Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
I also recommend an Equalizer. I have almost 20,000 miles on this hitch and have never had to remove the bars when backing.
BTW: I haven't "backed" for 20,000.
Me too!
Old 09-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #42

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
A WDH transfers weight back to your steer axle. An airbag won't do that. Airbag is good for when you put heavy loads in the back of your bed. It's not so good for pulling a heavy tongue weight trailer.

I use a WDH for my boat trailer too. Makes a much more enjoyable towing experience.
I’m not knocking WDH Hitches, but airbags lift the truck up level so how is that not distributing the weight by keeping the trailer level. I also have airbags on my F250 and pull a 16000lb 5th wheel with it, the airbags bags lift the truck and trailer to a level towing position.
Two4Road54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #43

Need to understand WDH better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4Road54 View Post
I’m not knocking WDH Hitches, but airbags lift the truck up level so how is that not distributing the weight by keeping the trailer level. I also have airbags on my F250 and pull a 16000lb 5th wheel with it, the airbags bags lift the truck and trailer to a level towing position.
My hitch without WDH has a capacity of 500 lbs. With WDH, 1320. Lifting the rear of your truck with airbags does nothing to relieve the overweight condition on the rear axle (insert Rear axle gross weight rating) nor does it transfer the weight back to the steering axle which in turn makes your steering less effective and safe as with properly distributed weight. Some folks get lucky and hookup and go with no issues. Others, like me, have been battling weight distribution for several months refusing to spend 3K on a pro-pride or hensley.
2012 Rockwood Signature Ultralight
Every gadget in the book!
Girtski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #44

Find one yet?

To the original poster...

What is your location? A few weeks ago I installed a Hensley Arrow. I removed a 2 year old Blue Ox SwayPro 10,000 lb. I live in Western Mass, I am selling the Blue Ox, if you are interested let me know!
Misterpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4Road54 View Post
I’m not knocking WDH Hitches, but airbags lift the truck up level so how is that not distributing the weight by keeping the trailer level.
If you measure the weight on the axles, they are identical before and after you filling the airbags.

If you are pulling a 5th wheel, that works but we aren't talking 5th wheels in this conversation.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #46

Equalizer hitch is what I have.
You’ll need to get the correct one for your tough weight of course.
I have a 1500 Ram longhorn, 5.7L. and a 26’ trailer.
Trailer to lite, 4400 lb. I never know the trailer is back there!
The Equalizer hitch when properly setup will level your trailer, important, and bring the
front of your truck back down to earth for better steering control, and raise you trucks
back end up higher than you ever thought possible.
Setup needs to be done with the trailer fully loaded and ready with all the weight that might be where it needs to be on the trailer. Takes a while to setup up according to the manual, with patience, your rig will safely travel down the road,
Your at 5700lb. Dry weight.
6,000lb and a 1500 truck , trailer is heavier than the truck!?
No high speed traveling . 60mph is a good safe speed..
Be careful of a tail heavy trailer .
If the trailer is too tail heavy this could be an accident waiting to happen.
Sway control with these Equalizer hitch’s is great, but caution on being too tail heavy with toys in the back. Just my thoughts
Happy and safe camping.
Trimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #47

When I had my trailer - Equalizer!

Motorhome: 2016 Forest River Forester 3171DS
Toad: 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK Sport
willema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #48

From one loyal user.

As noted by Cowracer - a Hensley is in a different category. I had a 1996 Ford Explorer and a 30 ft Nomad (8,500 pounds fully loaded) that we would not use in winds above 10 mph and even with no wind on the expressways it was always white knuckles as trucks went by. The Hensley Arrow made a truly unbelievable difference. With the Hensley Arrow I totally stopped checking my mirrors to see if a truck was coming - only about 5% of the time did I ever even feel a very slight effect. I still use the Hensley with my 2005 Dodge Duarago 5.7 Hemi, yah, I know, really old, but man, it hauls beautifully with our new 32 foot V-Lite which has dual slides outs ---- and I would not use anything else. I've had to do a panic stop from 65 to avoid an idiot. And I've been surprised by a really rough railroad track around a curve – yes, we bounced but not even a hint that the trailer might come around sideways on us. The Hensley is not cheap by a long shot, but the results are very very real. And, no, I have absolutely no financial involvement with Hensley. Am I one of those brand loyal guys --- yes, because I had very bad results with the Ford/Nomad that were essentially eliminated by the Hensley Arrow.
rdavidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #49
Site Team

Trimman
"The Equalizer hitch when properly setup will level your trailer, important, and bring the

front of your truck back down to earth for better steering control, and raise you trucks

back end up higher than you ever thought possible."

This is not always true, especially if the owner is exceeding the vehicle's payload capacity. Seen it too many times.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #50

Titan owner here.

