Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #1

new 5'er and towing

Hi ladies and gentlemen

Its been awhile since I posted anything but here goes. I have been towing my TT about 7'000 lbs loaded with my Dodge 2500. 6.7 L diesel engine and the 6 speed auto tranny. Now I use the tow mode but never have to down shift and tow sometimes in cruise control on an open highway, no problem. I have just bought a 5th wheel that weighs about 11'500 dry so maybe 12'500 after loaded. What my question is Should I or can I still tow in overdrive (6th gear) or should I tow in 5th gear using the tow mode of course. I also have the engine brake on this truck. I know it may be a silly question but I have not towed anything this heavy with the truck before. Thanks Maxwell18
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Always Learning

Just FYI- your numbers are likely low estimates.

I have a similar weighted camper - advertised specs were 11,500 dry. Delivered it was 12,300 and my first trip of the season it weighed 13,800 without propane or food or drinking water (and without the crap we accumulate thru the year). It'll likely weigh 14,500 by the end of the season.

You may want to read my thread on my recent trip to the scales.

For me, I hit the tow/haul button and exhaust brake when we hit the road towing and don't look back.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Always Learning

The thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...bok-37145.html

I also wrote a recent set of blog posts about it (essentially summarize the thread);
http://learntorv.blogspot.com/2013/0...at-scales.html

Hope it helps. My concern for you is less which gears to use for towing and moreso, are you able to be within your truck's ratings towing that fiver?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

As for using your cruise control, set it and try it. If your truck "hunts" for the lower gear often while driving nor normal routes, then you may need to lock it down to 5th. With tow/haul on, that normally just keep the tranny in a certain gear longer to aid in acceleration. For the Fords, it also provides the engine braking.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #5

Same with our weights our trailer info said about 5-600 lbs less than it came in weighing .....

I always us the tow-haul mode towing but if I didn't the truck would down shift often..... Check your owners manual..... Not too much flat ground here.... Just me personally I do not use the cruise towing. Too many crazy things happen on the open road ................... & too much traffic too many hills / mountains....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote