Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #1

Negative - Houston Chevy dealer

I just had a most disappointing discussion with a Chevy dealer in Houston. I called to inquire about a used Duramax they had listed on their website and asked how far would they be willing to drive the truck to my mechanics shop for an inspection. Their answer? "We don't allow third party inspections of our vehicles. We are an honest dealer and our shop inspects all of our vehicles." (Note: the online reviews for this dealer and their shop are not all that great. But I figured a good report by an independent shop could/would balance that out)

So I asked, since you've inspected this truck, what are the injector balance rate readings? The answer? "We don't know but it's not throwing any codes so they must be okay."

I thanked him and hung up. Too bad - it looked like a nice rig. I guess they depend on the uniformed and gullible to make a sale.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #2

Asking a dealer to drive it to your mechanic seems to be a stretch on what dealer would be willing to do.
Why not meet your mechanic at the dealer to do the inspection?
Old 06-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #3

Hmm mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I see the OPS point of view, but on the other hand, I see the dealers Point of view. I mean they don't know your mechanic, if he crosses a wire trying to check something, or breaks off a bolt (all hypothetical of course!) then the dealer likely loses the sale and has to fix the truck.. Like posted above, maybe your mechanic can work with the dealer techs to verify the state of the truck. If your serious about buying the truck if it checks out, then tell the dealer you'll pay the techs rate for 1/2 the time it takes. Good duramax's typically don't last long if priced good and he can probably sell it easy enough.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Asking a dealer to drive it to your mechanic seems to be a stretch on what dealer would be willing to do.
My thoughts also.
NEVER heard of a customer wanting a dealer to deliver the vehicle, to the customer's mechanic.
Have seen the customer get their mechanic to go with them, to look at the vehicle.at the lot.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #5

Everyone - EVERYONE - tells you to have a mechanic inspect a used vehicle BEFORE you buy.

I have talked to dealers that have no problem with your mechanic inspecting on their lot but they will not
allow them to use the shop to put it on a lift or use their equipment. The reason given is usually liability issues. How do you check tie rods and ball joints and running gear, etc. if you can't get it on a lift? Without it taking all day?

I have dealt with dealers that have no problem with driving a short distance to an independent shop. They deliver because they want their driver, not you, behind the wheel of their vehicle. Dealers in Tacoma, WA, Eugene, OR, and Lewiston, ID have okayed this for me.

I have NEVER before had a dealer refuse to allow ANY third party inspection, period - on their lot or off.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
How do you check tie rods and ball joints and running gear if you can't get it on a lift? Without it taking all day?
I always use a floor jack and wood for spacer, usually would take me about 5 minutes to get the truck in the air and inspect tie-rod ends / ball joints for looseness etc.. The only thing that would bother me is checking the injectors, etc...I don't have enough knowledge to speak about that as I'm on my first diesel ownership right now.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #7

Never heard of a used car inspection looking at balance rates, not all technicians know how to read them never mind a used car guy.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #8

I have to agree with Gastan…..it's your money, so you should feel good about what you are buying....if they don't want to co-operate then just walk away - as you seem to have done.

Dealers that have nothing to hide, should not have a problem with at least letting your mechanic inspect it on their site.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #9

Quote:
It appears the OP is in Oregon, the dealer in Texas.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #10

I guess I'm not good at making myself clear. Or people just aren't reading what I wrote.
Take my mechanic with me to the lot? The answer from the dealer was,
"We do not allow third party inspections of our vehicles." Period. Full stop.
In other words, trust us, we have a bridge to sell you. They could have said, we won't let you take it anywhere but your mechanic can come here. They did not. As stated previously, I have never before had a dealer, new or used, flat-out refuse an outside inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
Never heard of a used car inspection looking at balance rates, not all technicians know how to read them never mind a used car guy.
If you are using a new car dealers full service shop - or any reputable, certified ASE mechanics, full service shop, and they don't know how to get/use/interpret injector balance readouts, I respectfully suggest you find another shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
True. The shop I had planned to use (a diesel shop) has over 300 five star reviews, has been in business over 45 years, has all ASE certified mechanics, and is less than 10 miles from the dealer.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
less than 10 miles from the dealer.
Less than 10 miles in Houston..... That's a lot of distance in Houston. You have to remember that we're a huge city and 10 miles of city streets mean a significant time factor to get anywhere.

But putting the time factor aside, it would be a significant cost for them to transport it to another shop and if they won't allow third party inspections, it's probably an insurance issue.

You'd have to depend on buying a warranty and that's always a risk. Probably best you passed on the deal.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:46 PM   #12

Quote:
"We do not allow third party inspections of our vehicles." Period. Full stop.
I read what you wrote and I understood that to mean they will not accommodate your request to drive it to an independent shop.
Having a mechanic inspect the truck at the dealer, while you are present, is not a third party.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #13

Had a guy want me to take a car I was selling to a mechanic across town for an inspection. Sold it to the next in line. Same will happen in this instance.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #14

I usually take it for an extended test drive and drive it to the mechanic's shop. Dont ask dont tell.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #15

I get your point but it sounds like it's the dealerships policy of take it or leave it they have left you with a choice to move forward or not on the sale. I'm sure they really don't care that they are losing you as a potential customer.....Not much you can do about other then to vent on the forum.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #16
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post

Were I the dealer I would not go there either! But maybe the OP has a mechanic in mind in Texas? If the dealer has a certified vehicle for sale there is usually a limited warranty available. And depending on the state law, a return policy in a few days giving him time to check it out. Me thinks the Sparky is going overboard here.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #17
waybeck2018

Quote:
I read what you wrote and I understood that to mean they will not accommodate your request to drive it to an independent shop.
Having a mechanic inspect the truck at the dealer, while you are present, is not a third party.

If it is someone OTHER than their employee it IS a third party. And with that said, a copy of the third party Certificate of Insurance Liability would be required.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #18

I do not think that is to much to ask from a large dealership. They have lot lizards on staff for things like this. A good salesman would do it to get the sale. Piece of mind goes a long way. Even the best inspection can not prevent something from failing tomorrow.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer