Old 04-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
New at Towing-help

Just bought a Ram 1500 with 8600lb towing capacity and a Wildwood Heritage Glen Lite with unloaded weight of 6350 lb. I'm beginning to think I have the wrong truck.

Will a weight distribution hitch help with keeping the payload weight within reason? The tt is 32' so I guess a sway bar system will be in order too. Again, first time at this and I want to make sure I'm doing everything within reason and safely.

bballcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
bballcoach - you've come to the right place for "discussion" simply Yes you'll want weight distribution and with a 1/2 ton and 32 feet - sway control will be a good idea I'm sure you'll get much better information soon from much more experienced folks here as for weight distribution hitch (WDH) itll move weight around to truck and trailer axels, Im afraid you might run into payload issues being a 1/2 you'll need to research the #'s and get to a CAT scale to get some numbers

mikdanmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
That's a pretty good load for half ton. EQ hitch......yes, and consider air bags for the truck.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Most 1500 owners have issues with the soft coil suspension on the rear. I'd say that air bags are definitely in order to firm that up. Your truck most likely has a stickered payload in the 1K to 1.2K range, depending upon how it's optioned. It's up to you to decide if the truck is capable of carrying more than a Ford Ranger or Honda minivan(bothy have 1250-1350 CCC typically) or if you want to stay under the listed capacity. You'll definitely want a GOOD WDH. I recommend at LEAST an Equalizer 4 point, but the ProPride 3P is awesome if you can stomach the price tag. If you plan on camping for years to come, I suggest you look seriously at it.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
Site Team
As I understand it, wdh will not lessen your tongue weight nor increase your truck's payload. It only moves some of the weight to the front axle allowing the truck to sit more level. Yes, you will notice a huge improvement in handling with wdh and antisway. Would not tow TT without either.
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
As much as I hate to say it... I think you mighta bit off a little more than your 1500 can chew. You will most definitely be overweight. No question about that... but with air bags, a 'really' decent WDH and sway control bars you can probably get by if you stay in the low lands, don't travel too far, and not very often. A lot of folks regularly tow over weight. Pretty harsh on your rig though... no to mention your gas mileage will certainly be in the pits. lol

Personally, I wouldn't. Especially if you haven't done much towing. It's just not worth the risk to myself and especially others. Moving up to a 2500 would give you a lot more breathing room, better control, and would leave you with some room to grow if you decide to upgrade to a heavier rig down the road.

Just my .02
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
As I understand it, wdh will not lessen your tongue weight
Good point. It kind of cancels itself out. If your trailer is pitched down on the hitch, then leveling it in line with the TV will decrease the trailers pin weight to some degree, but then you're also adding on a decent amount a weight back on just from the added hardware of a WDH and sway bars.

It's probably a wash at the pin, but will.. as you said.. balance out the weight load to all 4 axles as opposed to the brunt of it on the forward trailer axle and TV's rear end.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
What motor?
Gleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
OP- I am assuming that you purchased a '15 Ram 1500. Here's a link to super springs and what they have available for your truck. It will help getting the back end more level. I am using them on my Tundra and helped my towing confidence greatly. The staff are great to talk with and really want to help you out.
2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
You will not be overweight. But you will be utilizing the Ram to it's full potential. Since you already have both vehicles purchase, you might as well try it out on a couple of local trips.

A very conservative estimate for loaded TT is 1000 lbs over dry weight, which puts you at around 7300. 8600-7300 = 1300 lbs left for passengers and stuff in the truck. Do you have 1300 lbs of passengers and stuff you need to put in the truck?

Your 12-13% TW will be 876-949 lbs.Go to and order the 10k/1000 Equal-I-zer WDH, which has integrated 4pt sway control. Also be sure you have a good brake controller. Also from RVW, you can order the Tekonsha P2 or P3. Either one is highly recommended here (P3 has more bling).

Take a few local trips this camping season. If you just don't like the way it feels, stat shopping for a 3/4-ton pickup. If you think there is a possibility of a 5th wheel in your future, you might as well think 1-ton.

But your 1/2-ton will do the job, without being overloaded.

thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote