Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2016, 07:46 PM   #21

I'd never own any Fiat-Chrysler product, even if I was given one... I retired from a company that supplied 80% of the steel they use for under sheet metal components like axle tubes, suspension parts and frame rails and I can tell you from experience their QC standards suck. Been there seen it, many times.

We sold every automaker and the top to the bottom as far as quality outsourcing from the most particular to the least was:

Honda
Nissan
Toyota
Kubota (we sold Kubota Tractor high strength sheet for their NA fabrication plant and Titan Wheel
Ford
General Motors
Fiat-Chrysler

I dealt with this stuff for 30 years. I know what is underneath the sheet metal and how good or bad it really is...

I like em all but I won't buy 'em all.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
We go to AZ once a year for spring training baseball (about a week) then maybe 2 more weeks during the year to Bishop/June Lake for some fishing. We also just moved to Northern CA up in the mountains. So i am hoping to save some $ on fuel cost's thinking the gasser will get better MPG( i know it will be worse towing) running in to town/church/VA. Those short 6 to 20 mile jaunts. Could be wrong. If so i'll keep the 2500.
You will be able to buy A LOT of fuel for the difference in price between the two vehicles. MY advice is to keep what you have.

I had an 06 ford F250 Gasser (5.4 triton) and just traded for an 08 Chevy 2500HD with a Duramax. I get better fuel mileage with the Diesel than I ever did with the gasser even when not towing.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #23

TV = Tow Vehicle (truck or what's towing the trailer), TT = Travel Trailer, GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Registered, PL = Pay Load, 5er = fifth wheel. I apologize, I forgot the hitch is somewhere 100, all numbers are pounds. So now you're down to about 700 PL for you, wife and kids if TV is a quad cab (4 door). If the added anything else, the PL sticker on the frame is reduced, again weigh to get the true picture.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
How does changing from a diesel truck to a gas truck help a medical condition? Just curious!
I surmise that a change of health resulted in a change of vehicle needs due to a change of lifestyle. E.g., more local non-towing trips and fewer long-distance towing trips. Swapping a diesel for a gasser rather than adding a cheap small car may be in the interest of making it a cash-neutral deal.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #25

Seems like a lot of the suspension options are not available on the 1500's.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Seems like a lot of the suspension options are not available on the 1500's.
Correct as they made the ride softer. More half tons are used as grocery getters than ever before. Many are used around the house to haul bulky items or something like mulch to keep the car clean.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #27

I have driving a lot of TV's and the ford was great at its time, have had 2 "Fiats" Dodge's now and I absolutely love them, back in the day I was looking for a minivan when the kids were new, looked at Dodge's Chevy's and Fords both Dodges and chevys just didn't cut the mustard but the Ford worded well, after that in the early 2000's started looking at Dodges again their stuff works well.
The 2012 Dodge diesel I have now is ahead of the class as far as a Truck goes.
JMHA.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #28

Well after looking and asking sales people i have decided to stay with my 2500. Thanks for all the input.
Side note (and this will shock you) Fleet manager at Folsom Dodge said as much as i would like to sell you a truck with your trailer i recommend you stay where you are.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Well after looking and asking sales people i have decided to stay with my 2500. Thanks for all the input.
Side note (and this will shock you) Fleet manager at Folsom Dodge said as much as i would like to sell you a truck with your trailer i recommend you stay where you are.
Now that you have just saved a small fortune, what are you going buy?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #30

Nothing i'm broke.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote