Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #1

New at Towing-help

Just bought a Ram 1500 with 8600lb towing capacity and a Wildwood Heritage Glen Lite with unloaded weight of 6350 lb. I'm beginning to think I have the wrong truck.

Will a weight distribution hitch help with keeping the payload weight within reason? The tt is 32' so I guess a sway bar system will be in order too. Again, first time at this and I want to make sure I'm doing everything within reason and safely.

Thanks
bballcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #2

bballcoach - you've come to the right place for "discussion" simply Yes you'll want weight distribution and with a 1/2 ton and 32 feet - sway control will be a good idea I'm sure you'll get much better information soon from much more experienced folks here as for weight distribution hitch (WDH) itll move weight around to truck and trailer axels, Im afraid you might run into payload issues being a 1/2 you'll need to research the #'s and get to a CAT scale to get some numbers
mikdanmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #3

That's a pretty good load for half ton. EQ hitch......yes, and consider air bags for the truck.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #4

Most 1500 owners have issues with the soft coil suspension on the rear. I'd say that air bags are definitely in order to firm that up. Your truck most likely has a stickered payload in the 1K to 1.2K range, depending upon how it's optioned. It's up to you to decide if the truck is capable of carrying more than a Ford Ranger or Honda minivan(bothy have 1250-1350 CCC typically) or if you want to stay under the listed capacity. You'll definitely want a GOOD WDH. I recommend at LEAST an Equalizer 4 point, but the ProPride 3P is awesome if you can stomach the price tag. If you plan on camping for years to come, I suggest you look seriously at it.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
Site Team

As I understand it, wdh will not lessen your tongue weight nor increase your truck's payload. It only moves some of the weight to the front axle allowing the truck to sit more level. Yes, you will notice a huge improvement in handling with wdh and antisway. Would not tow TT without either.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #6

As much as I hate to say it... I think you mighta bit off a little more than your 1500 can chew. You will most definitely be overweight. No question about that... but with air bags, a 'really' decent WDH and sway control bars you can probably get by if you stay in the low lands, don't travel too far, and not very often. A lot of folks regularly tow over weight. Pretty harsh on your rig though... no to mention your gas mileage will certainly be in the pits. lol

Personally, I wouldn't. Especially if you haven't done much towing. It's just not worth the risk to myself and especially others. Moving up to a 2500 would give you a lot more breathing room, better control, and would leave you with some room to grow if you decide to upgrade to a heavier rig down the road.

Just my .02
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
As I understand it, wdh will not lessen your tongue weight
Good point. It kind of cancels itself out. If your trailer is pitched down on the hitch, then leveling it in line with the TV will decrease the trailers pin weight to some degree, but then you're also adding on a decent amount a weight back on just from the added hardware of a WDH and sway bars.

It's probably a wash at the pin, but will.. as you said.. balance out the weight load to all 4 axles as opposed to the brunt of it on the forward trailer axle and TV's rear end.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #8

What motor?
Gleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #9

OP- I am assuming that you purchased a '15 Ram 1500. Here's a link to super springs and what they have available for your truck. It will help getting the back end more level. I am using them on my Tundra and helped my towing confidence greatly. The staff are great to talk with and really want to help you out.

http://supersprings.com/myvehicle/dodge_1500.asp

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #10

You will not be overweight. But you will be utilizing the Ram to it's full potential. Since you already have both vehicles purchase, you might as well try it out on a couple of local trips.

A very conservative estimate for loaded TT is 1000 lbs over dry weight, which puts you at around 7300. 8600-7300 = 1300 lbs left for passengers and stuff in the truck. Do you have 1300 lbs of passengers and stuff you need to put in the truck?

Your 12-13% TW will be 876-949 lbs.Go to RVWholesalers.com and order the 10k/1000 Equal-I-zer WDH, which has integrated 4pt sway control. Also be sure you have a good brake controller. Also from RVW, you can order the Tekonsha P2 or P3. Either one is highly recommended here (P3 has more bling).

Take a few local trips this camping season. If you just don't like the way it feels, stat shopping for a 3/4-ton pickup. If you think there is a possibility of a 5th wheel in your future, you might as well think 1-ton.

But your 1/2-ton will do the job, without being overloaded.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #11

FYI- I have a similar size/weight TT and am over in payload but under in tow capacity. Just low and slow- everyone else can go around!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #12

As well... with your question it would depend on your travel plans. Short distance vs long; hills vs flat terrain. If your travelling any distance and adding all the things some of us travel with; bikes, wood, generater, and kids and dog. I would definitely get yourself weighed and purchase all the previously mentioned items.

I have a 2012 Ram, TT is roughly the same weight. I fill the back right up as well. I have a weight distribution hitch and I still sag a bit. TT is level, truck lowered in rear. I travel usually within 200 miles. I am planning further trips but will be putting in the airbags before then as the coils need some help.

It would seem to me you are playing close to your limit but depending on the previously mentioned; you may be OK.

Happy Camper
Nova Scotia
Smitty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
A very conservative estimate for loaded TT is 1000 lbs over dry weight
That is EXTREMELY conservative. Water, filled propane tanks, batteries, and a spare tire alone will run around 600 lbs over the estimated dry weight. Add in a decent WDH with sway control and hitch.. probably close to another 80-100. That doesn't leave much for personal equipment/food/clothing/linens/tools/extra fuel/etc etc.

I usually estimate "dry" (basic essentials every rig will have on board not included in the published dry weight) around 1000 lbs not including any personal items. Then a conservative personal gear/food/tools/toys/generators/etc etc load out around 1500 lbs.

With that alone he would be 200 lbs over. Add another adult... and so on. It's the little stuff that adds up fast.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #14

I have a Ram 1500 and it tows quite well. I think you'll be fine, but I'd like to know more about your truck and trailer. Tongue weight, motor, etc. WDH for sure and probably airbags....
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #15

My Ram 1500 handles my 32' trailer just fine. If you properly set up your WDH and have sway bars you should not have an issue.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #16

Does anyone have the auto air suspension leveling on their Ram? I've heard that the wdh and aie suspension conflict with each other.
stryke-force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballcoach View Post
Just bought a Ram 1500 with 8600lb towing capacity and a Wildwood Heritage Glen Lite with unloaded weight of 6350 lb. I'm beginning to think I have the wrong truck.

Will a weight distribution hitch help with keeping the payload weight within reason? The tt is 32' so I guess a sway bar system will be in order too. Again, first time at this and I want to make sure I'm doing everything within reason and safely.

Thanks

What model are you getting/have? I have a ram 1500 and tow a heritage glen and my dry weight on the TT is 7400ish and 31'long and pulls great. I wouldn't want to pull a larger one with the 1500 but the ram does good. Also I installed the air bags in the back to help out the soft coil springs and love the way it pulls. I also have a wdh rated for 10,000 lbs and 1000 tongue weight. It's a "FASTWAY " brand made by the same company that makes equalizer hitches.
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryke-force View Post
Does anyone have the auto air suspension leveling on their Ram? I've heard that the wdh and aie suspension conflict with each other.
I had this on my old armada, after struggling to set things up right with my old reese dual cam, we discovered the answer was to turn the auto leveling suspension off when adjusting the wdh. Get your measurements correct, then turn the system back on and go check your adjustments by weight. The only way we could turn our system off was to hook up and shut the truck off before that could kick in. Some vehicles have a switch and some you pull a fuse.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing