Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #41

Well...the 2.5" is rated for more.. (17k vs 13k)...

I lost my stupid adapter the first week I had my truck...lol...now I have 2 and a spare.... (or 1 and 2 spares.....? )

With my head in and no load it bangs around something loud....sounds like the tailgate slamming shut....

In 3 years of towing with it I have never heard it...and it looks the same save for the shank showing some paint rubbing off the top...

My trailer is just under 10k....I was going to swith to a 2.5 shank when I got a longer drop shank....but I couldent find one that worked with my husky head...then I remembered my clamp on bike rack only fits a 2" also....so I just stuck with the adapter. ..

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #42

After long discussions here and with many folks, I've decided to just try the adapter sleeve and see how it works. Ten buck fix.

The truck pulls more than a TT though. It pulls that far less than it pulls my boat and my ATV utility trailer. For those, which both use 2" ball, I have a 2.5" shank. So no rattle or problems there.

Then, when I get around to going camping (IF I EVER DO!!! SHEESH), I will use the adapter sleeve for the Husky WDH.

If for whatever reason that doesn't work, or I'm not comfortable with it, I'll get a 2.5" shank and whatever hitch it takes to fit it, at that point. I'm pulling a 5800 lb (dry) + contents trailer, so the 13K vs 17K is not much issue for me.

Thanks for all the input.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #43

Thats exactlt what I do with the other trailers...have a 10" drop hitch 2.5 shank...it still rattles a little anyway. ..!!

Have not felt the need to switch the tt hitch out, and lose my clamp on bike rack in the process. ...tows my trailer just fine so far...

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #44

Do some checking on your hitch. I don't know about 2015, but earlier models have a hitch that is not up to the job. Guys on the Duramax forum have several posts about this, at least for earlier model years. Any way, I bought a Reese. It is a clas IV rated for more than my truck is rated to pull and has a 2 inch reciever. Even though I pull a 7,000 lb trailer I can tell the difference. The original hitch felt "flexie". The Reese feel solid.

It is possible GM has changed things, but I doubt it.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags