Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2016, 06:12 AM   #1

Need recommendations for external braking

We're driving a 2016 FR Sunseeker (24 ft), towing a 2007 Jeep Wrangler, manual transmission. We need to invest in an auxiliary braking system and have absolutely no clue. Could you guys lend us some advice and guidance?

We were told all we had to do to tow the Jeep was unhook the battery and put it in neutral. So, that's what we have done in the past. This summer, however, we're going West, up and over some hefty mountain passes. We need to add the braking system. I'm confused, now, how we're going to hook everything up because I'm reading external braking systems run off the Jeep's battery. Now I'm confused with the battery issue, which braking system to buy, etc.

Please help!!! (Thanks in advance for your patience with us newbies and for your advice. Both are greatly appreciated.)
Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #2

There are many options

We, like you, have a FR MBS based Forester. We tow a 2015 Honda Fit manual transmission - a good bit lighter than the Jeep, but we installed an auxiliary braking system made by Blue Ox. Some folks don't like the portable systems like this (Blue Ox Patriot) and prefer the permanently installed systems like Invisibrake.

You will likely get a different opinion with each answer.

As far as charging your Jeep battery while towing, some folks just run the Toad every day to charge the battery. A fairly easy solution is to take advantage of the 12 volt pin on the 7 pin connector, install a Battery Buddy or something similar to the Toad. That is what we do with ours and the Toad battery is continually charged (and not overcharged) when the motorhome is running.

The bigger issue you need to deal with is the Curt controller at the rear of the motorhome. FR has issued a recall but there is no repair yet available. You need to enclose your controller in a weatherproof box of some sort to protect it from the elements - otherwise you risk having your brake and tail lights go out or stay on all the time - which also affects the lights on your Toad. Search "Curt Controller" on the forum or go to this link here
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #3

You are going to get as many replies as there are different braking units. Each have their own positives and negatives (very few have any real negatives)
We have an RVI2 system, along with their battery charger. Very simple to hook up initally, and then takes only 30 seconds to install and remove.
As an information suggestion, I would ask you to go the the RVI website, as they have one of the best vidio's about just what is needed for a brake install.
Pretty much all the removable type systems operate the same way, but the RVI site is VERY informative, and will answer 99% of your questions.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #4

Yes, you will get many different opinions regarding braking systems.

I towed a 2003 Wrangler for ten years and now tow a 2015 Wrangler. First you will need to decide between a permanently installed system or one that you set up in front of the driver's seat each time. Obviously the permanently installed one is easier because you don't do anything each time you tow, but they are difficult to install initially. Both require battery power and you will need to add a charge line from the RV. I use the permanently installed one and moved it to the new Jeep. There are many brands out there to choose from, mine is the US Gear Unified Brake, I don't think they are available any longer, I had some issues with mine and am not recommending it.

Regarding your description of how you set up your Jeep to tow, I am not sure if you are putting the transmission or transfer case in neutral. Here is what you should be doing:

Transfer case in neutral.
Manual transmission in gear, auto transmission in park.
Ignition in first position, off but not locked.

Important to have transmission in gear to keep it and transfer case input shaft from turning. The key in first position is important to unlock the steering wheel or you will be dragging the tires around turns, no need to disconnect battery as the key is not "on".

More detailed set up info here:
Flat Towing a Jeep® Wrangler | Quadratec
Old 12-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
Bill & Janet

I have used Blue Ox and now have RVI. I prefer the RVI system.
Check there web site https://rvibrake.com
km5xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #6

RVI2 for my Subaru Outback. Used for 3years now. They now have a new system. Can't comment on that one.
Save your money on the TPMS system and use the money for a TPMS system that will cover the coach and toad.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #7

We have 1 2014 FR 27' Forester. We tow a Suzuki Grand Vitara. We have the Unified Breaking system, and it has worked extremely well for us. Absolutely, no problems.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:44 PM   #8
Dahagen

Check out the RVi brake.....It is smaller than the others and hooks up easily. Used to have the big old Brake Pro but it kept breaking. With the RVi brake, while I am hooking up the hitch and light cable my wife hooks up the RVi brake. I tow a Suzuki Grand Vitara.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:53 AM   #9

A bit off your original question, but is your jeep 4 wheel drive? If so you may need to shift the transfer case to neutral when towing, not the transmission. Check your owners manual if not sure.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #10

Twice had a four-wheel lock-up in my Jeep Liberty with Blue Ox Patriot! First was a software problem for which the company accepted responsibility. (Overnighted me new one.) Second time was an overextension of actuator rod which locked it in full forward position. Then there is the constant hassle of hooking it up and aligning it, and finding a place to store it somewhere in the car when not in use. Oddly, its about the same price as a permanently installed system. I now have the permantly installed SMI Stay-in-Play. Flip a toggle switch and I'm on my way.