Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 11:29 PM   #1

New 2104S/21D

Hi everyone. I am going to be purchasing a new Flagstaff 21D or Rockwood 2104S in 1 to 2 months. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer with towing package, V6, 4.0/245, 254 Torque @ 3700 RPMs. With a Weight Distribution Hitch, I can tow 6740 lbs. Will I be ok to tow up hills without any problems? I am planning on living in the TT and just live out my life seeing our beautiful USA. Thanks in advance
LarryLenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Having owned a similar Explorer, with the same engine, I'd say don't do it. Especially since you'll be towing through mountains.
Where did you get the 6740lbs number? The 2002 Ford Towing guide states the absolute max is 5940lbs IF it has the 3.73 rear end, 4x2 and automatic transmission.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:37 AM   #3

My vehicle has the 3.73 rear end, 4x2, and 5-speed automatic transmission. Has the ClassIII/IV towing package. There is a site on the web that you can put in your VIN number and it gives you all of your vehicles details. On a different site from Ford, I found that my vehicle can tow a max of 7,300 lbs but I wanted to keep it at 6k or lower. Another web site said the 6,740 lbs towing capacity. Also, my mechanic says I should have no problem pulling either of these TT. I'm just trying to be careful and not get into something I can't get out of. I appreciate your comment. What would you recommend to safely pull either of these TT?
Old 04-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #4

The limiting factor with either of these trailers is not the Explorer's "tow rating," but the tow vehicle's payload capacity. You will need a tow vehicle with substantially more payload than the Explorer. Check the yellow sticker in your driver's side door; it will likely be in the range of 1,000 lbs.

The Rockwood 2104S weighs 4,816 empty; if you add just half of its carrying capacity you are now at 5,616 lbs. The Rockwood's "empty" tongue weight is 560 lbs (11.6 percent of its empty weight). Loaded, your tongue weight will be more than 650 lbs. Now add the weight of your hitch; say 100 lbs. With the Explorer's payload capacity of 1,000 lbs, that leaves little margin for any other weight in the tow vehicle itself.

I think you are looking at any of the half-ton trucks to tow the Rockwood or the Flagstaff; or a large SUV like an Expedition or Suburban.

My first trailer was about the weight of the Rockwood / Flagstaff you are considering; I was not happy towing it with a Toyota Sequoia equipped with the 4.7 V-8. We quickly upgraded to a Chevy Avalanche with a 6.0L and 4.10 gears.

Good luck - Hope this helps.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLenz View Post
Hi everyone. I am going to be purchasing a new Flagstaff 21D or Rockwood 2104S in 1 to 2 months. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer with towing package, V6, 4.0/245, 254 Torque @ 3700 RPMs. With a Weight Distribution Hitch, I can tow 6740 lbs. Will I be ok to tow up hills without any problems? I am planning on living in the TT and just live out my life seeing our beautiful USA. Thanks in advance
You will struggle up hills with that unit and may be at your max , you can do it but will wish you had more in the power and payload dept
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #6

what are the specifics for your SUV? and your payload number? Your Payload Number can be found on your front door Drivers side sticker.

In addition, many SUV's have a frontal area rating listing for towing. This is because the Camper behind you ascts a giant board that you have to push through the wind
Old 04-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
My vehicle has the 3.73 rear end, 4x2, and 5-speed automatic transmission. Has the ClassIII/IV towing package. There is a site on the web that you can put in your VIN number and it gives you all of your vehicles details. On a different site from Ford, I found that my vehicle can tow a max of 7,300 lbs but I wanted to keep it at 6k or lower. Another web site said the 6,740 lbs towing capacity. Also, my mechanic says I should have no problem pulling either of these TT. I'm just trying to be careful and not get into something I can't get out of. I appreciate your comment. What would you recommend to safely pull either of these TT?
You need to download the 2002 Ford Towing Guide and read the Explorer tow ratings.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 04-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #8

Thank you Go West and Mr. M. I did download from Ford, the towing PDF. It says 7,300 lbs with my 3.73 rear end and class III/IV towing package. That is why I'm asking you experts. I don't want to get in over my head.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vehicle Tag.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	200900 This is the tag inside the door. Maybe this will help. I'm just not sure what it all means.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #10

In addition to the sticker you posted, do you see a label like this called "Tire and Loading Information." It should also be on your driver's door post or vehicle door edge. This will list your Explorer's specific payload capacity. (These examples display payload capacities of 882 lbs and 1,664 lbs.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vehicle Information Label.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	200940  

Old 04-05-2019, 10:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you Go West and Mr. M. I did download from Ford, the towing PDF. It says 7,300 lbs with my 3.73 rear end and class III/IV towing package. That is why I'm asking you experts. I don't want to get in over my head.
You misread the 2002 Ford Towing guide. The 7300lbs towing capacity is for the 4.6 V-8 only.

You stated you have the 4.0 v-6. It has a max of 5940lbs towing capacity, with the proper equipment.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:14 AM   #12

Go West - There are no other stickers anywhere other than the one I posted.

Thank you all for helping me determine that I Can NOT pull the RV I wanted to purchase. You guys are great !!! Thanks again for all your help.

