Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

New 5th Hitch, new Pin Box, or Both?????

Been looking through old threads and new threads, but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I'm going to upgrade my hitch, but I want to find out what the good people of this forum think. Should I buy an air ride type of fifth wheel hitch, or buy a new hitch (thinking Curt 20k) and an air ride type pin box? The combination I've been contemplating is the Curt 20k and a MorRyde pin box, which is also the cheaper route. The other option is to go with a Hensley or an AirBox hitch and use stock pin box. Time to weigh in, if money were no option (and we all know it's an option) and what's the best "bang for the buck".
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Always Learning

I'm a newbie and never had a fifth wheel before this. I started and still have a B&W Companion hitch (fixed) in the truck because I liked what I read. My plan is to get a TrailAir TriGlide pin box - possibly before our Florida trip this winter.

I can't tell you it's best *or even good* because I don't have it nor do I have anything to compare it to. But, it's my plan.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
Been looking through old threads and new threads, but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I'm going to upgrade my hitch, but I want to find out what the good people of this forum think. Should I buy an air ride type of fifth wheel hitch, or buy a new hitch (thinking Curt 20k) and an air ride type pin box? The combination I've been contemplating is the Curt 20k and a MorRyde pin box, which is also the cheaper route. The other option is to go with a Hensley or an AirBox hitch and use stock pin box. Time to weigh in, if money were no option (and we all know it's an option) and what's the best "bang for the buck".

I have a standard Husky 16KS FW hitch mounted in my 2012 Ram 3/4 ton pick up. My Silverback 29rk has the standard pin box.

This works for us because we do not venture off paved highways/roads with the exception of when we pull into the RV park.

We experience the occasional "bumps and jerks" sometimes while traveling on the road, but nothing we can't live with (hey we are pulling a 34 foot FW).

I looked at all the fancy hitchs and air gliders out there and decided we don't need them for our type travem - jus more money and parts to have trouble with later.

So IMO it depends on where you travel and how much comfort you want.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've read that the ultimate in towing is the Trailer Saver hitch with a MorRyde or Trail Air Roto Flex pinbox. The rubber mounted king pin isolates the back and forth movement (chucking) and the air mounted hitch absorbs the up and down motion. Cost about $3000. Does it eliminate all motion? Not totally.

I have a std pinbox and Reese Pro 15K and have gotten some 'chucking' on the concrete interstates. On a recent 2300 mile trip, I had 'chucking' for about 10 miles on I69 in MI. (MI wins the nods for the poorest roads on our trip). The 'chucking' is from the road...change lanes and it's gone. In the last trip of 1100 miles, we experienced none.

If I had the option of having a MorRyde or Roto Flex pinbox at a reasonable cost when the camper was ordered, I would have done it.

In my mind, too expensive of an upgrade to help solve a minor problem.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #5

I have the Curt 20K with 5thAB pin box, 1ton DRW dodge pulls 35' Cardinal. I do not know the pin weight.

Anyway I have found the 5thAB has made alot of difference in the ride. With that being said I have also found a difference is trailer balance. I get a little better ride when I have fresh water in the tank instead of the fresh tank empty. I beleive your ride depends alot on the load thats in the trailer, as to how it handles the road. To better my ride I am looking at air bags for the truck instead of working more with the pin box hitch area. I have to remember its a 1t truck and it rides like a truck.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I just put airbags on my truck, even though I didn't have any bad experiences before. My thought now is to go with an air ride hitch to further reduce the effects of chucking and to relieve stress on the trailer frame.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
In my mind, too expensive of an upgrade to help solve a minor problem.

Dave
I think so too.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I also think its too pricey to just reduce chucking, but I'm wondering, since I'm buying new hitch anyway, if it wouldn't be worth it to reduce stress on the Lippert frame.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #9

The tri-glide was a $900 option on my Columbus. Paid less in the end after negotiating.
Seemed less painful to get it with the new RV instead of trying to add it later.

I like the idea of 1 item addressing the problem instead of several things to deal with. Less tinkering maybe. You also have the benefit of adjusting nose height a few inches as needed/desired.

Upgrading your trailer's suspension has alot of other benefits besides maybe reducing chucking. A big project definately.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I also think its too pricey to just reduce chucking, but I'm wondering, since I'm buying new hitch anyway, if it wouldn't be worth it to reduce stress on the Lippert frame.
This is a very valid point.
"Chucking" definitely stresses the pin box attachment welds.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I've posted before suggesting to the manufacturer's reps on here to consider pinbox options that could be offered. From pricing I've obtained, the MorRyde or RotoFlex pinbox is only $100 - 200 more than the standard Lippert pinbox. They didn't seem to get too excited with that idea.

Swapping out the std pinbox for a MorRyde or RotoFlex after purchase causes too much puckering for me.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You would think they would be more than willing to add one, if its going to help extend the life of their frames. I am definitely puckering at the thought.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #13

I purchased a Trailair pin box in 2003 and have used it on three different trailers. For me, makes a big difference in the ride quality. Probably the single best thing I have purchased for any of my trailers. Very well made & virtually no maintenance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2130475875.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	20594
dezeldad is offline   Reply With Quote