I have 2018 Titan 4x4. I also have a 2004 Titan. I did a lot of research and it came down to 2 models. The Blue Ox at around 650 and the Husky Centerline TS at round 270. I went cheap to see how much I use the trailer. I love the Husky driving as it controls the sway really well. Hooking and unhooking is the hard part but if hook up the truck then raise it up the arms go on and off ok. I have tried other WD hitches with antisway and wasn't impressed. The newer Titan has pretty good payload but the first inch or two settles pretty fast so adjusting the hitch can be a little challenging. I thought the Husky was pretty easy to get right. My other hitch I use on an enclosed car trailer and it performs poorly. It only had 2 points of pressure and many have 4 points like the Husky Centerline TS. Get the 4 type!
SailorDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #51

Note that with a toy hauler, you need to protect for times when towing with the bikes, and some times without. Bringing it home, in the empty condition, the trailer is designed to be quite tongue-heavy, under the assumption that you will put quite heavy things in the back. So, in the empty condition, you have 780/4500 = 17% tongue weight. That is more than the 10-15% recommended, but you will never travel like that again.

For times you go camping with the bikes, I'd estimate the loaded trailer will be about 6500 lbs, and hopefully with camping gear in the front and bikes riding gear in the back, you'll be around 12% or 780 lbs (funny how the TW stayed the same as dry!). Using a 1,000 lbs rated Equil-I-zer (or other quality WDH with integrated sway control) would be perfect.

However, for the few times you go camping without the bikes, I would estimate you will be at around 5300 lbs loaded (6500 minus the bikes). Heavy items like battery and propane can't be moved rearward, and the fridge/pantry is often over the axles. So you will be even more tongue-heavy than when dry, perhaps around 20%, putting you over the 1,000 lbs WDH kits. Even if you keep things under 1,000 lbs TW, being that close to the limit will likely tax the spring bars, acting more like springs and less like solid bars, making for a bouncy "porpoising" tow experience.

I recommend you contact Equal-I-zer customer service, and ask them to help you pick the right WDH kit. If my concerns are correct, they may recommend you go with the 1200 lbs kit.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #52

Here's my half-ton Titan with a Husky Centerline TS hitch. The Husky Centerline provides very effective, precise weight distribution and sway control (comparable with my previous hitch, a Hensley Arrow). Given the high cost of a Hensley, I'd recommend the Husky for a safe, relaxed towing experience. The hitch has also performed well in situations such as quick lane changes and hard braking.

Concerning OP's question related to leveling the load, this hitch has helped get my truck trailer combo about as level as it can get. Equalizer and Reese Steadi-Flex are other options if you choose a four-point style hitch (Husky Centerline TS included). Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Titan and Trailer Sept 2018.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	618.1 KB
ID:	214995  

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #53
Newbie- 21 FBRS

What size rig?

If you go to the equalizer website, they have a tool to enter your weights and it will tell you which size you need.
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/find-your-hitch-size
Coevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:45 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Note that with a toy hauler, you need to protect for times when towing with the bikes, and some times without. Bringing it home, in the empty condition, the trailer is designed to be quite tongue-heavy, under the assumption that you will put quite heavy things in the back. So, in the empty condition, you have 780/4500 = 17% tongue weight. That is more than the 10-15% recommended, but you will never travel like that again.

For times you go camping with the bikes, I'd estimate the loaded trailer will be about 6500 lbs, and hopefully with camping gear in the front and bikes riding gear in the back, you'll be around 12% or 780 lbs (funny how the TW stayed the same as dry!). Using a 1,000 lbs rated Equil-I-zer (or other quality WDH with integrated sway control) would be perfect.

However, for the few times you go camping without the bikes, I would estimate you will be at around 5300 lbs loaded (6500 minus the bikes). Heavy items like battery and propane can't be moved rearward, and the fridge/pantry is often over the axles. So you will be even more tongue-heavy than when dry, perhaps around 20%, putting you over the 1,000 lbs WDH kits. Even if you keep things under 1,000 lbs TW, being that close to the limit will likely tax the spring bars, acting more like springs and less like solid bars, making for a bouncy "porpoising" tow experience.

I recommend you contact Equal-I-zer customer service, and ask them to help you pick the right WDH kit. If my concerns are correct, they may recommend you go with the 1200 lbs kit.

I weigh the tongue every pull. Empty I have seen about 950lbs tongue weight...loaded 1500lbs. Last week with the pair of motorcycles I normally take and see tongue weights nearer 1500lbs I only had 1250 on the ball. The only significant difference in my load was I only took about 10 gallons of fresh water instead of being full and no bicycles on front of the trailer. I have never seen the tongue weight lower than the empty pull.

The NOBO trailer has a high ccc (like most toyhaulers) creating the potential for variable loadings affecting the tongue weight...Toyhaulers are a problem for sizing a wdh for the loading reasons being discussed and unfortunately I can't be very helpful for this issue because my truck doesn't require a wdh up to the 2000lbs maximum tongue weight so I don't use one. -But in a case where a truck requires a wdh for the tongue weight and a trailer that is going to see variable loads...I would suggest buying a wdh that is easily adjustable.

Tags
hitch, newbie