma 31DBTS
12K Equal-i-zer
Aquaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #37

Nice truck btw you're going to love that ecobeast! I know I sure love mine!

2012 F150 Ecoboost with Max Tow 3.73 Rear
2013 Puma 31DBTS
12K Equal-i-zer
Aquaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic View Post
Nice truck btw you're going to love that ecobeast! I know I sure love mine!
Thank you!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Picked this up today. Ecoboost 4x4 tow package, plenty for our needs

Attachment 35276
Beautiful truck, and don't worry about the ones trying to knock your choice.
You have a lot more truck than many pulling even more weight.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post

Beautiful truck, and don't worry about the ones trying to knock your choice.
You have a lot more truck than many pulling even more weight.
Thank you, we look forward to many camping trips and just scheduled our first one with this new truck