Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #11
FYI- I have a similar size/weight TT and am over in payload but under in tow capacity. Just low and slow- everyone else can go around!

2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #12
As well... with your question it would depend on your travel plans. Short distance vs long; hills vs flat terrain. If your travelling any distance and adding all the things some of us travel with; bikes, wood, generater, and kids and dog. I would definitely get yourself weighed and purchase all the previously mentioned items.

I have a 2012 Ram, TT is roughly the same weight. I fill the back right up as well. I have a weight distribution hitch and I still sag a bit. TT is level, truck lowered in rear. I travel usually within 200 miles. I am planning further trips but will be putting in the airbags before then as the coils need some help.

It would seem to me you are playing close to your limit but depending on the previously mentioned; you may be OK.

Happy Camper
Nova Scotia

Smitty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #13
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
A very conservative estimate for loaded TT is 1000 lbs over dry weight
That is EXTREMELY conservative. Water, filled propane tanks, batteries, and a spare tire alone will run around 600 lbs over the estimated dry weight. Add in a decent WDH with sway control and hitch.. probably close to another 80-100. That doesn't leave much for personal equipment/food/clothing/linens/tools/extra fuel/etc etc.

I usually estimate "dry" (basic essentials every rig will have on board not included in the published dry weight) around 1000 lbs not including any personal items. Then a conservative personal gear/food/tools/toys/generators/etc etc load out around 1500 lbs.

With that alone he would be 200 lbs over. Add another adult... and so on. It's the little stuff that adds up fast.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #14
I have a Ram 1500 and it tows quite well. I think you'll be fine, but I'd like to know more about your truck and trailer. Tongue weight, motor, etc. WDH for sure and probably airbags....
John and Linda
2016 Rockwood 2604WS
2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
2015 - 36 nights
2016 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #15
My Ram 1500 handles my 32' trailer just fine. If you properly set up your WDH and have sway bars you should not have an issue.

2015 Evo 2700
2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn Hemi
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #16
Does anyone have the auto air suspension leveling on their Ram? I've heard that the wdh and aie suspension conflict with each other.
stryke-force is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #17
Originally Posted by bballcoach View Post
Just bought a Ram 1500 with 8600lb towing capacity and a Wildwood Heritage Glen Lite with unloaded weight of 6350 lb. I'm beginning to think I have the wrong truck.

Will a weight distribution hitch help with keeping the payload weight within reason? The tt is 32' so I guess a sway bar system will be in order too. Again, first time at this and I want to make sure I'm doing everything within reason and safely.

What model are you getting/have? I have a ram 1500 and tow a heritage glen and my dry weight on the TT is 7400ish and 31'long and pulls great. I wouldn't want to pull a larger one with the 1500 but the ram does good. Also I installed the air bags in the back to help out the soft coil springs and love the way it pulls. I also have a wdh rated for 10,000 lbs and 1000 tongue weight. It's a "FASTWAY " brand made by the same company that makes equalizer hitches.
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #18
Site Team
Originally Posted by stryke-force View Post
Does anyone have the auto air suspension leveling on their Ram? I've heard that the wdh and aie suspension conflict with each other.
I had this on my old armada, after struggling to set things up right with my old reese dual cam, we discovered the answer was to turn the auto leveling suspension off when adjusting the wdh. Get your measurements correct, then turn the system back on and go check your adjustments by weight. The only way we could turn our system off was to hook up and shut the truck off before that could kick in. Some vehicles have a switch and some you pull a fuse.

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote