Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

New a little help

I went to the manufactures info on towing as RV Guy recommended.
I have a Dodge Ram diesel 2500 with the crewcab short bed 3.73 gear.
GVWR 9000 -
Payload 2100 -
Base Weight 6903-
GAWR Front 5000 -
Rear 6000 _
GCWR 2000
MaxTrailer 12,950 lbs.

I am looking at my first fifth wheel PimeTime Sanibel 3600.
Shipping weight 12640 -
carrying capacity 2,801 -
Hitch 2335.

Am I to assume based on the manufactures info this unit is to large for my truck. Is that correct?
I live in the southeast (Georgia) moderate hills and max elevations through the smokey mts would be around 5000 ft.
Any help on this is greatly appreciated

Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I recall that someone else posted on here recently asking a similiar question about towing capacity with his Ram 2500. The issue is the 3.73 rear end ratio. If it came equipped with 4.10, the max towing capacity and GCWR is 2000 lbs higher. Even with the higher ratio you'd be bumping against the max as that camper will probably be 14000 lbs or more loaded.

At that weight loaded, the pin weight should be around 2800 lbs assuming 20%. There's people out there towing that kind of pin weight with a 2500, but IMHO you're in one ton territory, preferrably a DRW. They will also have a higher rated towing capacity.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
H2oski

Yep it looks like a 1 ton. here are your numbers, I had to make some assumptions because I only went off your numbers. Bottom line up front Truck GVWR over 663 pouds, GCWR Gross combined Over weight 2300 lbs. Now i'm no weight police but their is now way I would put my family in that situation.

Like i said I had to make a couple of guesses on numbers.

Tow Vehicle Specifications
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) 9,000
GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating) 20,000
Curb Weight (Empty Weight) 6,903
Reserve Tow Vehicle Cargo Capacity 2,097
Gross Trailer Weight Rating (GTWR) 13,097
Tow Vehicle Options, Cargo, Passengers
Driver 150
Passengers 125
Fuel (gas 6.2 lb/gal, diesel 7.0 lb/gal) 0
Hitch 150
Weight Added (Total) 425
New Tow Vehicle Weights w/o Trailer
GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight - Total) 7,328
Gross Trailer Weight Rating (GTWR) 12,672

Trailer Specifications
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) 15,000
Axle Weight 12,640
Hitch Weight 2,335
Weight Calculated (Total) 14,975
Hitch (Pin) Weight % 16%

Calculated Trailer Weights
GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) 14,975
Optional Hitch (Pin) % Adjustment (Note 4) 16%
GAW (Gross Axle Weight) 12,640
Hitch (Pin) Weight 2,335
Reserve Trailer Cargo Capacity 25
New Tow Vehicle Weights w/ Trailer
GVW w/ Trailer (Total) 9,663
Reserve Tow Vehicle Cargo Capacity -663
GCW w/ Trailer (Gross Combined Weight) 22,303
Reserve Towing Capacity -2,303
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #4

Actually, maybe I can help here with some real-world numbers. We just weighed our Sanibel 3500 (specs very close to the 3600).

We're at 13,620.
Pin weight is 18.4% -- 2500

Both numbers could be considerably higher, but I don't think we'll be loading in much more (famous last words I'm sure).
Old 01-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw549 View Post
Am I to assume based on the manufactures info this unit is to large for my truck. Is that correct?
I live in the southeast (Georgia) moderate hills and max elevations through the smokey mts would be around 5000 ft.
Any help on this is greatly appreciated
I am so glad you are doing this before you buy a camper too large to tow. Typically folks show up here after their first trip with a camper "the dealer assured me my truck could handle" still white knuckled and with a wife who swears she won't camp with him again.

You are getting great advice here.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
McClain Performance Diesel Rep

Hello I am a shop owner and have had a fleet of over the road trucks. I also tow fifthweel and goose neck trailers when I am not in my performance diesel shop.
I have used a Automated Safety Hitch System to tow safely around the US and Canada. The Safety Hitch with it's steerable axle makes your turns much easier.
For most installations this has the effect of shortening the trailer 25 to 30 percent.
The Automated Safety Hitch can handle pin weights up to 6,300 pounds, this translates to a trailer having a gross weight up to 30,000 pounds.
The Aumated Safety Hitch works with Vans,Suvs,Full Sizes PU, Short Bed,lifted trucks, and Avalanch type Crossover type Vehicles.
The Safety Hitch not only has a steerable axle, it has hydraulic disc brakes which makes stopping a sure thing.
I have had Dodge 3/4 ton 1 ton and 4500, I use a single rear wheel duramax diesel to tow with my Automated Safety Hitch and it works! I had some skeptics when I first towed RV'S from the factory, however after seeing how this unit works and hearing about the better mileage they were amazed! This is better and more stable than a dually your truck becomes a spread axel tandem in some regards.
You can look them up on the web, They have great web site.
Jerry
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #7

Although the Automated Safety Hitch cannot help you pull the trailer, it can help you control it and stop it. Discussions about it can be found in the Automated Safety Hitch thread.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO 1 DIESEL DR View Post
Hello I am a shop owner and have had a fleet of over the road trucks. I also tow fifthweel and goose neck trailers when I am not in my performance diesel shop.
I have used a Automated Safety Hitch System to tow safely around the US and Canada. The Safety Hitch with it's steerable axle makes your turns much easier.
For most installations this has the effect of shortening the trailer 25 to 30 percent.
The Automated Safety Hitch can handle pin weights up to 6,300 pounds, this translates to a trailer having a gross weight up to 30,000 pounds.
The Aumated Safety Hitch works with Vans,Suvs,Full Sizes PU, Short Bed,lifted trucks, and Avalanch type Crossover type Vehicles.
The Safety Hitch not only has a steerable axle, it has hydraulic disc brakes which makes stopping a sure thing.
I have had Dodge 3/4 ton 1 ton and 4500, I use a single rear wheel duramax diesel to tow with my Automated Safety Hitch and it works! I had some skeptics when I first towed RV'S from the factory, however after seeing how this unit works and hearing about the better mileage they were amazed! This is better and more stable than a dually your truck becomes a spread axel tandem in some regards.
You can look them up on the web, They have great web site.
Jerry
Jerry,

Join us over in the Automated Safety Hitch thread.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #9

According to your numbers...yes you would be over max weight for your truck. There are many things to consider when your thinking about such a large unit. Your truck would probably tow the trailer and you may have no problems however you are going to be wearing things on your truck at a much faster rate. Tires, oil, gears, tranny, brakes, engine, coolers, frame, all will be working at more than they should be. So I think the question comes down to should you tow the unit with your truck or could you.

Could you....yes.
Should you....you decide.

I know some disagree here on the forum about whats safe to tow.......you have to decide if your truck is capable of towing the unit, can it stop your unit if the brakes on the trailer failed..?..what about in windy conditions..?..towing up hills..? All things to consider.

MHO...if your looking and asking questions about your truck then probably already have your mind made up.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #10

Here is some surprising and confusing information on tow ratings. Apparently its not just the sales person who may be confused. My dodge Ram 2500 4x2 crew cab with 3.73 gear diesel I6 automatic transmission also has the manufacturer confused. Owners manual states Towing 15,450 max with a payload of 2580lbs. The Dodge Ram owners sight posts 13,050 max towing and 2182 payload. A brochure from Dodge states 13,500 max towing on this unit... CRAZY