Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big earl View Post
Get a Pro - Pride hitch. I think it's the best made
Good Grief.

First time I ever heard of this. Googled it.

Is there no END to the millions of dollars a man has to spend to "just get away"??? WOW. This thing is expensive.

Why is it so expensive? What makes it worth that much????
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #22

its a 3 point anti sway hookup. Great for long trailers on half ton trucks.

No, there is no end to the $$$$. Camping is just like any other addiction.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
i use the adapter in my ford, and it is a little worn on the top, but no slop, as once you have the weight dist bars hooked up the upward pressure of the bars keeps the head from moving or ratteling at all....if i was pulling over 10k i might think about going to a 2.5 shank....but at this point, im using a clamp on bike hitch and it only fits the 2 inch shank.....if it aint broke then i aint messing with it....lol

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Im pulling 8500 lbs no problem with the gm spacer.
I was concerned at first so I called chevy and equalizer hitch co.. Both told me it would be fine and to try it.
I do like the idea of the 2 1/2 shank over the 2". But the gm spacer works fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #24

I second that, get a propride! Enjoy the duramax also. Love mine.
Hamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
It is.

I have much to learn.

Just got back from 2,000 mile trip (not with trailer this time). Ticks me off that you can't go to Pilot or whatever, and get fuel with the 'big boys'. They only take Fuelman and such cards. Other stations have ONE diesel pump, and I had to stand in line with all the county worker trucks at one spot!

But it better pull the house off the foundation...........

I have come across these many times, just go inside and pay. You will also find in truck lanes that you will see a smaller pump with no pay access directly across from the larger pump with the pay access. These pumps work in tandem with each other, you just use the o be for the side you need. If you need the off side (little pump) You pay for the big pump, take the pump off and lay it on the ground, walk over to the other side and use it. When done put both away. I was very confused by this at first. Also watch out as truck nozzles are bigger and I actually got one stuck in my f250. Of course this was at an extremely packed truck stop. Some wrestling got it out. These bigger nozzles pump faster so watch them very carefully.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #26

Quote:

But it better pull the house off the foundation...........
Umm, with 765 ft-lbs of torque you'd best be able to take the foundation too!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Umm, with 765 ft-lbs of torque you'd best be able to take the foundation too!

That's it?? Really?? Weak!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
That's it?? Really?? Weak!
Seriously. The new Cummins powered Rams are advertised at 800.

But seriously, my truck has 505 and pills my 11,415 dry camper quite well. I'd love to see how well one of the new ones does.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Seriously. The new Cummins powered Rams are advertised at 800.

And the fords are up to 840 I believe. Come on gm!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #30
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
And the fords are up to 840 I believe. Come on gm!

It's not how large the number is but how you transplant it to the rear wheels (man that sounded corny!)...look up YouTube videos of the Ike Gauntlet tow test for the big three...the "weak" torque GM truck sees the top first ,)

Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #31

I don't buy them videos for a second. You can always pick out whoever is doing the videos who they favor and want to win. All in all I think all three big mfgs make a good truck it boils down to personal preference and appearance from there.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #32

Hitch?

Quote:
Got one of the first 2015 Chevy 2500 w/ Duramax on the dealer's lot. Cool truck, will make coffee, discuss your troubles, talk in 50 languages, and tell you why you are lost!!!

What I need now, I suppose, is a new Class V weight distribution hitch. Truck has 2.5" receiver......old one isn't going to fit without an adapter sleeve, and I don't think that's a good idea.

A) What's the best place to get one?

B) What's the best one out there?

C) Anyone wanna buy a barely used 2" WDH?
I think this post is WAY OFF with (Engine) debates! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Also watch out as truck nozzles are bigger and I actually got one stuck in my f250. Of course this was at an extremely packed truck stop. Some wrestling got it out. These bigger nozzles pump faster so watch them very carefully.
A lot of the new "passenger" trucks won't even accept those nozzles at all, I am surprised you got it in there to start with.

When I had my 91 Dodge with the original 5.9l Cummins it would take the big nozzles with no issue. I used to stop at a country store on my way home from work, their pumps would fill the 30 gallon tank in that truck in under a minute!
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #34

765 will pull anything I got, and I'm still in a Chevy! No problems here.

That aside, back to the original problem (I've been out with Type B Flu!!! This SUCKS. I got the flu shot, and still got Type B last weekend. Just now able to move at all...).

The Titan Shank that is recommended above will not work. I've spent a zillion emails with ETrailer. He measured every part of this recommended shank. It appears it will fit inside my Husky RBH, but the hole to hole measurement won't fit!!!! My RBH has 2.5" center to center hole measurements, and the Titan Shank is 1 1/4" per Etrailer.

I would ASSUME (????) that this means that either A) The Titan shank has double the holes of the Husky shank, or B) the Husky shank is also 1 1/4" and just skipped two holes when bolted on. Until and unless I unbolt the whole thing, I can't know.

However, in either case, it appears that the Titan shank recommended above will work. ETrailer guy suggested I do not mix/match parts from different manufacturers because they haven't been tested together. It appears to me it's just a piece of iron, how could it not be ok? Besides, I can't find a Husky shank with a 2.5" receiver end that will fit my RBH.

Comments??????
Old 03-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #35

More complications.

Check this out. This guy has my same problem........

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: Looking for 2 1/2" WD Shank

So, do I need to start over? Now I wonder what is different between round bar and trunnion type? This is new to me..............
Old 03-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #36

All this for nothing, I assume. I just called the TT Dealer and he said "We have no idea why Chevy and Ford went to the 2.5" Class V receivers. Just use a sleeve and keep trucking with what you have"....

Somehow STILL makes me squirm, but ok...........ten bucks, and problem solved (I HOPE!). If not, someone can have the wreckage for scrap metal...........
Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #37
Oklahoma Proud

Quick question, could you make some pop can metal shims or maybe even thin cardboard like coke boxes to take up the slack.
I know, probably not what you would like ideally, but cheaper than a $2500 hitch for sure.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #38

Quote:
All this for nothing, I assume. I just called the TT Dealer and he said "We have no idea why Chevy and Ford went to the 2.5" Class V receivers. Just use a sleeve and keep trucking with what you have"....

Somehow STILL makes me squirm, but ok...........ten bucks, and problem solved (I HOPE!). If not, someone can have the wreckage for scrap metal...........
We have a 2.5" receiver on our Silverado 2500. It came with an adaptor sleeve already inside it (and the pin through it to hold the sleeve in even when the hitch part is not installed.) We use our WDH with the 2" shaft that we used on our 1500 Silverado. The sleeve has not been an issue, and after a year, shows no sign of wear. Both the Chevy dealer and our RV dealer assured me there is absolutely no problem with using the adaptor.

Maybe the manufacturers are going to a 2.5" receiver to tow the space shuttle, as we've all seen in commercials
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #39
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Quick question, could you make some pop can metal shims or maybe even thin cardboard like coke boxes to take up the slack.
I know, probably not what you would like ideally, but cheaper than a $2500 hitch for sure.

Oh and this was meant to be used In conjuction with your adaper sleeve, sorry if it was confusing. Just meant to use shims between hitch and adapter, and adapter and receiver.

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #40

Everyone tells me that if/when the sleeve is in, and under tension from TT being hooked up, it won't be loose. I called TT dealer, and he said "We have no idea why Chevy and Ford changed to 2.5" receivers. Just use the adapter sleeve and keep on trucking".

So, ten bucks is all I guess I'll spend. We shall see what we shall see.

Tags