I have no choice but to purchase a Truck that can pull around 10k lbs. Does that make sense?
Old 04-07-2019, 01:22 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:

I have no choice but to purchase a Truck that can pull around 10k lbs. Does that make sense?
Yes. But be sure you understand the important factors in choosing a tow vehicle.
1. Payload Capacity is the most important, since you'll always run out of payload capacity before getting close to towing capacity.
2. Towing Capacity, after payload capacity.
3. Factory Tow package, preferably HD or Max Tow.
4. WDH with integrated sway control.

A newer well-equipped 1/2 ton should easily tow that trailer.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:31 AM   #14

bikendan - thanks. I won't be able to purchase anything that new. I have a very limited amount of money. Thanks for the list on what is most important. I really appreciate your help.

So your F150 with that little engine can pull this trailer without any problem?
Old 04-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
bikendan - thanks. I won't be able to purchase anything that new. I have a very limited amount of money. Thanks for the list on what is most important. I really appreciate your help.

So your F150 with that little engine can pull this trailer without any problem?
The 3.5 EcoBoost v-6 is a towing monster. This is well known in the Towing Community.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yes. But be sure you understand the important factors in choosing a tow vehicle.
1. Payload Capacity is the most important, since you'll always run out of payload capacity before getting close to towing capacity.
2. Towing Capacity, after payload capacity.
3. Factory Tow package, preferably HD or Max Tow.
4. WDH with integrated sway control.

A newer well-equipped 1/2 ton should easily tow that trailer.
That's a good list that Bikendan posted. One note, many half-ton trucks will not have a "max tow" package but may still be suitable tow vehicles for the Flagstaff 21D / Rockwood 2104S, given their relatively low gross vehicle weight (GVW). My truck does not have a tow package, but it has some of the equipment included in tow packages such as transmission and engine oil coolers (standard in newer Titans). I use auxiliary tow mirrors and installed my own brake controller (wider mirrors & brake controller would typically be part of an optional tow package). The good thing is that the trailers you are looking at are relatively light and even with tongue weights approaching 750 lbs, you should be able to tow with most of the newer half-ton trucks. The vehicle's payload sticker is the first thing to look at on any truck you are considering.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go West View Post
The limiting factor with either of these trailers is not the Explorer's "tow rating," but the tow vehicle's payload capacity. You will need a tow vehicle with substantially more payload than the Explorer. Check the yellow sticker in your driver's side door; it will likely be in the range of 1,000 lbs.

The Rockwood 2104S weighs 4,816 empty; if you add just half of its carrying capacity you are now at 5,616 lbs. The Rockwood's "empty" tongue weight is 560 lbs (11.6 percent of its empty weight). Loaded, your tongue weight will be more than 650 lbs. Now add the weight of your hitch; say 100 lbs. With the Explorer's payload capacity of 1,000 lbs, that leaves little margin for any other weight in the tow vehicle itself.

I think you are looking at any of the half-ton trucks to tow the Rockwood or the Flagstaff; or a large SUV like an Expedition or Suburban.

My first trailer was about the weight of the Rockwood / Flagstaff you are considering; I was not happy towing it with a Toyota Sequoia equipped with the 4.7 V-8. We quickly upgraded to a Chevy Avalanche with a 6.0L and 4.10 gears.

Good luck - Hope this helps.
Actually for this particular vehicle the towing capacity is very much the limiting factor. I had one also (2006) and it struggled just pulling a cargo trailer with camping equipment in the mountains. We had 4 people in it and I'm guessing I had less than 2000 lbs in trailer being towed, it was dismal. I Know most vehicles the payload is the limiting factor, but from my experience 5K +/- behind one of those will lead to a shortened drivetrain life, and just generally not happy experience.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #18

Since my 2002 Ford Explorer won't pull this TT, I'm looking at a new Ram 1500. Here are some of the specs. Let me know if this is a good choice. Thanks in advance.

Vehicle Name: Ram 1500
Body Style: Quad Cab
Body Code: T
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive
Passenger Capacity: 6
Gross Axle Wt Rating - Front: 3700
Gross Axle Wt Rating - Rear: 4100
Curb Weight - Front: 2844
Curb Weight - Rear: 2047
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Cap: 6800
Fuel Economy Est-Combined: 22
EPA Fuel Economy Est - City: 20
EPA Fuel Economy Est - Hwy: 25
Gross Combined Wt Rating: 11900
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.: 6640
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.: 664
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.: 6640
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.: 664
Maximum Trailering Capacity: 6640
Engine Order Code: EZL
Engine Type: Regular Unleaded V-8
Displacement: 5.7 L/345
Fuel System: Sequential MPI
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM: 395 @ 5600
SAE Net Torque @ RPM: 410 @ 3950
Trans Order Code: DFT
Trans Type: 8
Trans Description Cont.: Automatic w/OD
Old 04-11-2019, 11:38 PM   #19
Site Team

Larry, you need to find out what the Ram's payload sticker says.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #20

bikendan, I was just looking online to find a truck I can afford. My house is up for sale, and as soon as it is sold, and I have the money, I'll be looking in person and will take a photo of the Ram's payload sticker and post it. I might even post a few just so you can help me select the correct truck for me. As always bikendan, I truly appreciate your help in this very confusing matter.

Tags