Old 09-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

Need recommendation on a load balancing hitch, newbie here on those types of hitches

I will need a load leveling hitch. I have no experience with them at all but I am using a Nissan Titan 4x4 1/2 ton full size pickup and I am well within my weight limits, and the truck is rated to pull 10,000lbs. The new NOBO 19.1 is 4500lbs with a 780lb tongue weight and its a toy hauler with 3300lb cargo capacity so I could be carrying up to 1200lbs of motorcycles in addition to the 4500lb dry weight of the trailer. I had no problem pulling it power wise from the dealer and had a little sway but the heavy hitch weight on a 4x4 causes more sag than a 2 wheel drive truck because of the added spring height. Can anyone recommend a hitch for that.

Like I said, I know nothing about these hitches, but its bowing down in the middle.

stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensatt View Post
I will need a load leveling hitch. I have no experience with them at all but I am using a Nissan Titan 4x4 1/2 ton full size pickup and I am well within my weight limits, and the truck is rated to pull 10,000lbs. The new NOBO 19.1 is 4500lbs with a 780lb tongue weight and its a toy hauler with 3300lb cargo capacity so I could be carrying up to 1200lbs of motorcycles in addition to the 4500lb dry weight of the trailer. I had no problem pulling it power wise from the dealer and had a little sway but the heavy hitch weight on a 4x4 causes more sag than a 2 wheel drive truck because of the added spring height. Can anyone recommend a hitch for that.

Like I said, I know nothing about these hitches, but its bowing down in the middle.
"load leveling" or "weight distributing"?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
llr

I like the Blue Ox Sway Pro. You tongue weight will probably be 1000-1200 loaded

The payload is generally what you run out of long before towing capacity. What is the payload of your truck?
Old 09-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
Broken Toe

You are about to be flooded with recommendations. All of which will be good, none of which will be really helpful for you, unless someone has your exact same setup.

Truth is (except for ProPride/Hensley), pretty much all WDH setups are simply variations on a theme. Most do the same thing of transferring some of your hitch weight from the rear wheels of your tow vehicle to the front. Most also have some sort of sway control either built in or available.

People here are pretty brand loyal, and will tout the advantages of Brand X over Brand Y. But in the end, the differences are so minor as to not matter. You really cant make a bad decision if you buy a name brand and install it properly.

Good luck!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #5

Blue Ox is good, but I really liked my Equalizer 4 point when I was pulling 26' and 7000 lbs of Jayco on the back of a Chevy Silverado 1500.
TheWolfPaq82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
You are about to be flooded with recommendations. All of which will be good, none of which will be really helpful for you, unless someone has your exact same setup.

Truth is (except for ProPride/Hensley), pretty much all WDH setups are simply variations on a theme. Most do the same thing of transferring some of your hitch weight from the rear wheels of your tow vehicle to the front. Most also have some sort of sway control either built in or available.

People here are pretty brand loyal, and will tout the advantages of Brand X over Brand Y. But in the end, the differences are so minor as to not matter. You really cant make a bad decision if you buy a name brand and install it properly.

Good luck!

Tim
Well......I do prefer sway control that doesn't have to be disconnected when you back up...as some models require you to do...to me...that's a Big difference.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #7

I also recommend an Equalizer. I have almost 20,000 miles on this hitch and have never had to remove the bars when backing.
BTW: I haven't "backed" for 20,000.
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2016(retirement): 669
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
Site Team

Another 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH fan.
American-made and great customer service.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #9
Multi-Slacker

Equalizer, Blue OX, Reese, Husky Centerline and Andersen seem to be the favorite hitches on this forum. Hensley and Propride, by all accounts, are vastly superior but also 5 times the price.

Watch the videos to see how each hitch hooks and unhooks, especially at off angles. We had (and still have for sale) a HUskly Centerline with 1200 lb bars. We switched to the Andersen because it is less than half the weight and far easier to hook & unhook.

Stick with one of the major brands and you will not go wrong.
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Andersen WDH / 2700 lb 2.5" Receiver

CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #10

My two cents go with the equalizer. Check out my recent post on the equalizer maintenance item. Also Iím towing with the 2006 Nissan titan. Towing 9000 pounds. With that said Iíve had other hitches and I can tell you the only thing you would be happier with would be something like the pro pride. Their big money worth every penny, go with the equalizer.
john5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Well......I do prefer sway control that doesn't have to be disconnected when you back up...as some models require you to do...to me...that's a Big difference.
Which ones require removal before backing? Not being argumentative... Just wondering, because I have never heard anything like that

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Which ones require removal before backing? Not being argumentative... Just wondering, because I have never heard anything like that

Tim
Usually the old school WDHs with add-on friction sway bars, require disconnecting the friction bar to back up.
Newer tech WDHs with integrated sway control don't have this issue.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #13

Quote:

I just had a Curt #17499 WDH w/integrated sway control installed for my 4,500lb TT, towed w/ 2017 F150 3.5L Eco FX4 Max Tow and Timbren SES. Itís rated at 800lb Tongue weight; 8,000lb Tow weight...the #17500 is rated higher.
I to, am new to towing trailers. I originally looked at the other top brands, but felt this kit was more user friendly for an old guy. However, the ball mount/hitch head weights 56 1/2lb...good luck
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:21 PM   #14

I used to back up with the friction sway control. You just had to careful if you backed up and jacknifed the trailer to the side with the sway control, you could bend it...which I eventually did.

I have an equilizer 4 now. Much better than the roundbar hitch I had before with the chains.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #15

They pretty much all look the same to me

So I am looking on Amazon and I can't see much difference between models that are name brand like the ones mentioned here and are around $500 and cheaper ones that are around $200+.

I didn't really understand how it works but someone mentioned it shifts load to front tires of your truck, so that answers that. I am not in a super hurry to buy it just yet as I am pretty poor after buying the trailer and so far the only trip planned in the next 2 months is Galveston Island which is 70 mile drive from Houston and I will have a 800lb bike in the back doing that which will probably lighten the tongue load.

The 2011 Nissan Titan Pro-4X I have tows the 25ft NOBO without any problems power wise. It just sags in the middle. Its a half ton truck so I assume that means the load capacity is 1000lbs dead weight in the back or on the hitch.

One thing I notice on the load distributing hitchs, is some models, usually the cheaper ones have short chains on each side where they attach to the A-Frame of the trailer tongue and the more expensive ones have solid metal bars.

One thing is for sure because of the 4x4 rise extra height on the back of the truck, I need to get one that has and adjustable height hitch that can be used for other things like a boat or small flat bed trailer without have to change out the whole hitch so being able to remove the bars and have just the hitch only with height adjustment would be a big plus.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #16

Quote:
So I am looking on Amazon and I can't see much difference between models that are name brand like the ones mentioned here and are around $500 and cheaper ones that are around $200+.

I didn't really understand how it works but someone mentioned it shifts load to front tires of your truck, so that answers that. I am not in a super hurry to buy it just yet as I am pretty poor after buying the trailer and so far the only trip planned in the next 2 months is Galveston Island which is 70 mile drive from Houston and I will have a 800lb bike in the back doing that which will probably lighten the tongue load.
It essentially lifts the hitch/tongue and transfers (restores) the weight that was lost to the front tires and also puts some extra weight onto the trailer tires.

Quote:
The 2011 Nissan Titan Pro-4X I have tows the 25ft NOBO without any problems power wise. It just sags in the middle. Its a half ton truck so I assume that means the load capacity is 1000lbs dead weight in the back or on the hitch.
Look at the yellow sticker on your driver door or frame. It has the CCC - Cargo Carrying Capacity

Quote:
One thing I notice on the load distributing hitchs, is some models, usually the cheaper ones have short chains on each side where they attach to the A-Frame of the trailer tongue and the more expensive ones have solid metal bars.
Some of the 'cheap' ones with chains have worked the best in my experience and are what other people I know still use with no issue. They just typically don't have sway control (never a problem that I've run into)

Quote:
One thing is for sure because of the 4x4 rise extra height on the back of the truck, I need to get one that has and adjustable height hitch that can be used for other things like a boat or small flat bed trailer without have to change out the whole hitch so being able to remove the bars and have just the hitch only with height adjustment would be a big plus.
You don't want to be adjusting a WDH over and over for different trailers. You're better off to run multiple hitches, and not all will need to be a WDH, that are preset for your truck to tow them.
1953 GMC 9314
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #17

Quote:

Tim
There are a few...not many...that do still require to be disconnected before backing up. Most of the new ones like Dan said don't have that stipulation anymore.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #18

Load rating to buy on weight distributing hitch

Thanks for all the good info.

One other thing , should I buy one thats just above the capacity I need or go for something much larger? I am seeing them come in literally 6 different capacity choices in just one brand. So the trailer is 25ft, 4500lbs with a 780lb tongue weight on a 2 5/16 ball.

I will only be needing this for the NOBO trailer. All the boats and other trailers I hook up, don't need any kind of weight distributing hitches because they are tiny in comparison.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for all the good info.

One other thing , should I buy one thats just above the capacity I need or go for something much larger? I am seeing them come in literally 6 different capacity choices in just one brand. So the trailer is 25ft, 4500lbs with a 780lb tongue weight on a 2 5/16 ball.

I will only be needing this for the NOBO trailer. All the boats and other trailers I hook up, don't need any kind of weight distributing hitches because they are tiny in comparison.
Our equalizer is the 1000/10000lb model and our TT has a GROSS WEIGHT of just under 7k and it's fully loaded on our long camping trips. Don't pay attention to empty weight, figure out how you'll likely be loaded. Your tongue weight should be around 12-15%. I personally find 15 to be on the high side, 12 works pretty good in my experience.
1953 GMC 9314
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Our equalizer is the 1000/10000lb model and our TT has a GROSS WEIGHT of just under 7k and it's fully loaded on our long camping trips. Don't pay attention to empty weight, figure out how you'll likely be loaded. Your tongue weight should be around 12-15%. I personally find 15 to be on the high side, 12 works pretty good in my experience.
This guy gave you the best information. Donít go cheap. The Equalizer 4 point is the only way to go!

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, newbie