Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #141

The light came on about 1-2 miles from the service facility
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #142

That will teach me a lesson to pay attention when someone or I, top off the DEF tank. Hopefully not a expensive repair
Old 10-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #143

Anybody know the viscosity of DEF fluid vs Diesel fuel? Hopefully the two do not blend and the DEF sunk to the bottom and got trapped in the filters.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGREG View Post
Cummins Diesel dilema! It seems that about 1-2 pints of DEF fluid had been added to the fuel tank! The water in fuel light came on while on the way to take it to a service facility. The plan is to have them drain the Filter and hope no damage occured. Has anyone had a simular occurrence or situation. I called the dealer and of course they tell me that a major fuel system repair might be in order or at least might have been compromised. I took the truck to a very reputable service facility and was advised that they sought that any significant damage occurred. They will drain the filters and worse case scenario drain the tank and change out the filters. Anyone else had any similar occurrence? I was planning on towing my 5th wheel for a camping trip in New England in two days!

had a friend do that last week . dealer told him don't even start it . had his tank pulled and fuel system flushed . seems that def in the fuel can burn up your injectors real fast
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #145

How much did that repair set him back?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #146
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Cummins Diesel dilema! It seems that about 1-2 pints of DEF fluid had been added to the fuel tank! The water in fuel light came on while on the way to take it to a service facility. The plan is to have them drain the Filter and hope no damage occured. Has anyone had a simular occurrence or situation. I called the dealer and of course they tell me that a major fuel system repair might be in order or at least might have been compromised. I took the truck to a very reputable service facility and was advised that they sought that any significant damage occurred. They will drain the filters and worse case scenario drain the tank and change out the filters. Anyone else had any similar occurrence? I was planning on towing my 5th wheel for a camping trip in New England in two days!
Hopefully you didnt run it long. With that small of amount hopefully it wont do much, wouldn't think it could be too bad if didnt run very long. DEF is fairly corosive I've heard, and there are alot of instances of a larger amount of def in diesel tanks ruining the whole fuel system on diesels. When i was working at a dealership a couple years ago I seen some fuel systems cost $15k all the way up to $26k from trashed injector pumps sending shrapnel thru the system from contamination from gas, and def can be just as bad or worse.
Hopefully your water separator caught some and you got it shut off in time!
Good luck!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #147

If youre going to drop the cash, i suggest you drive evrything from everyone, the Ram is super nice but so are the GM products as well as the Superduty. I certainly shopped all big 3 trucks before selecting my F450 6.7

Ultimitely, i chose the F450 Platinum because it really only came in a Max Tow model. With Ram i realized there were way too many configurations and it was extremely hard to tell which one i was looking at on the lot.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #148

Quote:
CTGREG, There was thread over on Diesel Truck Resources in the Ram forum about this. An owner did the same thing. It was looking pretty serious but I lost track of the thread. Might be worth a look. Good luck. Let us know what the outcome is, we might learn something here.

Jim
Old 10-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #149

During my research on gas vs diesel I did see a few topics on various boards exactly the same as yours. The end result of the def got to the injectors is not good. The def forms crystals when it mixes with the oil. They continue to grow and line the tank with particulate. Bad news for any modern diesel fuel system. Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #150

Here is a update. I called a Cummins service center in CALIFORNIA as they are 3 hours behind east coast. Not good. They told me that it takes as little as a cup to contaminate the fuel. The tank would have to be dropped, emptied and completely cleaned. Then the fuel lines are to be flushed. You will also need to clenched and flush some sort of diesel fuel control module. After that, replace the filters and if the fuel got to the injectors, they need to be flushed and replaced. After all is done, replace everything and put some additives into the fuel to clean any particulate of crystals that may have been missed. My local Dodge dealer is booked up in the truck center for at least a week or two. I called the local Cummins service center, and they can not do it as it is in a pick up truck. I then called my insurance adjuster and fortunately it is covered under Comprehensive coverage. Good thing. Initial estimates have come back as in the range of 5-10 thousand dollars. After this is solved, I am going to get a locking fuel cap if it is available. The Rams do,not have caps on them. I can only imagine the damage that would occur if someone vandalized the truck by putting some water in the fill neck. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES! BE CAREFUL ABOUT TOPPING OFF FLUIDS!
Old 10-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #151

Thanks for the resource link. I am pasting a comment on that forum here. "On an Rv site I frequent there is talk of someone putting a couple of cups left in the bottom of the DEF container into the fuel by accident and then drove it until the "water in fuel "light came on, I didn't realize this was so common. Anyway the truck was a 2013 Ford but just as easily been a 2013/14 Ram, the cost of repairs was $14,000, the entire fuel system has to be replaced, apparently the crystals do not stop growing even if the filters are replaced and the system flushed, eventually they will clog an injector open and hydroloc then BANG. While GM thought to have the DEF refill under the hood Ford and Ram thought differently and Ram even left the fuel cap off to make it easier. Heads up all."
Old 10-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #152

I assume that my driving 4 miles to the garage might not have been enough elapsed time/mileage for the crystals to,have formed. Fingers and toes are crossed.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Is it possible the 7 mph difference can pick up nearly an extra 2mpg??? I guess but it seems like a big % gain. My MDS was pretty active on the flats at anything below 70mph. The truck does seem happiest at 75-78 mph. Still below 2k rpms and in 6th gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
With 12,000miles so far, at 70 we get 18-20. At 80 14-16. Below 72 the mds is on quite a bit. At 80 it rarely kicks on on flat ground, mostly just downhill.

6.4 with 3.73.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #154

I agree not having a Fuel Cap on the Ram 2500 is to me an Issue, I always put a rag over the Fuel fill while adding Def .. And as a habit, I always fill the def first and make sure the cap is back on tight before I Fuel.. I wonder if you could put a cap on the fuel fill

Greetings from Wisconsin
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #155

Quote:
How much did that repair set him back?
About $350 with a new water sensor
Old 10-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #156

Quote:
I assume that my driving 4 miles to the garage might not have been enough elapsed time/mileage for the crystals to,have formed. Fingers and toes are crossed.
hate to tell you but the crystals form almost immediately . you dealing with mostly distilled water and UREA . that stuff is bad news . my friend was lucky he noticed what he did .never started the truck and had it towed to a garage . took them a good part of the day to do the work .

I've hear others have paid as much as 13,000 or more for new fuel system and injectors .
Old 10-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #157

Several people I know are using a 2 inch boiler plug for a fuel cap.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #158

I first thought that having the Def tank under the hood in my 2013 2500 was an inconvenience but having heard these reports I think GM may have had a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #159

So far, I might be a little lucky. Mechanics said that there are no indications that the contaminates got past the filters. Everything flushed and the insurance agreed to cover the filters back. This means the filters, lines, sensor / sending unit, low pressure pump and a new tank. If the contaminates got to the high pressure pump, that would have been 6,000 plus the cost of injectors. Thank goodness for insurance.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #160

Pullin' for ya...

Tags